Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my stock battery has been weak quite often. I'm not sure if it's because I have a drain on the battery or if the battery is terrible. Opened the vents on the battery and added 1/2 CUP of water, so I'm guessing that will help. I also added a battery cut-off switch. I did this by taking the negative cable and adding two more cables (I got them in a set so one red should actually be black) I made a mounting plate and added it to the switch to the plate so I wouldn't have to drill any holes in the plastic, I mounted the plate to one of the fender bolts. It's pretty hard to find a good spot for this switch. I ended up putting it next to the seat. You cannot see it from the outside and it doesn't get in the way but it is easy to turn off, I think I will like this at this location. The switch is marine grade but the wire lugs are actually pretty exposed. It might get hit by some mud here but not too much.

Wire Auto part

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
So my stock battery has been weak quite often. I'm not sure if it's because I have a drain on the battery or if the battery is terrible. Opened the vents on the battery and added 1/2 CUP of water, so I'm guessing that will help. I also added a battery cut-off switch. I did this by taking the negative cable and adding two more cables (I got them in a set so one red should actually be black) I made a mounting plate and added it to the switch to the plate so I wouldn't have to drill any holes in the plastic, I mounted the plate to one of the fender bolts. It's pretty hard to find a good spot for this switch. I ended up putting it next to the seat. You cannot see it from the outside and it doesn't get in the way but it is easy to turn off, I think I will like this at this location. The switch is marine grade but the wire lugs are actually pretty exposed. It might get hit by some mud here but not too much.

View attachment 3702
Vinny....do you have a wireless remote for the winch. If so that is probably where your battery drain is coming from. They use a few milliamps a day whether in use or not and after a few weeks you have a dead or low battery

·
Registered
394 Posts
Not sure if the cigarette lighter is on the key switch or not, but if you park in a place where it gets the least bit of sun light, you can put a small solar charger on the Ace and keep her charged up. I do this on my boat all winter and it keeps the battery charged up all the time.
I do the same on the mower, except it has battery clamps instead of a lighter plug and it is inside. I put the mower near a window and it stays charged all winter with no issues and it doesn't lose water.
The loss of water in your battery would make me worry.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Not sure if the cigarette lighter is on the key switch or not, but if you park in a place where it gets the least bit of sun light, you can put a small solar charger on the Ace and keep her charged up. I do this on my boat all winter and it keeps the battery charged up all the time.
The 12v socket is on keyed power, but it's pretty easy to install a second one that is wired directly.
But a basic "battery tender" is pretty inexpensive, and it stops charging when the battery is topped up, which is probably better for it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I use the Deltran Battery Tender Jr for all my machines. They are great I have been using them for about 3 years and have not had to replace a battery since. Another reason I like them is they come complete with clips for the battery as well as a ring terminal harness(with a cap) so it is plug and play. I have three of them in my garage that hang from the ceiling so I just drive in and plug in and forget about it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been using a Stanley tender. The solar chargers are a neat idea. My winch is not wireless.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice work! What is that metal part with a handle.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Did not want to start a new thread just for a short question:

I`m about to buy a battery charger for our Aces. Thinking on the Battery Tender Jr or Battery Tender Plus
Battery Tender® Plus

Question 1: Do I need 2 chargers, or shall I just use a Y splitter and hook on both batteries to the same charger. They will be inside the trailer, sometimes for a day without using, sometimes for 4-5 month ( winter time ).

Question 2: Can I use this charger for the standard Polaris batteries and a new style Duracell AGM type too, do I need different chargers for these? ( if my stock battery dies, I will upgrade to AGM )

·
Registered
252 Posts
I use a cheap $5.99 battery tender from Harbor Freight. I have a 12 volt cigarette lighter style socket that is hot the entire time and plug the tender into it. I'm on my second season with our Aces which don't get ridden as much as we'd like.

You can use the same tender for AGM as you do for wet cell batteries.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Love it and I think I will do the same to my ACES. I have had bad luck with the switch Vinny used. It has a ceramic disc component that I found brittle and easily breaks. If you do a lot of rough driving, it may not tolerate its installed environment.

Ideas like this is why I love this forum! Thanks again and keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Love it and I think I will do the same to my ACES. I have had bad luck with the switch Vinny used. It has a ceramic disc component that I found brittle and easily breaks. If you do a lot of rough driving, it may not tolerate its installed environment.

Ideas like this is why I love this forum! Thanks again and keep 'em coming!
No kidding? I haven't had an issue yet but maybe I will.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hands down the best switch to prevent battery drain, fuse electrical system & help prevent theft all in one little black box! Bussman 100A Marine Circuit Breaker. Fully waterproof & small enough to tuck out of sight. At the end of each ride, I simply switch off with red button. Always worked perfect on weak battery, never had any problems with these! Bought mine off Amazon.
Technology Electronic device Font Electronics

·
Registered
299 Posts
Also to recover weak or new batteries, you need under 2 amps...1.25A-1.50A is best. I use the Battery Tender Plus which is 1.25A. I've recovered a few old Polaris & Honda batteries that would never hold charge for more than a few days.
Any charger with 1.25-1.50 amps & has deep recovery mode will save your battery if you don't wait too long.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts