Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been over the sub forum looking at all the tire reviews and aftermarket rims. Read about the reason for different tire widths front to rear. I'm leaning towards going to 12X7 rims all the way around with the +4/-3 offset. Would this equalize my width front to rear? Planning to wrap them with Pit Bull Growler XOR Bg2.5's in a 26/9.00 r12. I've read nothing but good things about them. The terrain I'll be driving on vary greatly from hard and sharp rock to worm sperm muddy clay with tundra and swamp thrown in for good measure. Any pro's / con's or opinions to this theoretical setup?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I've been over the sub forum looking at all the tire reviews and aftermarket rims. Read about the reason for different tire widths front to rear. I'm leaning towards going to 12X7 rims all the way around with the +4/-3 offset. Would this equalize my width front to rear? Planning to wrap them with Pit Bull Growler XOR Bg2.5's in a 26/9.00 r12. I've read nothing but good things about them. The terrain I'll be driving on vary greatly from hard and sharp rock to worm sperm muddy clay with tundra and swamp thrown in for good measure. Any pro's / con's or opinions to this theoretical setup?

The wheels and offset you have listed will work fine but you will be wider in the back than the front. I have 12x7's all the way around mine with 4+3 offset on the stock tires and I'm about 2 inches wider in the rear than the front....aprx 50 front 52 rear. With the larger tires you plan on using on the front, you may be a little wider than I am. Good Luck with your selection

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have 4+3 x 12 rims and 9 x 26 Big Horn 2.0 tires and I think mine is around 52 1/2 rear and 51 1/2 front.

I will measure it tomorrow and let you know for sure.

Most of Polaris' are wider in the rear than in the front even with same wheels and tires on both ends.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
+1 - you'll be wider in the rear by about an inch, assuming all sizes are the same.

The only negative thing I have heard anyone say about Pitbull Growlers (aside from the weight which is just part of that tire's specs and therefore not a valid complaint), is that the aggressive sidewalls dig into the mud when running through ruts, and jerk the handlebars around. The complainer has them mounted on a 2006 Kawasaki Brute Force 650, no power steering.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Almost sounds like I'm better off sticking with the stock steelies and mounting the new tires on them with 1" spacers on the front to even out the width. I can live with the aggressive over the sidewall tread characteristics. The weight may be a hp robber, I'm sure in the future I will build the power train to compensate. I'd rather reap the rewards of superior traction over stock. Having the width equal front and rear will take away any guesswork to whether the rear will pass through a tight obstacle or not. Most of the time I'll be running by myself on wheeler trails to get to my favorite fishing holes. I'm springing for the wench with my order to help me get out of sticky situations.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I have 4+3 stock Polaris Aluminum Rzr LE wheels with Big Horn 26 x 9 front and 26 x 12 rear tires. Just measured the width yesterday and the front is 50" and the rear is 52". Have a set of 25" Big Horn tires on another set of aluminum wheels to put on when I ride the Paiute Trail, so I get back under their 50" width restriction.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I measured mine and they are actually 52" in the front and 53 1/2" in the rear. STI beadlocks 4+3 x 12 and 26 x 9 tires front and rear.

I have 4+3 x 12 rims and 9 x 26 Big Horn 2.0 tires and I think mine is around 52 1/2 rear and 51 1/2 front.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not too bad .750" per side difference is minimal. Thankfully all the trails here in alaska that I ride won't have any gates. 53.5" should still fit in the bed of my truck. I saw somewhere a link for tailgate braces but can't seem to find it again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts