Polaris ACE Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
aug as i stated before, your the typical forum *******. as for the post where i ask for instructions,i asked that in one post,post 10 only, in post 13 i stated i wanted someone who actually did the swap to comment, in post 15 i was explaining why i was asking for a comment from someone who did the swap. i already read the parts breakdown,a fool can read that and see whats there and how it looks like it goes together.

here is rockmans last quote after he tried to explain how to change the part by looking at the fiche """"""I am going by the picture in this thread and parts fiche on this procedure because I haven't done it but it is simple to do, but there might be other steps you will need to figure out as you go."""""" how does rockman know its simple to do when he has not done it himself and he has no clue what other steps will be needed to install it.

rockman has not installed the part himself or done the procedure and he states there might be other steps to figure out as you go? this leaves alot to be desired as far as the install, especially when you see others on other forums says be careful installing this parts yourself because parts can shoot out and go flying everywhere.

so aug thats sums that up,and yes your still the typical forum *******!
Clearly you can't be helped and no answer is good enough for you. If you would have put the same time and effort that you put into this childish reply into simply walking out to your garage and opening your toolbox (if you even have one) you'd probably have the job completed by now.

Rockman, thanks again for this valuable thread that allowed me to repair my machine. Too bad this clown(Junny) had to ruin it!

Regards
Aug the Forum ******* :huepfenicon111:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Rotflmao typical forum *******,at least you embrace it
So now you have referred to me as an a****** once again and as I stated before I don't care! The one thing that you need to embrace is that you are a incompetent ***** that snubbed Rock after he posted step by step instructions that weren't good enough for you.
I followed those same instructions and took the warning(about parts flying out) as caution but you wanted somebody to hold your hand and for the most part told him his reply wasn't good enough for you. There's a lot of valuable members that offer good information here but your reply to him after trying to help you was lame and now your butt hurt because I called you out.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Do we still have a moderator? Seems not.

So I just made the upgrade on our Aces (2014 and 2015). I have read that this applied to model years 2017 and down. I am not a pro, so I welcome suggestions and tips that will help others.

The part is Polaris 3235982, and they run from $15 to $40 depending on the source.

Follow the shift lever back to the transmission. Remove the 13MM nut that holds the shift lever onto the transmission. Remove the lever — it might take a bit of wiggling. You can disconnect the shift lever from the shift rod, but it is not necessary. The lever is keyed to fit on the transmission shifter shaft only one way.

Remove the transmission position sensor — circlip, wavy washer, and flat washer. Dirt buildup might make it require a bit of wiggling. Note that the sensor is keyed to the transmission body via a small plastic arm and bump.

Remove the five 10MM bolts from the shifter cover. Remove the cover, being careful not to lose the spring that will likely become free. You will lose about ½ teaspoon of lube. Some people were able to remove the cover and leave the innards intact — not me. The cover has sealant, so you might need to tap, wiggle, GENTLY pry.

Remove the shifter cam — it is on the front post, circular with a series of dips, corresponding to the shifter positions. Remove it, AND the nylon spacer behind. EDIT: Do not reinstall the nylon spacer.

Make sure that the rearward post is in place. Don’t freak if it came out — Look for the two dots on the gear, and the single dot on the cam teeth. Line them up and slide the new shift cam on. Lift the detent follower arm so it fits inside the cavity. Carefully lift the arm up, place one end of the spring over the bump on the bottom edge, and place the other end of the spring inside the cavity — It is pretty obvious where it will fit, and there is no particular bump or etc.

Clean and replace the cover, using sealant if you are so inclined. Replace the five bolts, remembering to put the wire loom bracket back where it came from. Tighten the bolts — I don’t have a torque number.
Replace the shift lever. It is keyed to go on one way only. Replace the bolt that holds it on.

Turn the key to accessory, and make sure the shift indicator on the dash corresponds with the positions. Crank it up and test.

First Ace took me about an hour. Second one took me about 20 minutes. I immediately noticed a difference. Feels more positive, and I don’t have to wiggle around to find low. No grinding, no missed gears.

I hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
100 Posts
From my post elsewhere...

I just took them around the neighborhood. It does not make the action of shifting any easier - I still have to pull a little more than it seems we should have to - probably no change in that respect.

When it goes into gear, it feels more positive, like you KNOW instead of maybe think it is in gear. Moderate improvement here.

The grinding... Every time my dash indicator showed a gear, it was fully in gear - no grinding, no misses, no sudden lurching when the gears suddenly meshed.

Avoiding the grinding was my main goal. When we have friends ride, they miss the gears, hit the accelerator and the horrible noise is embarrassing for everyone! I feel confident that the problem is solved.

·
Registered
12 Posts
first class write up matt, very nice and many thanks, am sure others will be thankful also. matt as for the nylon spacer you said to REMOVE, did you reinstall this piece back in its place or does this get left out because the new cam is thicker? thanks again matt.

augdog you know what i think of you buddy, my opinion wont change , lmao :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
first class write up matt, very nice and many thanks, am sure others will be thankful also. matt as for the nylon spacer you said to REMOVE, did you reinstall this piece back in its place or does this get left out because the new cam is thicker? thanks again matt.

:)
You are welcome, amigo! I think a big part of forums like this one is to create a problem-solving path for future viewers. I have found so many amazing answers to MY problems in several-years-old threads. I have also said things that rightfully embarrassed me when viewed several years later.

I was not clear about the spacer! The nylon spacer... I tried to reassemble with the spacer included and the cover would not fit. I removed the spacer and the cam did not interfere with anything, and the gear in it remained properly meshed, so I left it out. It appeared that the old cam and spacer were wider than the new cam alone, but a good ride the other day verified that everything works properly with the spacer left out.

Matt B

·
Registered
12 Posts
nice work again on the spacer tip and the install matt, am sure you just saved a few people some headache time with that tip on leaving the spacer out, if some that have done the swap experience any binding now they will know why and what to do with the spacer to fix it, good stuff buddy, thanks again. :yr1:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Great, report back here after you complete the procedure. I never had a grinding issue prior to this modification but what I experienced was it seemed the engine had to Rev to a higher RPM before would engage. Since then there's no question the machine is in gear and I can take off smoothly now without lurching.

·
Registered
17 Posts
View attachment 309 98[/ATTACH] View attachment 30998

So today I decided to do this mod instead of watching my IRA hemorrhage... Took me a while, mainly because the parts were kinda cemented on tight (and I lost the circlip for a bit). As you can see in the pics, the new detent star is bigger and thicker. You can also see the more rounded grooves compared to the sharpened, almost sprocket looking grooves on the old one. Since I lost a bit of lube taking it apart, I elected to use some heavy duty Marine grease I had on hand. It definately shifts more positive and a bit smoother (possibly because of the grease?) now. Much thanks to oldmattb for the step by step instructions. I have a few more pictures of the breakdown if anyone is interested. View attachment 31000

21 - 30 of 30 Posts