Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that the weather is nice I have been riding my ACE around a bit more (just around the yard no trail riding yet). I have had 4 wheelers my whole life (so maybe that is the issue I am just not used to an ATV type of vehicle with a wheel instead of handler bars)

Anyway...it feels like it is almost too easy to turn...its hard for me to explain...its almost like the front end is floating (and maybe it is since most of the weight is on the back).

I have an SP so its power steering. To me it just doesn't seem to steer right...I can be going about 25 to 30 MPH and turn the wheel and I don't feel really safe (again almost like the front end is floating). I guess what I am looking for/asking is do others feel this too? Am I just too used to my Sportsman 570 with handle bars and I can move to shift my weight. This is my first ever sit down machine and like I said I don't feel overly safe at speeds like 25-30...I am not jerking the wheel to make a sharp turn...nothing like that. It just doesn't feel like maybe there is enough weight in the front...Thoughts? Ideas? Maybe I just need more seat time?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a ace sp when I hit 18 to 20 mph the power steering goes away and you have good feeling, If you have no more feeling than a 10 mph you may have a trouble with the eps unit talk with the dealer about.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
So now that the weather is nice I have been riding my ACE around a bit more (just around the yard no trail riding yet). I have had 4 wheelers my whole life (so maybe that is the issue I am just not used to an ATV type of vehicle with a wheel instead of handler bars)

Anyway...it feels like it is almost too easy to turn...its hard for me to explain...its almost like the front end is floating (and maybe it is since most of the weight is on the back).

I have an SP so its power steering. To me it just doesn't seem to steer right...I can be going about 25 to 30 MPH and turn the wheel and I don't feel really safe (again almost like the front end is floating). I guess what I am looking for/asking is do others feel this too? Am I just too used to my Sportsman 570 with handle bars and I can move to shift my weight. This is my first ever sit down machine and like I said I don't feel overly safe at speeds like 25-30...I am not jerking the wheel to make a sharp turn...nothing like that. It just doesn't feel like maybe there is enough weight in the front...Thoughts? Ideas? Maybe I just need more seat time?
Josh, be careful with that power steering. We have a member on here who also complained about his SP's steering from the day he got it, and now he is recovering from a broken ankle after his steering went awry and he put his Ace into a tree. I'd get it to a dealer and let them diagnose any problems before they might get you into trouble. I don't have power steering on my 570 Ace but can tell you this, there is no speed that I feel what you are describing, and I have had mine to over 60 mph

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Here is the thread where the problem Vandal is referring to was originally posted: http://www.aceforums.net/forum/44-ace-570/1283-ace-570-sp-first-run-snowy-trails.html
At first, as you will read in the thread, we didn't really take him seriously, figured he had an alignment issue or needed better snow tires or something.

Here is the thread started after the accident: http://www.aceforums.net/forum/9-ace-talk/1428-hurt-ace.html

I have ridden the 570 SP and I felt nothing like what you describe.
I have aftermarket power steering on my 330, and while it feels very light, and I can turn the wheel with one finger, I always feel like it's going exactly where I have the wheel turned to - no floating.
I may not have the "road feedback" that people who are against power steering like so much, but I am always in control.

I agree with what others have said. Check the basics first, because an incorrect toe adjustment can cause the floating, out of control feeling you are describing.
Also jack up the front end and try and wiggle stuff. If anything wiggles, you might have a loose steering/suspension component.
But do these things in your garage, not on the trail, and do them before you break your knee or shin or ankle or something.
You need to get top the bottom of this before you crash.

I hope it's something simple like a toe-in adjustment. Please let us know!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All good things to check. Tire pressure and the toe. In the next couple days I'll jack it up and see I'd there is anything loose etc.

I can also turn it with one finger the power steering works well. And it seems very responsive I have had my wife sit in it and turn the steering wheel and the min she does the wheels do move. So I do know there's not an issue with too much play in the steering wheel.

I'll keep you guys updated over the next couple days

·
Registered
259 Posts
I had steering problems yesterday afternoon as well. And like Josh, it is very disconcerting. I ride a 2014 Ace and NO POWER STEERING. We were riding deep rutted trails with lots of football size rocks and bigger with lots of ledges and drop off and steps. Four wheel drive engaged, very slow driving, and lots of steering wheel turning with some lock to lock, powered on and left foot on the brake a lot. I had stopped, turned the steering wheel all the way to the left and backed up to a steep hill where the left rear tire started climbing the hill and probably put everything in a bind. Back to low gear again, and I thought I had a flat tire. Started looking at tires from the seat and no luck. Stopped, got out and looked, and even kicked the tires. On more flat ground, the steering seemed like it had a mind of its own. When I would start turning the wheel, it would just take off and go to the lock, then it would do it the other way as well when I turned. After a few more of these turns I stopped disengaged the front wheel drive and backed up about five feet, then pulled forward, then backed up again. The problem was fixed and did not happen again the rest of the afternoon. I am sure that when I backed up with that full lock turn left then a hard right moving forward somehow put a bind on the front end.

So maybe, just maybe, some of the steering problems others have had could be in the front wheel drive system somewhere. I am sure mine was.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had steering problems yesterday afternoon as well. And like Josh, it is very disconcerting. I ride a 2014 Ace and NO POWER STEERING. We were riding deep rutted trails with lots of football size rocks and bigger with lots of ledges and drop off and steps. Four wheel drive engaged, very slow driving, and lots of steering wheel turning with some lock to lock, powered on and left foot on the brake a lot. I had stopped, turned the steering wheel all the way to the left and backed up to a steep hill where the left rear tire started climbing the hill and probably put everything in a bind. Back to low gear again, and I thought I had a flat tire. Started looking at tires from the seat and no luck. Stopped, got out and looked, and even kicked the tires. On more flat ground, the steering seemed like it had a mind of its own. When I would start turning the wheel, it would just take off and go to the lock, then it would do it the other way as well when I turned. After a few more of these turns I stopped disengaged the front wheel drive and backed up about five feet, then pulled forward, then backed up again. The problem was fixed and did not happen again the rest of the afternoon. I am sure that when I backed up with that full lock turn left then a hard right moving forward somehow put a bind on the front end.

So maybe, just maybe, some of the steering problems others have had could be in the front wheel drive system somewhere. I am sure mine was.
Hmmm interesting....I have ridden mine mostly in 2WD. I have yet to take mine on any trails yet. I got my late winter and I have 10 acres but its all open. I don't feel my steering has a mind of its own...to me it just feels like the front end is too light. Almost like the tires are just barley hitting the ground and when I turn the wheel I just think it should turn more than it should. But I have never had any issues where it seems to be taking off and going to lock as you described. I would probably sh-t myself if that happened...LOL. I am off work on Thursday I am going to check tire pressure and the tow...Does anyone know where I can find what my two is supposed to be?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I also have a SP and felt the power steering is a little light for my taste. I've looked over everything and found no problems. I think for me I'm used to the electric power steering in my car which has 3 different modes.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Scoundrel
That is the first time it has ever bound up on me. I sure am glad that I was not going very fast, because I can sure see how it would have to make you have to change your shorts.

Maybe it was Abbyace or someone else that had the steering problem that I remember reading about. Sometimes these gray hairs get in the way of my memory. Sorry Josh for mixing you up with someone else.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Scoundrel
That is the first time it has ever bound up on me. I sure am glad that I was not going very fast, because I can sure see how it would have to make you have to change your shorts.

Maybe it was Abbyace or someone else that had the steering problem that I remember reading about. Sometimes these gray hairs get in the way of my memory. Sorry Josh for mixing you up with someone else.
Not a problem Stubby...if there really is some sort of issue with the steering on these I want to know. Maybe I am over thinking things...like I said this is my first sit down machine...I am not used to a wheel and not being able to shift my weight around on an ATV. Its possible I just need more seat time to get used to it too. Find out sooner or later...just hope I don't find out the hard way...lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
My wife and I each have SP's. They do feel light in the front, but the more we drive them the more comfortable we get with them. My wife's came with 1/8" toe in and it would just take off. I set it to 1/8" toe out and it's way more stable. They feel light but not out of control.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Hi all, I posted on here about 2 weeks ago about this very thing. About 20 hours on the bike, they took it in and flushed it twice,then refilled it with oil. Seems better now. Stumpy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK I am off work today so I got a chance to look at things a bit more. It seems my left front tire was towed in more than my right front tire (sitting on the machine). I used a different method to check the tow (probably not the best idea but this is what I did) I have a plow on my ACE it has two ears I guess you would call them that the plow hooks onto on the front. So I measured from those ears to the inside of the rim on one side and did it again on the other side. My left front was off by 1/4". I adjusted it took it for a very quick spin and it did seem a bit better.

Like I said I am sure that probably wasn't the best way to check the tow on the front tires but clearly something was out of whack...so hopefully it really was as simple as that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.