Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have experience with mounting a winch on a sportsman. KFI makes the mount for the Ace that most use for a winch. Their kit comes with the bracket the winch mounts to and the metal lower bumper. The sportsman mount looks the same minus the metal lower bumber. Why couldn't you use the sportsman mount than modify the stock lower bumper. Want to mount a winch on my wife's ace but trying to keep look stock.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Anybody have experience with mounting a winch on a sportsman. KFI makes the mount for the Ace that most use for a winch. Their kit comes with the bracket the winch mounts to and the metal lower bumper. The sportsman mount looks the same minus the metal lower bumber. Why couldn't you use the sportsman mount than modify the stock lower bumper. Want to mount a winch on my wife's ace but trying to keep look stock.
Tatoo......the mounts look similar but they are slightly different, and I'm not sure if one will work on the other. I have used both KFI mounts on a regular sportsman and one for the ace and compared the mounts before I installed the one on the ACE and it looked a little different. Now don't get me wrong....I didn't try to install the sportsman mount on the ACE just observed that they looked slightly different Good Luck if you try it. The other thing, I was comparing a 2013 sportsman mount to the 2015 ACE mount. A newer 570 mount might be the same...just don't know

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks. I will more than likely just buy the ace kit. Just thinking out loud. The wife says how she realy likes the look of the ace and don't want me mounting some bulky winch on it lol. Women lol. I explained the importance of needing a winch especially on a ace or rzr. I have one on one all my machines so she says I will always be riding with you or someone with a winch I explained that depending on situation it's not always easy to get another machine to get you out. So she finally agreed to let me put one on her ace. I promised I will try to make it look as close to stock as I can and how it's tucked behind bumper. Unless anybody else has any ideas.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Ok thanks. I will more than likely just buy the ace kit. Just thinking out loud. The wife says how she realy likes the look of the ace and don't want me mounting some bulky winch on it lol. Women lol. I explained the importance of needing a winch especially on a ace or rzr. I have one on one all my machines so she says I will always be riding with you or someone with a winch I explained that depending on situation it's not always easy to get another machine to get you out. So she finally agreed to let me put one on her ace. I promised I will try to make it look as close to stock as I can and how it's tucked behind bumper. Unless anybody else has any ideas.

Tattoo....the KFI winch mount comes with a very nice steel fascia that looks better than stock and gives some protection at the same time. Installing the KFI mounting kit will IMO make the front end of the ACE look better, not worse, and that flimsy piece of plastic the kit replaces needs replaced IMO No protection from that plastic piece at all. There are pictures all over this forum of the KFI mounting kit. Just show her how nice they look. Also that stock bumper or winch cover is not really made to cut out a hole for the winch. It is way too flimsy to do that Nothing like the sportsman winch cover that is made to be cut out for the winch. Shes not gonna see some bulky winch mounted to the front of her machine, just the hook and kfi's nice fascia. Search , KFI winch mount for ACE, scroll down to, winch for ACE, click on it and scroll down to the 7th post and you can show her a good picture of the KFI winch cover, and what hers is going to look like

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked it out. Seems to be the way to go. Looks nice. Gotta tell ya I got her ace looking pretty sweet. The TFBB doors and the oem fender flares really made a difference.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Tattoo, when I got my first Ace last year I bought a Sportsmans winch mount and it did mount up ok but the problem comes after that. When you mount the winch it makes it stick out so much forward that the plastic cover can not be put back on. I tried to cut my bottom cover up to make it fit and there is no way it would work. That is why the KFI kit and the Polaris winch kits include a new bottom cover plate with them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts