Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
So I have a 900 XC. Used to start perfectly fine and all and haven’t been used in a while and now won’t start.

When the key is turned to the lights before starting it is flickering everything on the screen and it sounds like one of the relays is turning on and off repeatedly. If you then turn the key to lights off it does not flicker at all and the screen is still on.
When you then go to start it sounds like the starter is clicking repeatedly but not turning over.

I understand that you need to have seatbelt in, foot on brake and obviously in park to start it.

I was playing around with it and when you turn the key to lights on and pull the lights fuse out it stops the flickering.

So the question is:
1. Why is it flickering in the lights on position and the flickering stops when lights fuse is pulled out.

2. Why is it not starting at all? Sounds like starter is clicking but obviously not cranking.

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Guys,
So I have a 900 XC. Used to start perfectly fine and all and haven’t been used in a while and now won’t start.

When the key is turned to the lights before starting it is flickering everything on the screen and it sounds like one of the relays is turning on and off repeatedly. If you then turn the key to lights off it does not flicker at all and the screen is still on.
When you then go to start it sounds like the starter is clicking repeatedly but not turning over.

I understand that you need to have seatbelt in, foot on brake and obviously in park to start it.

I was playing around with it and when you turn the key to lights on and pull the lights fuse out it stops the flickering.

So the question is:
1. Why is it flickering in the lights on position and the flickering stops when lights fuse is pulled out.

2. Why is it not starting at all? Sounds like starter is clicking but obviously not cranking.

Cheers
I first guess is that the battery is weak or below a 12 volts charge. Pulling the light fuse was a good idea to keep the battery voltage up during your attempt the crank the engine. To help pin point the cause, make sure the battery has a good strong charge of 12 or more volts, if not, it will be best to continue your troubleshooting with a fully charged battery. Put it on a battery charger, even a trickle charger will recharge a weak battery in a few days. If the battery does not recharge, it is possible that something is draining the battery. To confirm, repeat the recharge process with the battery disconnected from the machine. Once the battery has been confirmed as good and at full charge, observe the battery voltage when you turn the key to the different positions, it should continue to read a minimum of about 12 volts, if not something is causing a drain on the battery system. pulling fuses as you did before will help pinpoint the item causing the battery drain. If the battery voltage stays around 12 volts and the starter circuit is still clicking, it could be a bad relay and at worst a bad starter. sometimes this can be determined by swapping relays and/or hot wiring the starter. If the starter still does not turn the engine over, the starter circuit (wiring, fuses, connections, ect) will need to be inspected.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts