Polaris ACE Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up everyone, I too was planning an aftermarket seat/5-point harness & just attach the harness around the bar behind the seat. Can't recall the site, but the words "proper harness mounting" caught my eye. The guy who rolled his ACE had mounted his harness on both his ACE & RZR to the rear bar which is fine for very slow speed roll overs. He had a high speed roll over & severely busted up both collarbones & dis-located his neck but was not paralyzed. After reading so many of the scary crash stories, installing a harness is more than simply installing to whichever bar is closest/strongest. The bar on the ACE is far too high & will most likely buckle the seat top & possibly cause a broken neck. Something to think about for sure...I've now decided on a harness mount bar for my ACE. Diagram is to prevent other injuries due to improper harness mounting. Diagram applies to ALL 4/5/6-point racing harness regardless of type of machine mounted in.

Proper 5-Point Racing Harness Mounting Points.jpg

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Few vendors now offer a harness mount for the ACE. Dragonfire Racing offers the nicest looking harness mount bar for the ACE to properly mount a harness at the correct height. In includes the welded tabs to lock & keep harness from sliding around, & it actually looks very nice. Fits all ACE 325/570 (STOCK CAGE ONLY). WILL NOT FIT ACE 900! Not sure if it will aftermarket cages with modification? Available here:Sportsman ACE LockDown Harness Bar | DragonFire Racing

sportsman-ace-lockdown-harness-bar_2.jpg

·
Registered
552 Posts
I've been thinking a lot about this post. I've even started pondering how I would fabricate a new bar I almost think you could tie it in to the same bar that holds the nets. Anyway while sitting in the ACE today, I'm not not sure it's necessary for me. I'm 5' 9.5"

Here is a pic of me with the Stock seat and the 50 caliber harness. It looks to be at zero degrees.
IMG_0488.JPG

Here is a pic of me with the polaris (non stock) seat and the same harness (different color).
IMG_0489.JPG

This seat really contours the angle itself, seems about 15 degrees or more.

·
Registered
347 Posts
It really comes down to how tall you are, tall people are ok with the factory roll bar mount but if your short the DFR cross bar is a good idea. However the DFR bar looks lower than 10 deg. Also the seat makes a big diff weather its stock or a highback racing seat, if you are tall you need a high back seat so your collar bones /shoulders dont get crushed (second pic above). The first pic shows a pretty ideal angle for his height and seat type.

I going to grab a DRF highback seat some time this winter, when your on some off kilter trails its pretty easy to slide around with the factory seat.... a real seat with some bolstering would be sweet

·
Registered
552 Posts
Few vendors now offer a harness mount for the ACE. Dragonfire Racing offers the nicest looking harness mount bar for the ACE to properly mount a harness at the correct height. In includes the welded tabs to lock & keep harness from sliding around, & it actually looks very nice. Fits all ACE 325/570 (STOCK CAGE ONLY). WILL NOT FIT ACE 900! Not sure if it will aftermarket cages with modification? Available here:Sportsman ACE LockDown Harness Bar | DragonFire Racing

View attachment 4732
I'm not sure about this seat. It seems really low, I'm not sure how they got it that low. Did they remove the seat rails? Is there not any padding on the bottom? Also I'm curious about the leg room, is it slanted forward more at the bottom? Anyway, not trying to slam this seat or anything but now that I've tried a few different seats, I'd want to sit in this seat before I bought it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is anyone here using one of these lockdown bars, and if so, what are your thoughts on it? Also, if anyone has this installed, a picture from another angle would be greatly appreciated.... Just curios about clearance between the bar and seat (how far in the bar protrudes). Also, if anyone knows of other available options, please post. I'm needing this for my son, so a lockdown bar is a must. The cage cross bar won't do.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Dragonfire is the only company I know of making that bolt on cross bar. They only fit the 330/570 and do not work in the 900 due to the many different things they had to change to accommodate the 900 engine.

Just a couple comments while thinking aloud.

With the exception of actual racing I wonder if the OEM shoulder/lap belt is the safest method for smaller than average riders, whether they be tweens, teens or young adults. As mentioned the problem with slight size and racing type shoulder harness can be a dangerous mix if the belts don't have a down angle off the shoulders and cant be held into place, allowing the driver's head to potentially get under the shoulder belt or slide off the shoulders and tossing the driver side to side during a roll over.

I haven't seen anywhere or anyone who has fab'd up some form of custom seat riser to boost the seat. Even a few inches boost could be a world of difference.

Desert Craft Suspension Seat brackets do lift the OEM seat a tad over an inch by themselves and are a great addition to the ACE anyway as it helps to limit the jarring effect of g-force bumps that shoot right up your spine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you very much for your input. That is a very valid point that you bring up, as to which would actually be safer for the smaller folks. I had given that some thought as well, and also been looking into the DCSS, as you mentioned. I already have a replacement seat coming (found a good deal on the same gray Polaris Rzr seat that some of the other members have used). I've read that this seat raises the position up and forward some. So I'd like to see how everything fits him, once I get the new seat installed. I also wanted to see where the harness holes in the seat back hit him, before even getting a harness. Like you stated above, if it's not going to fit properly, it would likely be more of a potential hazard. Just kinda wanted to get my ducks in a row, in case a harness is ideal, and I definitely want to do it properly. Thanks again for your input, I do appreciate it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 900 xc I made a custom harness lockdown bar to provide proper geometry for my 4 point Beard harness and my dragonfly XL suspension seat.
I think it will work with the older models also. Bar is just over 32 long with 1/8 inch tabs welded to each end the bent to bolt on to factory joint/bolt.
Bar is wedged upward into narrowing part of upright; which secures it from moving. Very secure setup Welded extra tabs to bar for lights or tiedowns not sure yet.
Sorry, This is best pic I could get to load.

·
Registered
108 Posts
All,

Understand the shoulder harness locations, but can somebody post where and how they set up the lap belt attachments and the submarine belt attachment?

Thanks,

V22Driver

1 - 11 of 11 Posts