Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
First this is my first post on this forum.
I just pick up my first ATV and it was a ACE.
I am 55( how did I survive all these years)
I just want to thank everyone on this forum that help me make my decision on my purchase.

My question is I just put on a factory roof and windshield.
Now Polaris says in the instruction to remove when trailering.
Is this a liability statement or does this need to be done?

Like me Thanks everyone now on their comments!!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hi,
I just want to thank everyone on this forum that help me make my decision on my purchase.

I have the EMP windshield and it did cave in when going down the freeway on a trailer. Might have caused damage had it continued for a longer period of time. Not sure about the polaris one.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Yes. there have been incidents of the Polaris L&R roof ripping off at highway speeds. So what I did with my ACE was take a short tie down strap and go around the roof and cage. It had several thousand miles on the trailer that way and never lost the roof. My Polaris L&R ½ windshield was left in place and worked fine.

IMO, the most important shield for dust control in the cockpit is the rear panel. I had a Polaris rear panel and it kept me ½ way clean on dusty rides.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Like The Texan, I used to use a tie down strap to secure my roof to the cage. It almost blew off soon after I purchased the Ace. About two months ago I put zip ties in a crisscross pattern through a small opening in the top of the lock and ride connectors and around the bottom of the lock and ride snaps. I have a photo below. Since I installed the zip ties I have about 1,000 miles on the interstate with the cruise on my diesel truck set at 75 and have had no problem with the setup.

View attachment 3884

I have both the front and rear EMP windshield. I always remove them. At the same time I almost lost the roof, I almost lost the rear EMP windshield. A friend driving behind me saw them both flapping in the wind and called me. Thanks, One-Shot.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Hi,

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
394 Posts
I hit 70 and 75 mph witht the ACE in my truck bed, with the roof on and never lost it yet. Might try the zip tie thing.
I lost it in heavy brush and limbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
I lost the seat on my 850XP on it's first trailer ride. Pissed me off, the stupid friction fit stuff. Polaris had a much better system on the older ATVs with the physical latch. I use a rubber strap across it now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the EMP roof and windshield I just took it up to NH this past weekend (from CT highway driving, going about 70) had no problems what so ever. Now that said. It wouldn't hurt to take them off just in case. But I never had any issues with my...my brother also has a RZR 570 with a Polaris roof and windshield he didn't have any issues with leaving it on either.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was thinking in those lines. My though was a hose clamp.
Or would a sheet metal screw hold the clamp in place.
My concern was more on the roof. Going down the road would air get under it?
I was thinking of fender washers were you bolt the roof to the clamps.
Never though of using a strap( ratchet to keep the roof in place).
I guess if a rig could go 45 or more mph down a road should trailing it at 66/60 be a problem?
with the suggestion of taken it off to be safe. I plan on taking it ice fishing and I am not sure about snapping the roof and windshield on and off in the cold.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
The people who have reported losing the Polaris roof said the bolts ripped through the plastic. So fender washers would likely do the trick.
Someone who had an EMP windshield said that it caved inward due to the flexible clamps.

It's not about towing your machine at 65 MPH. It's about traveling at 65 MPH and encountering an additional 30 MPH wind gust, either front-on, or at an angle which catches the roof like a sail and puts a lot of shearing force on it.

I like the canvas tops myself, though they need to be topped off with Scotch-Gard once in a while.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I tow mine backwards and havent had trouble going as fast as 80mph. That said, the first trip I took with it one of the corners of the roof came loose. I closed it back up and it was fine. I've heard of the zip tie method too, but I like to easily remove my roof when I want.

The one thing I do is make sure I secure the clamps with some toothless channel lock pliers. That way I know it's locked good. Still, one of these days I may end up roofless. ;) Probably a good idea to tie it down or just remove it (and the windscreen) when trailering, to be safe. I'm just a rebel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts