Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm debating getting a storage box and while I like the Polaris box I have often found the aftermarket does things as well or better than the oem for less $. This is not always the case tho.
Kimpex - Trunks, Expedition Sport Trunk
I stumbled across this Kimpex box and like the looks but I haven't found any photos of it in an ace so I'm looking for reviews of this box and any other storage solutions you have devised. I currently have a 8 gal action packer that actually fits great but I like exploring my options. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hey BDK. I haven't seen anything about that Kimpex box. I like the way they look. Their write-up says it will fit the 2015 ace. Which means it will probably fit the 14 models too. Buy one and let me know how they are. lol... I have the Poo box and like it. Mine does not leak, but Lori's leaked till Duane 're-sealed it. The Poo box is a lot of money for a piece of plastic.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
It looks deeper than the Polaris box. The gas can mounts certainly have higher retaining walls, that's a big flaw with the Polaris box.
Seems to me like it's worth a try.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive tire Automotive exterior Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Tire All-terrain vehicle Trunk Vehicle Car Auto part
I really like the kimpex box. The gas can storage works great, it's waterproof, has tons of room inside, and it utilizes the lock and ride attachments so it's easy to remove. I wasn't excited to spend 200 bucks on a storage trunk but it's such a nice addition to the machine that it made me say it's worth it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
What I want to know marauder is what size fuel cans are those? They look to small to be 5 gallon cans, honestly it looks like 1 gallon cans.

·
Registered
123 Posts
1 gallon cans, they're for the kids atvs and the chainsaw. At ages 5 and 7 we don't ride far enough for me to need more fuel than that in reserve. Works great for what I use it for.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have both the Kimpex and Polaris storage boxes.

The Kimpex fits with a little squeezing two 2.5 gallon Scepter brand fuel containers. The opening for the Kimpex is not as large as the Polaris but it has about the same or slightly less storage than the Polaris box.

Kimpex Cons: The locking mechanism is inside the truck meaning if your container is packed like mine with emergency equipment you have to remove a fair amount of it to get to the locks to unlock them for container removal. I like the cleaner look of the POO container better but I also need gas storage. Smaller opening limits size of stuff put into box. I have a large soft toolbag that fits easier in the Poo container.

Poo Cons: No padlock feature. no deep welled fuel container storage but should easily handle two 1 gallon containers with plastic straps.

Verdict: Toss up. Almost equal capacity but Kimpex is better suited for us with fuel capacity.

I am unable to max out the capacity of either container and I do not travel light!

If you need fuel get the Kimpex, if not, get the Poo container which also has a better fit and finish and is easier to remove and install especially when power washing the ACE after a long ride.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I would not buy from the sledparts ebay seller. They do not package the item well enough and when the item arrives at your doorstep it literally looks like it is used with about a years worth of hard use from scratches, scuff marks, and wear and tear that occurs from handling in shipping process. I'd look to another vendor. If you don't like how bad the item looks after receiving it you are responsible for cost of shipping for refund from vendor....baloney in my book since it was shipper who didn't package the item in the first place!

I will get truck bedliner sprayed on my Kimpex so it looks less rough. I like new stuff to look new when I buy it and don't mind damage that I incur from use. I guess you can call the Kimpex box from sledpars "distressed" by shipping.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow skyliner, great comparison! Good info on the vendor too. I am not really concerned with fuel storage so I guess the Polaris box would better suit my needs. Thanks!

What's everybody doing on the cheap? I like the action packer pretty well but I like to see what others do.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Wow skyliner, great comparison! Good info on the vendor too. I am not really concerned with fuel storage so I guess the Polaris box would better suit my needs. Thanks!

What's everybody doing on the cheap? I like the action packer pretty well but I like to see what others do.
I find the seal on the Action Packer to be a little lacking. But I have a Plano box I was using on the ACE and it seals extremely well. I bought it for $25 at Fred Meyer.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Reactions: cride1
1 - 20 of 84 Posts