Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Santa brought Ace Accessories. Mrs. Claus, er, Mrs. Hayseed, brought them a few weeks ago because she knew that it would take me a long time to install them. I finished up today.

Santa brought a KFI Winch Mount, a SuperWinch Terra 35 with synthetic line, front LED lighting and backup LED lighting, and a Wolo Ooga horn. I want to thank cumminsdieselgt, Scoundrel, MarkPikens and all the others that have posted information that allowed a novice like me to install all these accessories.

I did learn a few things that I think are worth posting. MarkPickens posted about the bracket that is required to attach the brush guard. His post saved me a lot of time and aggravation.
(http://www.aceforums.net/forum/9-ace-talk/579-winch-mount-brush-guard.html#post5107)
The lower mounting bracket for the brush guard attaches to the frame. When you install a KFI winch mount you have to remove this lower mounting bracket and the KFI winch mounts attaches to the frame using the four holes that the lower mounting bracket used. The brush guard comes with a plate that attaches the brush guard to the KFI winch mount. I had my dealer install the front brush guard. One-Shot also had his dealer install his brush guard. Both dealers kept the winch mounting bracket that came with the brush guard. If you buy an Ace and have the dealer install the brush guard, be sure to get the winch mounting plate from the dealer. Greybeard sold his Ace but kept the winch mounting plate. Because of MarkPikens post, I contacted Greybeard and he mailed me the mounting plate. This saved so much aggravation.

Below is a photo of my front lights.

View attachment 2542

I installed two 48 watt lights from Tuff LED Lights. I installed one spot light and one wide angle light. I test drove the Ace a few nights ago and it seemed to work out great. The are both much brighter than the factory lights.

I also installed a backup light. It is a 28 watt light and does a great job when backing at night.

View attachment 2543

This is a photo of my switches.

View attachment 2544

I was concerned that some old man, namely me, would accidentally activate the winch when trying to turn on something else. So, I added a winch power switch and the winch remote to the left side of the dash. The winch in/out switch will not operate unless the winch power switch is turned on.

View attachment 2545

Finally, when I took off the black plastic cover that surrounds the speedometer, I discovered that there was a lot of red clay mud under the cover. It looked like it had been forced under the front of the cover when I washed the Ace. I put some weather stripping under the front edge of the cover. Only time will tell if this solves the problem.

View attachment 2546

Merry Christmas, everyone.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nice accessories! I want to do similar front lights using the same attach point, but not electricaully smart. Can you share how you wired up, needing what materials and where the wires were ran. Thanks

·
Registered
173 Posts
That's awesome! Ace goodies are the best presents! I got the side bags and a new fire extinguisher for my Christmas presents! Kind of a side joke because my Ace started on fire due to dry fall leaves this fall, I guess the hubby wants to keep me around for awhile lol!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice accessories! I want to do similar front lights using the same attach point, but not electricaully smart. Can you share how you wired up, needing what materials and where the wires were ran. Thanks
Stoutcat68,

I am not an expert on lighting but I will give you an overview of what I did. I read all that I could on this and other forums before I started. I also ride with someone who is a district manager for a national auto parts chain and I got his advice.

View attachment 2564

The area circled in blue is the top of the light. I was able to run the wiring into the Ace underneath where the front brush guard goes through the plastic. I have marked this with a red arrow.

I had quite a bit of wiring to do because of the number of accessories that I was installing. I removed the front half of the roll cage and removed the front plastic. Then I made wiring harnesses for the switches. I attached the wiring harnesses to a waterproof connector. When you remove the plastic, you will need to be able to disconnect the wiring from the switches. Below is a photo of the underside of the front cab plastic with the switches and the connectors.

View attachment 2565

The switches connect to the keyed power terminal that is underneath the bottom of the front storage compartment. The output from the switch connects to a relay. The switch activates the relay and the relay delivers battery power to the lights.

I mounted the relays underneath the front plastic to the air deflector that is immediately behind the removable bottom in the front storage compartment. I bought relays from Amazon that came with a wiring harness.

View attachment 2566

With the number of accessories that I added, there is a lot of wires. To help manage this problem, I installed a grounding bus. I ran an 8 awg wire from the ground post on the front battery terminal block. That is the green wire in the photo below. The ground wires from the relay wiring harness were red. The black wires are ground from the switches and lights.

View attachment 2567

The relay wiring harness came with one color scheme. The connectors came with another color scheme. I had yet another set of colored wires. The winch wiring harness came with yet another color scheme. I drew up a wiring schematic that showed all the colors. I could not have completed the project without the wiring diagram. I also soldered and shrink wrapped all the connections.

I looked for a fuse block to simplify the wiring. I never found one that was acceptable to me that would fit underneath the front storage compartment. I ran all the wires to this location and the connected everything there. I have individual fuse holders that are accessible from the bottom of the front storage compartment. The two 48 watt lights draw a combines 8 amps. I used a 15 amp fuse for the lights. All the switches draw about an amp. I used 5 amp fuses for the switches.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's awesome! Ace goodies are the best presents! I got the side bags and a new fire extinguisher for my Christmas presents! Kind of a side joke because my Ace started on fire due to dry fall leaves this fall, I guess the hubby wants to keep me around for awhile lol!
Atv Bandit,

Tell me about the side bags. I am always looking for more storage. I have the top bag by Polaris that mounts between the roll bars but did not know about the side bags.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Tell me about the side bags. I am always looking for more storage. I have the top bag by Polaris that mounts between the roll bars but did not know about the side bags.[/QUOTE]

I have all of the storage bags now, the overhead bag, behind the seat bag, and now the two side bags. The side bags have Velcro straps that attach to the u shaped bars on the sides of of the Ace. They are formed exactly to match the shape of the bars. They have two zippered pockets, one is a mesh flat pocket and the other is the bigger main pocket. They have a thick liner on the bottom to hold shape and make the main pocket wider. If you buy a cab system or doors they say you cannot use these side bags. I do not plan on buying the cab system or doors because I prefer more storage areas. These bags will work nicely for small things like first aid kits or small items that you may want to access while riding. I get stung a lot on the legs while riding so I will be keeping my first aid kit a little closer to me than the rear storage box hahaha. I attached a picture of the side bag so you can see how it looks. View attachment 2571

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought ATV Logic zippered bags that attach with velcro straps in these same places. The don't exactly fit the shape of the side bars, but do a very nice job! I got 2 large bags and 2 smaller bags for less than $40...much better than Polaris' price for their bags. Now I have money left over for more accessories!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Tell me about the side bags. I am always looking for more storage. I have the top bag by Polaris that mounts between the roll bars but did not know about the side bags.

I like those side bags! I have the trunk bag from an 800, but really would have liked to have my phone more accessible! So many accessories is making my next purchase a hard decision!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Dredging up this topic... the Side bags, anyone have links to other bags, aside from the Polaris ones? I love the idea. Hate the price. I had my phone and sunglasses in the front trunk. they got beat up. These kind of bags would be perfect for those small items. Tazanator suggested ATV Logic, but i couldn't find anything that looked like it would work. Links?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts