Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone purchased a snorkel for their Ace from Snorkelyouratv.com? Are there other options? Or is it worth just making one myself.
Thanks!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Heres my setup, i did it myself but was a quite a chore to align everything up. Personally i would have spent the money on a prefabed setup but it was unavailable at the time. If you are mechanically inclined then it would be cheaper to do it urself!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information and the picture as well. Time to me is something I don't have a lot of. I will most likely go with the option from snorkelyouratv.com for 189.00 isn't to bad. Once I order it and install it I will post some pics.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Remember that if you ride in other states, you may get a ticket for having a snorkeled machine. Maine is one I know for sure and I have heard that there are others that prohibit adding snorkels to an ATV/UTV.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I can't get my head wraped around this, so help me out. Why are some states making it illegal to run snorkles? More big brotherism or is there really a good reason?

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Is there a difference between intake vs. exhaust snorkels?

I always thought the intake snorkels were for intended to get clean air on dusty trails.

Exhaust snorkels are intended for high water crossings? Since I have never used one, I am just winging it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I can't get my head wraped around this, so help me out. Why are some states making it illegal to run snorkles? More big brotherism or is there really a good reason?
Wetlands regulations ............... in NH snorkels are legal on your machine but if you are caught riding in wetlands ..................well the fine will be $10 K and you are responsible for the cost to clean up the mess you made in the wetlands

·
Registered
218 Posts
Remember that if you ride in other states, you may get a ticket for having a snorkeled machine. Maine is one I know for sure and I have heard that there are others that prohibit adding snorkels to an ATV/UTV.
snorkels in Maine are permitted in certain circumstances ........
1. Land owner permission where you are riding . From the rule book Section #13157 , subsection 26
2 . Closed course competitions . section #13159 pertaining to competitions

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
It's easier for them to catch you with a snorkel installed, not necessarily doing the deed, than it is for them to catch you doing the deed.
I don't know if this is still the case, but you used to get in trouble in Canada just for having a fuzz-buster (radar detector) because it showed "intent" (to break the law).

·
Registered
218 Posts
It's easier for them to catch you with a snorkel installed, not necessarily doing the deed, than it is for them to catch you doing the deed.
I don't know if this is still the case, but you used to get in trouble in Canada just for having a fuzz-buster (radar detector) because it showed "intent" (to break the law).
But not all mudholes are considered "Wetlands" and Snorkels are LEGAL IN NH

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey scoundrel im from canada and as far as i know you will still get in trouble with that detector lol! As far as the snorkels i have been pulled over a few times with the ace already and most of the time they are just curious of what it is as they have never seen one before. Not any of them said that my snorkels were illegal so im pretty sure we dont have any laws against them YET! But most of my riding is done on trail systems that are on private property and require a pass. They also have trails just for people like me and my buddies where my snorkels come in real handy! So what im trying to get at is it really depends on where your riding this is actually the first time i've ever heard of snorkels being illegal.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Wetlands regulations ............... in NH snorkels are legal on your machine but if you are caught riding in wetlands ..................well the fine will be $10 K and you are responsible for the cost to clean up the mess you made in the wetlands
So am I understanding this correctly?.....In the State of Maine, causing damage to wetlands is a crime for everyone, but the LEOs are looking for snorkles on ATV/UTV because they assume they will be riding in wetlands.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
That is correct. If you are caught on a "public" trail with a snorkel, it is prima facie evidence of committing a crime and you will be cited and the ATV impounded.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
So am I understanding this correctly?.....In the State of Maine, causing damage to wetlands is a crime for everyone, but the LEOs are looking for snorkles on ATV/UTV because they assume they will be riding in wetlands.
No they are assuming you are going to do damage to wetlands, and more than likely some of the ones using snorkels will do just that. Lets face it folks loud exhausts and machines modified for going in mud have given us all a bad name and we have lost some of our rights, and land to ride on because of the irresponsibility of these individuals. If we are to blame anyone we need to blame ourselves for not speaking up when we see people damaging property or people making way too much noise in areas where there are those that don't want to listen to it. I'm all for individual freedoms but not at the expense of our environment or the lack of responsibility of some of our brotherhood.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Is there a difference between intake vs. exhaust snorkels?

I always thought the intake snorkels were for intended to get clean air on dusty trails.

Exhaust snorkels are intended for high water crossings? Since I have never used one, I am just winging it.
Mungo.....your kidding right. Intake snorkels are for getting air into the machine when the factory intake would be underwater, and exhaust snorkels are for keeping water from entering the engine when the factory exhaust would be underwater. Clutch snorkels are to keep water out of the clutch housing Snorkels are for atvs or utvs that have been turned into and used as submarines, period

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Not kidding. My only experience with snorkels has been full size 4x4s and when I inquired about how often the snorkle was used for mud and water as you describe it had not been very common in my area. The justification I hear cited is the clean air justification which is why I asked. Had not seen exhaust snorkels, but then again I have not been looking for them.

Just lack of experience on my part.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Not kidding. My only experience with snorkels has been full size 4x4s and when I inquired about how often the snorkle was used for mud and water as you describe it had not been very common in my area. The justification I hear cited is the clean air justification which is why I asked. Had not seen exhaust snorkels, but then again I have not been looking for them.

Just lack of experience on my part.
No problem....I just assumed everyone knew what snorkels on atvs were used for and you might be pullin my chain....guess not Have a good day

1 - 20 of 38 Posts