Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have one exactly like that on my Ranger. It is indispensable. Don't need no stinkin electric for my power steering.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'll bite. Where do you get them at?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Amazon, your local auto parts store, ebay, u-name-it.
I have one sitting in its package in my garage.

They're called "suicide knobs". I can elaborate on why they are called that if you like.

·
Registered
29 Posts
this is painful lol I didn't even think about trying that, I just got on the site to see if anyone had any tips for installing a EPS setup. taking it apart is not very fun lol. I wrecked a dirtbike actually a year ago today, fractured a few vertebrae and broken humorous, about a 5" plate and 9 screws.. the break still hasn't fully healed yet so riding the ace is still pretty painful.. that is why im trying the eps setup

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
this is painful lol I didn't even think about trying that, I just got on the site to see if anyone had any tips for installing a EPS setup. taking it apart is not very fun lol. I wrecked a dirtbike actually a year ago today, fractured a few vertebrae and broken humorous, about a 5" plate and 9 screws.. the break still hasn't fully healed yet so riding the ace is still pretty painful.. that is why im trying the eps setup
That is a VERY good reason for getting EPS on a machine. Just ignore anyone who says EPS is unnecessary. It's necessary for you and that's all that you need to hear.
Here are two tips from me regarding the EPS install:
1. Get your dealer to do it.
2. If you are going to do it yourself, check out this thread: http://www.aceforums.net/forum/30-ace-accessories/453-aftermarket-steering-wheel.html#post4127

·
Registered
29 Posts
ok thanks! I saw that post earlier today but I have a different brand so hopefully it wont have the same problems, right now I cant get the steering wheel off lol

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
ok thanks! im gonna check that out now, right now I cant get the steering wheel off lol
A common problem. Use WD-40 or liquid wrench, let it soak in for 30 minutes, and just keep yanking and wiggling.
Not huge amounts of force, just very repetitive. It will eventually come off, just gotta be patient.

·
Registered
29 Posts
yep that's what it took haha, it took me about 3 hours but I finally got it all back togather and didn't have to cut or trim anything, the hardest part was getting the black plastic inside piece back in with the eps in there with it! but I gave it a little test in the back yard and it feels awesome, as smooth as a car or better, I don't know why anyone would hate on that, no smashing fingers when the tire jerks the steering wheel, I still would have tried the steering knob first if I would have thought of it but oh well

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

·
Registered
525 Posts
I don't see anyone here hating on EPS. Different strokes for different folks. Notice my post said for "my" power steering. I don't think the knob would do what you need to do. I think the EPS is perfect for what you need.

I actually have the "suicide knob" on my Ranger to make it turn quicker without having to wrap my hands and arms up when negotiating tight trails. It turns easy enough that it doesn't really need EPS, it just needs quicker steering.

It looks like you have a really nice ACE. I hope it works out well for you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes sir....I got it so I can turn quickly with one hand.

(Actually suicide knob is kind of a misnomer.....spinners are probably used more by handicapped drivers than anyone else.)

·
Registered
525 Posts
I just threw that suicide reference in there for Scoundrel.

I can see where the knob could get a person in trouble if they were driving with their hands on the wheel and weren't paying attention the the knob's location when they turn, but I have my hand on that knob 99.9% of the time when I am driving the Ranger. For some reason the people that lay out the trails here in the East seem to put at least one turn every couple hundred feet or so.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
That's just what I have heard it called before, and it was explained to me that getting your sleeve caught on it was a good way to kill yourself.
I have nothing against it, really.

There have been a few conversations where people came kinda close to hating on EPS, but not all the way there.
It's a pride/macho thing, I think.

·
Registered
420 Posts
ah spinner knobs...reminds me of the old Super M Farmall that my dad had...pulling the disc in 4th gear(only had 5 and 5th was road gear) over plowed ground. You had to hold on tight to that knob because if it slipped out of your hand and that narrow front end caught a rut that knob would come around and usually catch your elbow...damn that hurt :D
loved that old thing...
View attachment 3342
also had a H...at least this pic shows the knob lol
View attachment 3343
these are just random internet pics

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ah spinner knobs...reminds me of the old Super M Farmall that my dad had...pulling the disc in 4th gear(only had 5 and 5th was road gear) over plowed ground. You had to hold on tight to that knob because if it slipped out of your hand and that narrow front end caught a rut that knob would come around and usually catch your elbow...damn that hurt :D
loved that old thing...
View attachment 3342
also had a H...at least this pic shows the knob lol
View attachment 3343
these are just random internet pics
That's right..the old tractors came with them.

(now that's a suicide knob...lol)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts