Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sputter when I ride at a slow speed, and an occasional sputter during idle. I'm wondering what are some basic (simple novice) things to check for that might be causing this? It starts fine both cold and warm starts. I pulled and cleaned all air filters, but it's still doing it. Bad gas? Spark plug?

Anyone had similar issue? Thanks in advance for any tips!

Vk

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would check the plug first they are easy to access and cheap to buy can't hurt! If it's not the problem at least you have a spare!

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
If the plug is not it...

Tip the ACE to the right a few degrees, let it sit for a while, use a flashlight and see if you can see to the bottom of the tank. Look for water. If you can't see, siphon all the gas out into clear glass gallon jugs and look for water or other crap in the gas.

But bad gas would be an issue at high speed also, and especially starting, so that's probably not it - but its easy to eliminate that.
Clogged air filter would also be more apparent at higher speeds.

Most of "the usual suspects" result in idling OK but faltering when you get on it, so this is gonna be a weird one.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the plug is not it...

Tip the ACE to the right a few degrees, let it sit for a while, use a flashlight and see if you can see to the bottom of the tank. Look for water. If you can't see, siphon all the gas out into clear glass gallon jugs and look for water or other crap in the gas.

But bad gas would be an issue at high speed also, and especially starting, so that's probably not it - but its easy to eliminate that.
Clogged air filter would also be more apparent at higher speeds.

Most of "the usual suspects" result in idling OK but faltering when you get on it, so this is gonna be a weird one.
Last time I took one of my polaris's to the dealer, it sat there for 2 months before they figured out a very common problem (with that specific model 550) at this point, it's not a big enough problem to take to dealer, so I will tinker with the small stuff.. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Vankemp, Scoundrel and others on this forum advised me to mix Sea Foam with my gasoline. I have two old Kawasaki Mules and one of them had a sputter very similar to what you have described. They are older Mules with carburetors so this may not apply to a fuel injected Ace. I have a 30 gallon gasoline caddy that I use for my off road equipment. I added two pints of Sea Foam the last time that I filled the gasoline caddy. After running two tanks of gasoline with Sea Foam through the Mule, it now runs perfectly. I had been using another gasoline stabilizer product and I am now sold on Sea Foam. It seems to really clean up the fuel system. And Wally World has Sea Foam at a good price.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I bought a case of seafoam and I add it to the gas in the toy hauler, then fill everything from the hauler.

If you did get bad gas, water in it or otherwise, emptying the tank, refilling it with good gas, and running some seafoam will clear it right up.

You can also try taking your air filter off and putting some seafoam in a spray bottle, and having someone hold the throttle down partway while you spray some seafoam in there. Not sure if you can reach the throttle by hand in the engine compartment from the bed access panel or not. Anyway, it will bog down a bit and spew white smoke out the muffler. Keep doing that until either it gets better, or you've used 8 ounces or so with no results.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Also try to only use ethanol free premium gasoline if you can find it. The ethanol in the fuel attracts and absorbs water moisture from the air and condenses it in your fuel tank.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
If you can find one Cenex gas stations usually carry ethanol free premium.
The Aces are not designed to run premium fuel, and it will actually decrease your performance if used in a vehicle not designed for it. The ACEs are made to run modern fuels with ethanol and its well known that 87 octane is the recommended fuel by Polaris. Premium is a much slower burning fuel than 87 and is designed to counter pre- detonation in High compression engines, which the Aces don't have. If using premium is your thing, more power to you, but it really is a waste of money and counterproductive for performance in the ACEs IMO

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got called into work today, so I didn't have a chance to try any of these tips. My Ace is located at my cabin, and it's gonna be nearly a week before I can get back up there.... I will post the results when I dig into it. Again, thanks for the input!

·
Registered
19 Posts
It may be made to handle ethanol fuel but its a known fact ethanol attracts moisture. In yer car its OK cause you drive it every day your polaris may sit for months at a time between rides. This is when fuel can spoil and ethanol fuel spoils faster. And by the way I know how octain works I have been a mechanic for 18 years. Just my opinion and I have had good luck running ethanol free fuel.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Let's get back around to brainstorming what might be causing that problem, and see if we can come up with anything else for Vankemp to check when he gets time.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Vankemp, I previously posted on this thread that I had good luck with Sea Foam for a problem similar to yours on a Mule. I thought about your problem today and remembered that a few months ago One-Shot bought a rental RZR 570 and fortunately it was still under warranty. He developed a stutter at idle and low speed and it would run fine when up to speed. He took in to the dealer and it turned out that the injector had to be replaced. The dealer replaced it under warranty and it runs great now. I do hope that the Sea Foam or spark plug fixes the problem. If not, you might have the dealer check the injector. I have no idea what test the dealer ran to determine that the injector was bad. I am riding with One-Shot for the next 3 days and I will ask him.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
It may be made to handle ethanol fuel but its a known fact ethanol attracts moisture. In yer car its OK cause you drive it every day your polaris may sit for months at a time between rides. This is when fuel can spoil and ethanol fuel spoils faster. And by the way I know how octain works I have been a mechanic for 18 years. Just my opinion and I have had good luck running ethanol free fuel.
I wasn't knocking running non ethanol fuel, just there are many people in different parts pf the country that cant get it. If its available by all means use it if not them use what is available As .has been stated, a little sea foam and regular gasoline will give you the same results as premium non ethanol

·
Registered
447 Posts
Vankemp, I talked to One-Shot this morning about his replaced injector. The dealer did not have a specific diagnostic for the problem. They replaced the sparkplug, adjusted what they could and the problem did not go away. They finally called factory tech support and the factory suggested replacing the injector. They did not have an injector in stock so they removed one from a new 570 RZR and swapped it out. That fixed the problem. They left the borrowed injector in One-Shot's RZR and ordered a new one for the RZR that they borrowed from.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts