Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

First let me introduce myself. I have been following the ace forum for awhile. Purchased my ace about a month ago and have been loving it. I live in the midwest (Iowa). I am currently hauling my ace on a small 5X8 trailer that has rail sides. I usually just put the ace all the way forward resting against the front bar and throw straps on it. I was wondering, Do I really need to put pulling pressure on both the front and back when the back is against the side of the trailer, or would it be okay just using straps to keep it against the front of the trailer.

What do you recommend I do?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Morning hawkeye233, for me it depends on how far you are going and road conditions. Any of the rzrs or for that matter bikes rear ends will bounce around on the trailer, I always tie front and back unless going realy close on decent roads. It also makes sure the front straps stay tight. Things happen and better to be prepared, but I'm the nervous type. lol

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hawkeye,
I do the same thing only with an XP1k but it has about a 1-2 in clearance on all sides. In fact the tail gate had to be extended by an 1" to allow it to close.

My dealer mention that I don't really need to "Lash it down", but I do anyway. Just a simple cargo strap, hooked on the bars on the RZR and looped around the tongue of the trailer as the pic shows. I just crank it up so the tires are up against the front railing...
Works great, it's not going anywhere and real easy to use/set up.
Just REMEMBER to take it off before you back the buggy out.... sigh, lessons learned... more than once... heheh,

fun..

fpoole_MssnTrl_Axle-136.jpg

(assuming I understood your post correctly)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would put a straps on the front and rear. If you don't, it will eventually bounce around enough and be rubbing up against one of the sides and scratch your new Ace up.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I don't want to come across as all doom and gloom and judgmental and all, so please don't take my response that way.
I just want to bring up a thought so you keep it under consideration.

Strapping down your ORV on the trailer is not just about keeping it in place while you drive down the road.
It's also about keeping it in place when something does not go according to plan.

A couple of years ago my dad was towing an ATV behind his Volvo station wagon on a 5x8 trailer with side and front gates.
Some 17-year-old jerkbag, with his 8-year-old little sister in the car, came whipping around the corner the opposite direction, lost control of his friend's cherry red Mustang, barely missed me, and hit my dad head-on. Both vehicles were moving around 35-40 MPH.

The trailer tongue folded from the amount of force that was applied to the trailer when it came to an instant stop. The front gate on the trailer was bent forward. The ATV was about 1 foot off of the front of the trailer.
That's as far as the rear strap allowed the ATV to move after its rear suspension compressed fully.

The ATV had been snugged up against the front gate of the trailer, but the front gate was not strong enough to hold it.
The only thing that kept the ATV from flying into the back of the Volvo and maybe becoming a projectile was the rear strap, which I thought was unnecessary because of the front gate but I always put in on anyway.
It is conceivable that the ATV could have flown forward and landed on the Mustang, injuring the driver (that might have been OK), or the little girl.

My suggestion is that you strap that S.O.B. down GOOD, with one strap at each corner of the ACE.
Because you never know which direction it might try to fly away during an accident.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hmm... Paul, you make an excellent point...

I'll be looking for point to strap down the back. Plus, it will remind me to unhook the front too.

Thanks..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the feedback... I didn't mean to come across as a stupid S.O.B or anything like that, Just trying to get an idea what I should do to my trailer to make it easier to strap to. I have one like the pic below. It is hard to see in the pic but there are 4 hook/loops on the trailer to hook to. but they end up right in the middle of the tire so getting a strap to hook tight is hard.
2013-Big-Tex-Trailers-15XT-08-Flatbed-Trailer.jpg
I will play around with it to see what the best way of strapping it in the back is,

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Stupid S.O.B.s don't ask questions and try to avoid problems and improve their situation with assistance from others. :)

My suggestion is that you purchase some closed-loop eye bolts (not the ones where they've just bent it around to form a loop), drill holes through the frame of the trailer, and install the eye bolts with washers and nylon locknuts for strength and vibration resistance. You can add as many tie down points as you want, anywhere you want. You might want to add some paint after you drill the holes and before you install the bolts if you are concerned about rust. Me, I'm too impatient for that.

View attachment 2058

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Two Last questions then I am done...

1. With doing that. I am afraid that I will not have enough length to have the ratchet strap to tie down with, Any recommendations for that?
2. I keep getting logged out of the forum when I change pages,Does this happen to anyone else?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
The point of putting tie downs wherever you want is that you can put them within reach of your straps and good angles. I'm always tying off the extra strap on mine.
How long are your straps? A good pair of heavy duty 15-foot straps goes for about $12.

I have not had an issue with being logged off of the forum when I switch pages. Are you blocking cookies, or have "private browsing" enabled?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I should have worded it different. I am afraid that the distance from the ACE to the trailer tie down will be too short. Meaning I will not be able to strap it down because by the time I pull all the slack out of the strap there is no room to ratchet it.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Oh, good point.
Some people cross-strap their rigs. Attach strap to left side of ORV and down across to the right side of the trailer and vice versa.
There's always some amount of experimentation to figure out what works with your rigs, your trailer, and your straps.
I'm sure you'll figure out a good setup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts