Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a ace 330 I'll be using it mainly for ice fishing, will I have trouble with windshield frosting up.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Some of the guys have been riding in very cold temps, hopefully one of them will come along and answer this for you.
My guess is that with temps that cold, you won't have a fogging problem, but I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Welcome to the asylum Rod. I don't have a windshield, but others I ride with who do, have more trouble with blowing snow sticking to the windshield. Some have installed a manual wiper.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I rode mine a few times in rather cold conditions and only had my face shield fog up because of my breath. Never the windshield as there really isn't a heat source close to the windshield to cause the fog.

·
Registered
85 Posts
^True^ I didn't think about that one but at the same time everything was frozen so there wasn't any mud

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have ridden in about 10 degree F up to 30. Through snow on frozen lakes and drifts in the open. No fogging on EMP windshield (also have EMP rear, but doubt that changes anything.) Unless there is sleet, I don't think you have to worry.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have ridden in about 10 degree F up to 30. Through snow on frozen lakes and drifts in the open. No fogging on EMP windshield (also have EMP rear, but doubt that changes anything.) Unless there is sleet, I don't think you have to worry.
Thanks for info I have a total enclosure and was concerned on the frosting up. I fish Saginaw Bay and many times we run out 10 miles.

·
Registered
447 Posts
First, I want to say that I have never been ice fishing. I live in the heat of East Texas. However, we do get cold weather here. This winter when it got below 35 my Ace would barely start. It turned out to be a spark plug. The only symptom that I had was hard to start in cold weather. I now carry a spare spark plug at all times. Not only carry a spare, but learn how to change the plug. At least to me, it was not obvious. I would not be 10 miles out on the ice without a spare spark plug.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First, I want to say that I have never been ice fishing. I live in the heat of East Texas. However, we do get cold weather here. This winter when it got below 35 my Ace would barely start. It turned out to be a spark plug. The only symptom that I had was hard to start in cold weather. I now carry a spare spark plug at all times. Not only carry a spare, but learn how to change the plug. At least to me, it was not obvious. I would not be 10 miles out on the ice without a spare spark plug.
This don't sound good many times it's below zero here

·
Registered
447 Posts
Rod,

Once I changed the spark plug, it would start right up in cold weather. The coldest day that I started it up with the new plug the temperature was about 17 here. I could not see any fouling at all on the plug and really don't know what was the root cause of the problem. It started great and ran great as long as the temperature was above 35-40. The only symptom that I had was hard starting in cold weather. With a spare plug, you should be fine.

The closest that I have been to ice fishing was in a Gander Mountain sporting good store in Tyler. I bought a gun safe there. I was talking to the assistant manager and the corporate offices thought everyone went ice fishing and sent the store 500 ice fishing kits. He had to explain to them that there was no ice in East Texas and returned the ice fishing kits. One size does not fit all.

·
Registered
218 Posts
@ rod

the wifes 325 ace did plow duty at the camp this past winter and it started just fine everytime , even when it sat in below zero weather for weeks at a time without being started .
the battery is the one it came with and never struggled once either , didn't even keep it on a tender .

you'll be fine ......................

1 - 14 of 14 Posts