Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got 2 sets of Ricochet's CV Boot Guards in last night via UPS. Got them installed on our Aces this morning. One set went on fine, the other...well, let's just say we had to go find longer bolts to install the rear set because the holes weren't drilled in the same place as the other set and we couldn't make the clamp with the threaded nut welded on align with the slotted hole in the boot guard! They also leave very little clearance on the rear guards between the guard and the wheel rim. They are made out of good, thick, aluminum but we felt Ricochet could have made them a little taller, both front and rear in order to give more protection to the boots. Better than the stock protectors, but not what we expected for what we paid for them. We like Thunderhawk CV Boot Protectors much better...guess we should have waited for them to come out with some. Just our .02 worth!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I am looking for a full skid plate set. I am undecided as to what I want though Aluminum or plastic. Wonder what the weight difference is between Ricochet and Factory Utv skids. I had Ricochet's on my past Can-am Outlander they fit well but they were really heavy and also came close to rim on the rear.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dakace79,
I would think the weight difference would be considerable between the alum and the plastic skids. These 2 sets of just the CV Boot Guards weighed 23 lbs...shipping weight. I realize that included the box and packing paper, but...still quite heavy. They are 3/16" thick alum. I'm just assuming the skid plate would be made of the same thickness alum. So...just comparing the surface area of the skid plate against the surface area of the cv boot guards, I doubt there would be a whole lot of difference weight wise.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
So, I have read that for skid plates, aluminum has some downsides....weight, and friction.

I was hoping to get some of your valued opinions on just the a-arm guards.

I was chiefly looking at the Richochet which seem like a bargain at $160 to $180 delivered.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts