Polaris ACE Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Starting this thread to help others troubleshoot by showing what has broken on my two ACE 900 SP machines. These are both driven by my teenage girls so they are not competitively raced but not exactly paraded around either. At opening of this thread 8/16/18, both machines have about 1300 miles on them.

Note: Purchase both Aces new from Abernathy in August of 2016 with 4 year extended warranty by Torgue Group. Overall pleased with what has been covered at no cost. Servicing dealer mentioned the warranty people are very easy to work with.

Oct. 2017:
#1 ACE:
Problem: Intermittent power steering not working, check engine light on.
Fix: Dealer replaced voltage regulator under Xwarranty.

Spring 2017:
#2 Ace:
Problem: Battery keeps draining down.
Fix: Dealer replaced battery ($170) just to be able to test anything with a known good battery (warranty did not cover). Replaced voltage regulator under Xwarranty.
Both Aces:
Problem: Slack in some of the steering ball joints.
Fix: Dealer changed (1) of the ball joints on one machine, (warranty did not cover). I would have changed myself had I known the warranty would not cover this.

July 2018:
#1 ACE:
Problem: Fuel pump completely quit working.
Fix: Dealer replaced fuel pump assembly under Xwarranty.
#2 ACE:
Problem: Cranks but no start. Changed spark plugs, still no start.
Fix: Dealer replaced crank position sensor under Xwarranty.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
September 2018:
Changed the left steering tie rod end on one Ace #2 and the right tie-rod end on Ace #1. Both had in my book unacceptable slack in the joint that could be felt through the steering. I did not like that at all. Plus they became a weak link in the steering that I'd rather not experience breaking on the trail. Good news is that since the last dealer visit in August, both have been running very well. School has started so the riding has slacked off quite a bit from the daily summer break riding around the house.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
September 2018 (cont'd.), 1500 miles:
Replaced all lower front a-arm bushings on both machines with All Balls Racing brand. Stockers were just shot causing the remainder of the steering slack feeling after tie-rod ends were changed. Now the front end feels new on both machines.

The a-arm bushing setup is goofy for those that will have to change bushings at some time. Instead of the long bolt like RZR 800 that went all the way through a-arm mount, the ACE has an internal rod with a bolt on each end through the mounts. Well, both of the bolts are standard right hand thread! I had to break both bolts loose one at a time, then only remove 1 bolt while the second bolt was tight enough to remove the first bolt. Then I had to wedge a screwdriver between the mount and bushing to hold the new unbolted side tight enough to remove the second bolt. Tightening the bolts was not a problem.

You will have to disconnect the swat bar from a-arms at both ends so that you can swing the a-arm out of the mounts. An easy process except for removing the bolts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nov. 24, 2018
Just an FYI...
During trail ride one ACE lost the throttle response. It started and idled fine but nothing from the throttle and the power steering was killed. Disconnected battery on the trail to reset the computer and fixed the throttle immediately. Few minutes later power steering was working. No more problems the rest of the day.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dec. 7, 2018
Picked up my #2 ACE after a replacement fuel pump assembly. Both machines are on their second fuel pump. Polaris has a new part number so something was changed about the fuel pumps. Hope that is the end of fuel pump problems for a while!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
March 2019
Ace #1 steering rack and pinion is shot at 1600 miles. Turning produces a grinding and binding sound. Back to the shop!

Fixed under warranty, no problem.

Something to watch out for:
3/31/19 afternoon ride we did run into a problem where the front diff. vent tube fell out of place and got wrapped into radiator fan, causing the fan circuit to overload and put the ACE in limp mode. Removed and replaced fuse/circuit breaker after removing the hose from fan, then restart and everything went back to normal. Zip tied the hose in place to prevent happening again.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
August 2019
Ace #1, 1921 miles, rear U-joint worn out.
Daughter noticed a "tinging" sound while riding. Once home I checked it out and found the rear u-joint worn slap out.

Dealer replaced prop shaft under extended warranty.

I'm sure the second Ace will be right behind this one for the same problem. One more year of warranty to go!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Oct. 2017:
#1 ACE:
Problem: Intermittent power steering not working, check engine light on.
Fix: Dealer replaced voltage regulator under Xwarranty.

I am now facing this problem.
While riding, the blue backlight goes out,.. then the power steering light comes on and the engine light.
Still runs great,.. but power steering is out.
Shut the machine off for a minute,... turn it back on and no problems.

Would this be caused by a faulty Voltage Regulator?
And therefore buying the aftermarket one with the longer cables is what I should do??

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
While running watch the battery voltage display. Mine was running at about 18V when this happened. If the voltage dropped below 14V then everything would work as normal. When we made it to truck and loaded up, I could smell the battery acid boiling!!

Voltage regulators affect so many things! My other ACE 900 had totally different symptoms and the voltage regulator was the cause of that problem too. Mine were replaced under warranty so the dealer installed the latest updated Polaris part. So far so good with 2000 and 1800 miles on the two machines.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Funny thing about these machines, they have been very buggy for being built with repurposed parts from different other machines.

Yet, they are absolutely perfect for my daughters! They ride by themselves but with a cage. They love their ACES! And they get more looks when we ride then the big fancy RZR's!! I catch many passenger wives pointing out the ACES to their husbands as we pass! Kinda funny but most people have never seen an ACE.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I assume that the battery voltage display can be found by pushing the toggle button.
I haven't changed it in a while. I just keep it on temperature.

But if that's what you are talking about, then I can easily check that tonight.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
January 2020
#2 Ace
-Steering rack is shock. Lot of slack inside the boots. I can move tie rods by hand.
-Drive shaft rear u-joint is shot.
Both should be covered under extended warranty when I have time to haul to dealership.

#1 Ace
-Front bushings are shot again. All balls didn't last. Changing to a delrin material next time around.
-Replaced left side tie rod end in Dec. 2019.

If my daughters wouldn't love these machines so much I'd probably have sold both by now! Unfortunately there is nothing else similar on the market. Guess I'll just keep them running now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
March 2020
#2 Ace
-Steering rack is shock. Lot of slack inside the boots. I can move tie rods by hand.
-Drive shaft rear u-joint is shot.
All issues covered under extended warranty.
New steering rack and tie-rods, new front wheel bearings, replaced both prop shaft u-joints.
Only thing warranty didn't cover was a $7 roll pin! Goofy!!
Torque group warranty has been great!!! Worth every penny and more on these two machines.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i wish my dealer would have offered extended warranty! I haven’t had too many issues yet but just noticed a arm bushings are shot. Power Steering has failed to engage upon starting a few times but I’ve just turned it off and back on and all good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts