Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So,
I just took the my SP out for the second time to Brown's Camp here in OR.

My question is simply this: Do the stock tires just suck on dry ground or is it just me? The first time I took it up is was a soupy muddy day and the thing seemed to grip fairly well. This last Monday when I was up there (and it was mostly dry and dusty) the thing pushed like a bear in the corners.

I have to say that I think Polaris failed big time by going cheap and making the hub cap plastic. I've already broken both rear ones off on stumps. I don't know, I guess my thought is that if i'm already spending north of 10 grand on an Ace, i'd probably spend $50 more to have metal hub caps.

I love the vehicle, but i've never like the wheels and tires. I think they are kind of ugly and the cheapest they could get.

I'd like to get something more like 14? Machined SIXR Rims & 26" MAXXIS Big Horn Tire Kit | Polaris ATV Store but i'm afraid that I will be too wide.

I'm open to opinions and advice.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You got a better link to those Scoundral? It just shows the eBay season ch page for those, not sure with ones your referring too. As for the tires, have you check the toe-in adjustment since just about every Ace is severely toed out from the dealer? It makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Stock tires don't clog up in clay or hard mud like some stock tires on the Japanese ATV's I have rode with.
The Japanese have great bikes, except for their stock tires.
But the Ace stock tires are not that aggressive. I think the Ace does decent in mud, it's just too low to the ground, in my opinion.
But looking at it from Polaris' point of view, low CG keeps it safer. If you modify, it takes the responsibility off of Polaris.
I will be getting some more aggressive tires, but keeping the plain black rims. I don't need the bling for a hunting vessel.
I don't want anything to really shine bright or stand out. If they come out with a 570 in green, I will buy it for hunting and bling out the smaller
powered one for my wife to ride on. She likes bling.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
You got a better link to those Scoundral? It just shows the eBay season ch page for those, not sure with ones your referring too. As for the tires, have you check the toe-in adjustment since just about every Ace is severely toed out from the dealer? It makes a huge difference.
Sorry, thought I tested that link before I posted it. Anyway, just go to ebay and search for "Polaris Sportsman Hub Caps".
This is what you're looking for:
View attachment 3483

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
They are rubber. They grab onto a little ring around the hub. These are the same caps that come with the stock base model ACE.
I looked at an SP that had lost a cap and verified that the SP model has the same hubs, so they will fit.
I'm not sure how good it will look with these sticking out through the hole in the SP wheels, but they'll keep crap out of your axle nut threads and be somewhat resistant to being torn off by obstacles.

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Both my 570 and 325 were off at least that much. How does that get through Polaris Q.A.??

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
The dealer is supposed to check it, at the very least.
I agree that most dealers are either too lazy to do this properly, or they assign their lowest paid monkey to do the setup, and that guy doesn't know how to do it right, or doesn't get paid enough to care.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Definitely check the toe and properly grease the thing.
I would be interested in your stock wheels if you want to part with them.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Definitely check the toe and properly grease the thing.
I would be interested in your stock wheels if you want to part with them.
I will keep that in mind. Current line of thinking is to use the stock wheels for the paddles (since I only go to Sand Lake/Winchester Bay a few times a year) and get some wheels that I like more for trailing around.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
But i'm not sure. Sometimes I think I want to get some wheels that give me a little wider stance on the dunes as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts