Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My latest accessory was installed yesterday by GTP Off Road, just in time to try it out this weekend...
I picked up through GTP Off Road a Pro Armor Pro Am Suspension seat, I am hoping this will help smooth out the ride through the dunes and over the whoops!

Here are a couple pictures of the seat in the Ace at the shop right after the install. I think that it's a pretty sexy seat :liebe069:

I can't wait to get it out in the dunes this weekend!

10917813_667224086722296_2703780690330033081_n.jpg
10931496_667224100055628_7197471424456592025_n.jpg

·
Registered
79 Posts
Seat looks great, very interested to hear how it does.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'm assuming it's comfy, but does it feel like it holds you in on the sides?
I know you haven't driven in it, but just a wandering mind that wanted to know... looks comfy sure enough..

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm assuming it's comfy, but does it feel like it holds you in on the sides?
I know you haven't driven in it, but just a wandering mind that wanted to know... looks comfy sure enough..
These seats are super comfy. I have not sat in this one in my Ace, but in other Rzr's. You really feel extra secure, like you are really "in" the seat.. if that makes sense?

·
Registered
36 Posts
These seats are super comfy. I have not sat in this one in my Ace, but in other Rzr's. You really feel extra secure, like you are really "in" the seat.. if that makes sense?

Do you sit any lower in these than stock? I know the suspension in seat adds an inch but without that, the seat alone do you think its any lower?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you sit any lower in these than stock? I know the suspension in seat adds an inch but without that, the seat alone do you think its any lower?
Chris I will let you know after this weekend. I haven't seen it in person. Picking it up from the shop today after work and then headed right to the sand, but I was told it's just about the same, might be an inch higher...

GTP Off Road also added some lights: Two 3 inch 18 watt

And H-Town was over looking at it for cage measurements and some long travel possibilities...

1901181_668012649976773_4342273451164917080_n (1).jpg
10599529_668012626643442_7803607082519179579_n.jpg

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sand Chick, are those Totron cubes? If they are, you will be happy. I am using the same lights for my reverse lights on my cage. I have both the Rigid Dually D2 and the Totron version and with the price difference, the Totrons are a really good choice. For $100/ pair shipped they are a steal compared to the Rigid version at $275 and up for the pair.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sand Chick, are those Totron cubes? If they are, you will be happy. I am using the same lights for my reverse lights on my cage. I have both the Rigid Dually D2 and the Totron version and with the price difference, the Totrons are a really good choice. For $100/ pair shipped they are a steal compared to the Rigid version at $275 and up for the pair.
They are GTP Cubes.. but pretty much the same thing as the Totrons or the Rigids.. they are also $100 shipped. They worked out great! I am going to get a full light bar eventually when I get a aftermarket cage... which it needs GREATLY! I ended up putting it on it's side this weekend coming in too hot into a corner... and my head hit the sand.. thankfully I was wearing a helmet, but if that factory cage was better, I should have never hit my head on anything, being strapped in in the 5 point harness!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
does it still have the slider?
Yes it still has the slider.

The seat was awesome! I still felt a bump or two, as the sand was really tore up.. but it was way better then the factory seat, I sat higher, making visibility better, I felt like I was more part of the machine, like I was really in the seat, and it cushioned everything making the ride very enjoyable! I HIGHLY recommend getting an aftermarket suspension seat!

·
Registered
344 Posts
when I get a aftermarket cage... which it needs GREATLY! I ended up putting it on it's side this weekend coming in too hot into a corner... and my head hit the sand.. thankfully I was wearing a helmet, but if that factory cage was better, I should have never hit my head on anything, being strapped in in the 5 point harness!
Yah, that was my thought too, but then thought well it's out of the way while on trails. My concern was laying it on it's side... so In your opinion, a "Squarer" cage would be better..

I've see a few around and liked them, much like the RZRs but again thought it might be better with the stock inclined one.

thanks...

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I guess if you're in the wide open sand with no concerns about striking trees with it, and driving in such a way that you're gonna roll it, then a wider cage would be better.

Might as well go all out and make it like this one:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Heheh, whoa....
I'd get in the habit of doing "Stupid Stuff" with that one and then forget I had a roll cage on another one...
Funny and fun...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yah, that was my thought too, but then thought well it's out of the way while on trails. My concern was laying it on it's side... so In your opinion, a "Squarer" cage would be better..

I've see a few around and liked them, much like the RZRs but again thought it might be better with the stock inclined one.

thanks...
Yes. As we all know, the sport that we are in is a dangerous one.. having a better cage is important for additional protection.. everyone makes mistakes at one point or another. Which is what I did, my back end slid out and caught in a rut in the sand, that part was not exactly in my control. I should have turned into it, but I don't believe that I did as it happened so fast. But I am not trail riding through the trees at a snail pace either. The places that I do go with trees, a better cage would still not make a difference going through the trees. The aftermarket cages can handle a brush with a tree. And its not like they are any wider that the machine itself.. however there is zero protection with the cage going up and narrowing at the top. You can dump one on its side on a tree lined trail as well. A square cage would create a buffer, by the Ace landing on the cage, instead of just on the body of the machine. Accidents can happen anytime any place.. wide open through the sand dunes or trail riding through the trees. It is of course a matter of preference.. I prefer to not hit my head on the ground, by adding a better performing cage. ;)

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
It's not just about hitting your head on the ground. That is one case, yes.
Also, yes, the aftermarket cage is no wider than the machine - but if one side of the machine is in a deep rut, the cage will be sticking out sideways further than the machine.
The cage certainly can handle a brush with a tree. Minus some of its paint if anyone cares about that, but also it damages the roof, if one is installed.

The bottom line is of course that there are a lot of different riders with different terrain and riding styles.
It is not possible to make a machine and have it fit everyone's needs without modification.
And that is why I say, as I have said before, if people want to put on an aftermarket cage that's fine, go for it - but I am glad Polaris made it the way it is now.
And when people say Polaris should not have made it that way, I disagree heartily.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
If landing on the side was a regular occurrence, or even an occasional one, and squeezing between trees while half of the machine is in a deep jeep rut is a rare occurrence, I could see why a wider cage would be desirable.
But if the ruts and trees thing happens nearly every single ride, and landing on the side is a rare occurrence, usually only happening at very slow speed, well then the priority would be different.

I encounter the ruts and trees thing nearly every ride in my native riding areas. Not so much when I go to Utah.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I agree with Scoundrel that the Polaris cage is great for riding in trees with uneven terrain. I rode last week on tight woodland trails on very uneven ground. I had a friend that has a RZR 900 XC that is 55" wide. With my tires and spacers my Ace is 58" wide. My friend tore up his poly top banging it against trees. I had no problem at all clearing the trees with the shape of the Ace top. The squared off top on the RZR would tilt several inches outside of the wheels on uneven terrain. It all depends on where you are riding and how you are riding.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sand Chick, that is EXACTLY why I had my own cage built. I sat in the Ace and it was comfortable but my shoulders are pretty wide and when (not if) it goes on its side, I knew my shoulder was going to hit the ground. I'm hoping the new cage will prevent that as well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts