Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2014 Ace that when I put in any gear it stalls put back in P or n it start back up no problem. No other issues then it stalling in Rev and High or Low. Any Idea's.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

First thing that comes to mind is the idle is too high. Does it "clunk" when you shift? What are the RPMs at idle? Use the button on the instrument cluster to get to the tach.
Second possibility that comes to mind is the CVT belt is too tight (wrong belt?) or the clutch is seized up.

I'd start by taking the CVT cover off, block the wheels so it can't go anywhere, and then have someone put it in gear while you watch the clutch.
In neutral with the engine off, you should be able to turn the rear pulley easily. Can you?

I can't imagine you got it home from the dealership without driving it up onto a trailer or something, so let's have a little history.
How long have you had it? How many miles? Did the problem begin happening all at once, or gradually?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has about 90km worked great until she went through a water hole and sucked water into the belt drive case weird thing is that it does it about 7 out of 10 times.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sounds to me like clutch is seizing up. Don't some parts of the clutch have greese in them this could have gotten washed out. At any rate if my CVT clutch went threw water I would take it apart and clean it out and dry it off.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I ride in water almost every time I go out. I hope the clutch area stays sealed.
I don't go over more than about 2 ft. of water, cause the older I get, the more I want to stay dry.
I do pull the drain plug to make sure it is dry when I get back in the truck. I hope the Ace is more waterproof than this.

Right now, when I put mine in gear, I don't feel anything. When I press on the gas, engine revs a little the I hear a clunk and it starts moving.
I found that funny, but the shop says that's normal. Going from something I had to shift to an automatic takes getting used to.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Yes, this is almost 100% certainly a clutch issue, probably need to be taken apart, cleaned and lubed. Depending on what happened when it had water in there, you might need a new belt too.

Rduhon, that is normal. Clutch spins for a bit, then engages. Wish they'd made that smoother but it is what it is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When it does go into gear without stalling it has no problem getting to 60 km hr or faster, as soon as you put it in R or D it stalls you can't even get your foot off the brake and it has stalled. would that still be an clutch issue.
I will be looking at it tonight so hopefully have more info tomorrow but thanks alot for the suggestion I will be looking at everything.
Other than that it is an amazing little bike that the bike bikes can all except deep water but a snorkle kit will take care of that which will make my wife happy as it is her bike.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Yes, definitely still a clutch issue.

Be very careful when snorkeling, there have been reports of bad airbox lids not sealing properly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info will be pulling the clutch cover off this weekend and having a look. Hopefully it fixes it but will let you know other wise.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Yes, this is almost 100% certainly a clutch issue, probably need to be taken apart, cleaned and lubed. Depending on what happened when it had water in there, you might need a new belt too.

Rduhon, that is normal. Clutch spins for a bit, then engages. Wish they'd made that smoother but it is what it is.
Mine only does this when its cold. If I warm it up it engages smooth as butter

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Mine only does this when its cold. If I warm it up it engages smooth as butter
I only notice it when moving around in the driveway, which means I'm either unloading, loading, or washing it and working on it. In all of those cases it would be cold.
So maybe it engages more smoothly on the trail. I'll try and pay closer attention next time I have it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts