Polaris ACE Forum banner

Purchased my ACE today.

10K views 39 replies 9 participants last post by  4Nines 
#1 · (Edited)
I called my dealer on Friday and asked if they had an ACE.
They did, so I went to have a look - but it was almost closing time, and it was raining outside, so I could not ride it.
The boss-man said I could ride it when it was not raining though.

I went back today, and at first the boss-man was not around, and a different boss-man told me that he doesn't want people to test ride it, because it gets dirty and then people want $2000 off the sticker price.
I changed his mind by showing him a wad of Franklins and telling him if I didn't buy it, I would wash it for him, but that if I felt that it had enough power for me, I WOULD buy it TODAY.
So he moved it outside while I went and got my helmet.

I drove it around on mostly dry pavement, so I can't really say anything about its handling characteristics, but I did something that I guess not many people do on test rides:
I loaded it onto my trailer, and then unloaded it, disconnected the trailer, and loaded it into the back of my truck. With the dealer's permission, of course.

My trailer has a 60" wide deck on it, and the ACE's wheel base is 61.5". So it sits up on the rails a little, which are diagonally out about 8 inches from the deck.
With the ACE loaded, there's a bit more pressure on the rails than I like, but I can see about reinforcing them. Once I do that it should be fine.
My truck is a 2013 GMC Sierra 2500 long bed. The ACE fit in there with the tailgate closed, with room to spare front to back and side to side.

Anyway, so then we got down to business.

The first thing I did was beat him up a little about a recent phone call I had made to the dealership. Here's what happened there:
I called and said I wanted to buy some 26x9x12 Maxxis BigHorns to replace the ones that came stock on my 2010 RZR S.
They looked it up and told me that I was wrong about the size, that the correct size was 27x9x12, and that the price was $259 per tire.
I told him I was sure that the correct size was 26", and he insisted that the computer was telling him it was 27".
I politely bade him good day, and terminated the call.

So we looked it up together. His parts fiche showed an original part number, superceded by a new one.
The original number called for a 26x9x12, and the superceded number called for a 27x9x12.
Obviously Polaris had made a mistake, and it wasn't that guy's fault, but I felt he could have handled it better.
I didn't beat him up too badly, and he didn't exactly apologize. We just came to the conclusion about what had happened together.
I think the conversation set the stage for the rest of the transaction.
He knew I wasn't to be trifled with, and I knew that he was willing to explore things and get to the bottom line.

The next thing I did was build an accessory list, so that he knew the whole deal when we negotiated.
$129.99 - Canvas Roof
$179.99 - Rear Poly Windshield
$99.99 - Sport Windshield
$399.99 - 2500lb Winch
$59.99 - Rear View Mirror
$69.99 - Trail Bag
$939.94 Total

A few words about these items:
Canvas Roof:
I have the Polaris canvas roof on my RZR. It is tough as nails. It stood up to all kinds of abuse - rubbing against tree bark, getting poked and scraped by branches, getting flapped around in the wind, etc.
What finally did some real damage is when I rolled my RZR. And the damage is just a few tattered spots on the 4 corners where it wraps around the roll cage. It is cosmetic damage only, and it is still waterproof after 2 years.

Rear Poly Windshield:
I have the rear flexible plastic one on the RZR, and it's difficult to clean because it flexes. Also, I have poked sticks through it in two places.
I have been impressed with how scratch resistant Polaris's poly front windshield is, and I expect this one to be equivalent.

Sport Windshield:
I did not go with the full poly front windshield because it cannot be opened.
I really appreciate being able to adjust the wind flow in my RZR. It makes a huge difference in how warm/cool I want to be without stopping to change my clothing.
But they do not have this option yet for the ACE, so I bought the cheap small windshield as a windbreak for now.
I will investigate whether I could make the adjustable one fit on the ACE, if I cut it down a little.

2500 LB Winch:
I didn't want to pay the extra $129 for the 3500 LB winch, and I feel that the 2500 will do for my usage.
I can't mount a Warn or Viper on there without buying a mounting bracket. Polaris does not sell just the bracket right now.
An aftermarket bracket I found for $75 is ugly and sticks down too far.
The Polaris bracket looks tough enough and looks more streamlined to fit the lines of the vehicle.
The dealer let me use his computer to look this up, and I decided that my best bet was to buy the Polaris one.

Rear View Mirror and Trail Bag:
I know that these items are overpriced and that I could do better, price wise, to rig something up for this.
But convenience costs money, and I felt it was worth $130 to have these items which are a perfect fit without spending hours trying to rig something up.
The rear storage box is a different story. They want $250 for the lock-n-ride box, and I'd rather pay $35 for a Rubbermaid ActionPacker and bolt it down back there.

Then he drew up the rest of the line items:
$100 - Documentation Fee
$60 - License Fee
$375 - Destination Fee (Freight Charge)
$275 - Machine Setup (Uncrating, bolting crap on there)
$7499 - 2013 Sportsman ACE
$8309 Total

I told him I didn't want to pay the freight, setup, and doc fees.
He was insistent on the setup and doc fees, but he gave up the freight.
I told him that if he wanted to seal this deal, he had to give a little more. I asked for 10% off the accessories, and also asked him to dismount the tires from the RZR wheels I brought along, and mount up the new tires I brought along.
He agreed to these things. That saved me $94 on the accessories, and $36 in tire mounting labor.
The one I bought also had a Poly Roof on it ($199) that they did not charge me extra for.
So effectively, I got a $669 break on the overall price.

The total before sales tax was $8780.19.
The sales tax was $751.83.
The out the door price was $9532.02.

I paid $2340 cash down payment, and financed the rest at 3.99% for 36 months.
I intend to pay it off in 6 months, but I decided against the 6-month 0% interest option, just in case.

Now, I know some people will tell me I paid too much, I didn't beat them down enough, or whatever.
But the bottom line is, it's a brand new model, they have not been hanging onto it for months, it's not last year's model, and it's a small town dealer that has to work hard to make ends meet.
I felt that it was worth a little give on my part to keep the relationship intact, because the next closest dealer is a big throng of slimeballs and idiots.
So I feel that this was a reasonably good deal, for me.

See less See more
#3 ·
I feel that it is a little sluggish on the low end, but gains power as it gains speed.
It will probably bog down in high gear on the long hill climbs.
But the low range is a tractor gear. It would probably climb Mt Everest in low gear.
You're not going to win any drag races with it, and you're not going to climb any sand dunes with it.
I weigh about 215 lbs right now. Maybe if I lost 25 or so, it would have more get up and go.
But it's adequate if you're looking for a relaxing cruise, not a speed demon.

#8 ·
Good news, Bad news. So the dealer sends me a note and says our Ace is finally here (I ordered it two days after it was announced). However, the full price they are giving me is $9,809.04!!! WTF! Now I understand that I may have to pay full MSRP for this new hot machine...I expected that...but to get gouged for an extra $1,006.84...really!

MSRP:
ACE: $7,499.00
Front Brush Guard: $229.99
Rear Brush Guard: $149.99
Windshield: $99.99
Roof: $199.99
Sales Tax: $623.24
Total should be $8,802.20
They want to charge me: $9,809.04

What am I missing here? I know...dealer prep fees, transportation fees, parts install, etc, etc, etc...

How much is everyone else being quoted/paying? Any discounts being offered on parts.

#13 ·
Better news today! The dealer worked with us on the price and we got to within $10 of what Scoundrel got...thanks!

Got it home late last night and my son went for the first ride at 6:30 this morning. I gave it a quick run down the drive and back up...feels solid and strong. Didn't get it over 35 yet...need to get some miles on it.

I think I'm getting ATV Fever...better take a sick day!

#20 ·
25x8x12 Bighorn on ITP SS312 Alloy Series Matte Black

I went with 8" to counter the extra width of the 4+3 offset wheels.
On my RZR S, when I went from 26x12x12 down to 26x9x12 in the rear, it made a huge difference in two areas:
1. I could fit the whole RZR into my truck bed (but not close the tailgate). With the 26x12x12s, I could not get the rear wheels into the bed.
2. It threw a LOT less mud up onto my left shoulder and leg.

The rear sidewalls are the widest part of the ACE, and they stick out past the fenders.
I'm hoping that 24x8x12 in the rear will stay mostly under the fender.

I tried to find wheels with 5+2 offset to match the stockers, but the only set RMATV had was way expensive.
Some other sites had text that talked about that size so they got hits on Google, but when I went there and started actually shopping, the only sizes they had in stock were 4+3.

#22 ·
I really, really wanted to go with the MSA M23 Battle Wheel, but I did not, for these reasons:
1. I have never heard of MSA before. ITP is well known in the wheel/tire business and I have used their wheels before with great results.
2. I was concerned about getting rather large sticks caught in the spokes. The way I ride sometimes, it would happen, and it would be ugly.

#31 ·
OK, the new wheels and tires are on.
The result is not as good as I had hope, but better than I feared.

My new width is 50.5" in the rear, and 50" exactly in front, with barely any sidewall bulge.
It looks like I might have been able to manage a 5+2 in the front, but it might have rubbed on the strut when the tires flex during cornering.

One of these days, I might try to find a pair of these wheels in 5+2, swap two tires out, and try them on both front and rear to see how that worked out before buying another pair.
I guess it depends on how much trouble I have on 50" trails, and gates/bridges that are 50" wide.

View attachment 327 View attachment 328 View attachment 329 View attachment 330

#33 ·
It's more about the wheels than the tires. Specifically, the offset.

The offset on the stock wheels was 5+2 in the back and 4.5+2.5 in the front.
The new ones are 4+3, which puts the wheel further out.
MOST of the aftermarket wheels out there are 4+3 because that size fits most quads, so it is really popular.

So you have to find wheels that have the same offset, or close enough that they don't rub or interfere with anything, and don't make the stance wider.
It also helps to get narrower tires when you can so they don't have sidewall bulge. See my photos earlier in this thread for more on that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.