Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So getting this Ace street legal in Michigan is quite a job. Here is the list.
Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 8.56.21 PM.png

I finally completed everything yesterday and took it to a police officer today. He signed off and liked most of my work. He was hesitant on the blinkers because he said they were too much on the sides. Below are links to how I did the blinkers.

http://www.aceforums.net/forum/12-ace-builds/752-rear-bumper-ideas.html

http://www.aceforums.net/forum/12-ace-builds/734-any-front-bumper-ideas-enhance-my-custom-front-bumper-build.html

He suggested adding another one to the very front corner and another one to the very back corner (on each side).

He wasn't really crazy about the wiper http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DH3UQ9M/ref=pe_385040_121528360_TE_dp_1

It ended up being pretty positive. He liked the ACE and we talked a lot about the related topics. Now off to the D.M.V. and hope the rest goes smoothly. I guess they have to make up a new VIN number and it takes 30-60 days. Then there is another inspection.

·
Registered
420 Posts
im curious what exactly they mean by 'differential gear' under exterior...because I would LOVE turf mode in the Ace...

I assume they wanted the wiper to be power instead of manual?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im curious what exactly they mean by 'differential gear' under exterior...because I would LOVE turf mode in the Ace...

I assume they wanted the wiper to be power instead of manual?
I have no idea on the differential gear, either did the cop. Yea he thought the manual wiper would be to cumbersome to use. I took the signed doc above to the DMV. Waited 1hr for my turn and then 30min for them to figure it all out. I now have a different vin number. And in 30-60 days I have to bring the machine back for them to mount the new vin number and to inspect it again. I can purchase a temporary plate for $50 for 60 days if I want once I call my insurance company and rework the insurance as Michigan No-fault with the new vin number.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Nope once everything's official I guess I can ride anywhere. If it goes over 45 and is greater then 125cc I can ride on the freeway too. But really all I want to do is ride on some seasonal roads (two-tracks, forest roads). The DNR is strict about them and this is really the only way to get around it. At the sand dunes they have very limited parking as well, so much that often you cannot get on the dunes because there's nowhere to park (truck/trailer-tow vehicle), and signs everywhere telling you that you cannot ride on the roads or shoulders, etc. Now I can park at a campground five miles away and drive in, no parking needed because I'll be on the dunes. Maybe paying a couple tickets a year would have been cheaper but certainly takes the fun away from riding.

Funny tidbit: the parking area used to be much larger but the shifting dunes are literally making the parking lot vanish. In ten/fifteen years the entire thing might be gone.

·
Registered
420 Posts
i suspect the differential thing is them wanting a non-spooled rear(turf mode) as they are not good on pavement, they bind and push and can be a hazard with an novice driver.
thats cool you can ride just about anywhere if needed/wanted.
dune shifting is an interesting debate around here for sure...no good answer on how to react to wind I guess...lol

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm on week 8 waiting for my permeant license plate and VIN plate. My temporary plate is only good for a few more weeks. Seems a bit sloooow but i'm trying not to complain.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I get a letter from the DMV (SOS) and they want to know if the ACE is a pickup truck…. Oh boy. So I looked up the definition of a pickup truck and indeed the ACE is NOT a pickup truck.. lol

Merriam-Webster defines a pickup truck as "a light truck having an enclosed cab and an open body with low sides and tailgate."[3]Dictionary.com defines a pickup truck as a "small truck used for light loads."[4] The Cambridge Academic Content Dictionary defines a pickup truck as "a vehicle with an open part at the back in which things can be carried."

I wrote: I would classify this vehicle a one-seat roadster with some characteristics of a dunebuggy. A definition I looked up defines a roadster: A roadster is an open two-seat car with emphasis on sporting appearance or character. Initially an American term for a two-seat car with no weather protection, usage has spread internationally and has evolved to include two-seat convertibles.

Pictured Below: The new ACE pickup truck. ~18" BED.
IMG_4986.JPG

·
Registered
183 Posts
Are those reptile tires? If not what are they and do they rob power? I like em'!!! Could you maybe post a better pic so I can see what they really look like on the Ace?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Are those reptile tires? If not what are they and do they rob power? I like em'!!! Could you maybe post a better pic so I can see what they really look like on the Ace?

These are black diamonds. I like them too. They look super aggressive for street legal tires. The tread is much more aggressive then the factory tires. They don't rob the power at all on hard surfaces or compacted dirt. However, I do notice a little in the softer terrain, I think the dig in a little too much.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's an update on the Street Legal process. I received a letter this week saying I'd soon receive another letter in the next 30-60 days indicating a time and day where I would need to bring the ace to have a final inspection and get a new vin number. Then today out of the blue I get a call, the inspection will actually happen at my house on Monday. Hurray, now I'm just crossing my fingers that it goes ok. I think this is week 12 or 13 in the process….

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Finally! The ACE is Street Legal in Michigan but not without a bunch of hassle today. The guy from the DVM came out this morning to inspect the ACE one last time. He then applied the new vin number under the steering wheel on the frame and handed me the new title. I took the new title to the DVM to get the new plate. After my usual long wait I get up there and learn the assigned the new vin number as a commercial utility vehicle. So I spent about 1.5 hrs at the DMV while they try and figure it out with their main headquarters in Lansing. What a joke. But I'm glad I don't have to pay the fees related with a commercial plate. So I started the application on October 3rd and will be waiting for the new title for who knows how long but I did leave with a license plate. And the ACE is titled as a truck since they couldn't figure out the roadster thing. Crazy I tell you… So If I buy another ACE I get to do this all over again. Ha ha. Now off to cruise the streets.
IMG_5104.JPG IMG_5105.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
With any luck the people will be a little more experienced at it the second time around.
Or at least you will be, so you can nudge them in the right direction.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I made my can am maverick street legal a few years ago. Will never do it again, serious pain. It was titled as assembled pickup. I'm an Allstate Agent in Michigan and as far as I know, nobody insures them properly. If you actually called and talked to an underwriter for the insurance company your with, I'm 95% sure they would not accept it. But agents can sometimes work around things. I just wonder what would happen if you got in serious accident where you needed medical bills paid for. In Michigan we have unlimited medical payments, which is why we pay so much for auto insurance. I'm sure this isn't major concern for you, you probably just don't want to be messed with by cops. Michigan's insurance is a total mess.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts