Polaris ACE Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been researching this issue for a while now. Machine is tricky to get into gear when changing from forward (L) to reverse and vice versa. Seems like i have to play with the shifter a bit, otherwise you will hear it click. Sometimes i give it a tad bit of gas to check and make sure its in before i nail it. Shifter seems to have alot of play in it if you ask me. Any recommendations.

From any gear to High is easy since High is the last drop in the pattern. It seems like something is messed up to me but i hear alot about how thats just how it is. I cant imagine it was designed that bad. Nothing seems broken, however i did order a new shifter mount and the bushing/clip that holds the rod to the shifter (have not installed yet). Other than that there is nothing to change. Fluid change?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I wouldn't call the gear shifter and changing from low/high/reverse etc on an ace "slick". I would just recommend you completely stop let the engine idle down and then select which range/hi/low/reverse you want it in then blip the throttle like you do to check its "engaged" and continue on. There isn't much you can do if the external linkages are clean and lubricated. I have just put it down to a quirky ace thing. Goodluck

·
Registered
77 Posts
My '15 570 SP sucked since I bought it. I find a quick flick of the hand/wrist is the best way to finesse the shifting of these machines. Shifting nice and slow never worked well for me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I hear what you guys are talking about as mines a challenge 2 but it seems to only do it when it's Cold. And I don't mean cold outside but it just seems to work Fine after I've driven it for a few miles

·
Registered
503 Posts
You can change the detent star in the shifting mechanism to part #3235982 which is in all the 2017 and newer Polaris sxs's and Ace's and this should fix the problem. It is located behind the plate where the shifting arm attaches on the top right side of the transmission. They cost about $25 from the dealer, cheaper from aftermarket suppliers, and are easy to change.
I copied this from another VS web site.

123815d1542948006-hoping-improve-my-hard-time-shifting-into-low-reverse-my-2015-900-grinding-gea.png

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can change the detent star in the shifting mechanism to part #3235982 which is in all the 2017 and newer Polaris sxs's and Ace's and this should fix the problem. It is located behind the plate where the shifting arm attaches on the top right side of the transmission. They cost about $25 from the dealer, cheaper from aftermarket suppliers, and are easy to change.
I copied this from another VS web site.

View attachment 29986
Does this apply to the 2016 900 ACE also?

·
Registered
12 Posts
anyone have install structions so we know how hard it is to change out and where exactly it is located?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Part # 56 is what you are changing.
It is located behind the cover where the shift lever attaches.
Take the lever off. You might need to take # 20 snap ring off of the rotary switch.
Take the bolts out of the cover and it should slip off. Make sure the shafts stay in place.
That lever with the roller has a spring behind it so just pull it down away from the star and tie it off to get it out of the way. Make sure the spring doesn't fly out and get lost.
Slide the old star off and slide the new one on and replace everything.
I am going by the picture in this thread and parts fiche on this procedure because I haven't done it but it is simple to do, but there might be other steps you will need to figure out as you go.

Look up 'Drive train, Main gearbox Internals' in Polaris Parts fiche for your transmission to zoom in the picture below.
http://parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp

701328.gif

·
Registered
503 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
rockman i read that post on the ranger forum,thats why i am asking for someone who actually did this part swap to give feedback on the install,not real hip on the part where they say be careful parts can go flying all over the place. seems alot of people talk about installing this part but no one gives any info on the install.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I researched and change this part out this past summer after Rock posted, now he has even gone so far as to put in the link to an online manual which is fantastic! Why don't you just click on that service manual link and do the job or have someone else do it? You've asked 3 times now for instructions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
aug i didnt ask 3 times for instructions,how bout you show me where i asked for instructions 3 times, your a typical forum *******

·
Registered
47 Posts
aug i didnt ask 3 times for instructions,how bout you show me where i asked for instructions 3 times, your a typical forum *******
ROTFLMAO
Post 10, 13 & 15
there's some helpful sharp guys on this forum but it seems you didn't like any of the replies you got. If you're not capable of following the step by step instructions another member provided for you take it to a dealership.
If you need to call me names have at it as I really don't care but if it makes you feel better go ahead.

·
Registered
12 Posts
aug as i stated before, your the typical forum *******. as for the post where i ask for instructions,i asked that in one post,post 10 only, in post 13 i stated i wanted someone who actually did the swap to comment, in post 15 i was explaining why i was asking for a comment from someone who did the swap. i already read the parts breakdown,a fool can read that and see whats there and how it looks like it goes together.

here is rockmans last quote after he tried to explain how to change the part by looking at the fiche """"""I am going by the picture in this thread and parts fiche on this procedure because I haven't done it but it is simple to do, but there might be other steps you will need to figure out as you go."""""" how does rockman know its simple to do when he has not done it himself and he has no clue what other steps will be needed to install it.

rockman has not installed the part himself or done the procedure and he states there might be other steps to figure out as you go? this leaves alot to be desired as far as the install, especially when you see others on other forums says be careful installing this parts yourself because parts can shoot out and go flying everywhere.

so aug thats sums that up,and yes your still the typical forum *******!

·
Registered
503 Posts
A person would have to be a real dumb ass to not be able to follow the information in this thread and change that part.
There is a link to the instruction page in the shop manual that tells you step by step how to do it.
This is the instructions from Polaris engineering that instructs Polaris techs how to do that operation.
Your best bet is to take it to the Polaris dealer and have them do it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts