Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there I was cruising the fire roads of Norther Cali, when all of a sudden, this loud noise starts, and the next thing I know, my rear end locks up, sending me out of control. I ended up plowing right into a big rock, on the side of the road. It hit so fricken hard, that it blew out the right front tire.This is the 2017 ACE 900 xc, with less than 25 hours on her, so I wasn't beating the hell out of her, like I do my wife and kids (It's a joke, Lighten up) So I get out and start looking things over, and I realize my right rear tire is flat as well. I didn't remember hitting the rear of the vehicle when I hit the bolder, so I just assumed it popped the bead.
So I get out my handy 2 piston pump, ans start to fill the rear tire, nothing.That's when I went into full on detective mode, both outer and inner beads were still on, and no punctures in the tire itself. So I crawl under the vehicle, and discover a rock, triangular in shape, roughly 6" long, by 4 or 5 inches wide, had somehow worked it's way inside the rim, then got jammed up by the brake rotor, and actually put not 1 but 2 fairly large cracks on the inner section of the rim.
I've been riding my entire life, and have never seen anything like this, it dam near split my rim in half. So I do what any self respecting Macgyver wannabe would do, I JB weld a piece of soda can over the hole, pump up the tire, and head back to camp, 30 miles away, with a non fixable blown front tire. Made it a very long drive back.
So once I get to camp, all my buddies are checking it out, and one of them says "does it always sit like that" That's when I noticed the full extent of my carnage. Front frame is bent, can't close the right side door, parts of frame are digging into firewall, and the CV boot is twisted as hell.
So now I have this brand new toy, that I can't play with. I bought some nice custom rims for the back, and a new tire for the front, so now all I have to do, is get the frame straightened. But then I started thinking, why the hell am I paying all this extra money to fix my baby, when I might be covered under the factory warranty.
So my question to all of you is. "Has anyone had a similar experience?
The next question is, "Do you think I stand a chance in hell, of having Polaris step up, and fix it under the warranty?
And the last question is, do I go directly to Polaris, or do I go back to the dealer who sold it to me?
I have plenty of pictures, videos, a broken rim, blown out tire, and even the rock that started this whole fiasco, so they couldn't say I was full of crap.
Any ideas, thoughts, or help, would be much appreciated,
Have a great day
Mark S.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well at least your ok. I wouldn't by pass the dealer, start there they will likely be the liaison with Polaris for the most part, sure you might end up dealing direct at some point but they will be in the loop so to speak, after all they will be doing the work. Hopefully you had gotten full coverage insurance before taking off to the trails, in the end they may be the ones covering your machine repairs. None of the new quads here ever hit the trails without a full coverage policy on them, you never know what can happen out there. Good luck.

·
Registered
299 Posts
First off, I can literally feel your pain considering machine is so new. I'd leave out the part of rock stuck in rear rim. That may be viewed as natural disaster type accident that can't be expected nor avoided.
I can totally see Polaris claiming ACE not designed for use around large rocks! lol. First rule of warranty is proving that you actually qualify for warranty. Easier for them to claim abuse when broken parts are involved.

Out here this would be under the "**** happens" category, though after only 21hrs. on blown sled engine local Polaris dealer pushed it through warranty out of sympathy...hopefully they do too so you can get back out & enjoy it!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I guess the real question would be why would Polaris even consider fixing this. The problem didn't occur because of anything they did. These type of events are why we buy full coverage insurance. Think of it this way.....for every non Polaris at fault event they fix the cost goes up for other customers and that isn't fair to the rest of us. I hope they help you out on this but if you don't have insurance you need to get some, that way you can be responsible for your riding events and we don't have to. Not trying to be an AZZ.....just speaking the truth

·
Registered
552 Posts
Dang, feel your pain on wrecking the new ride. Good job getting back to camp. I really hope you insured it. Coverage is pretty affordable as widely discussed on this forum somewhere. From what I've heard, it's hard to get Polaris to cover anything on warranty, but nevertheless good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
Wow I have had that happen to me with a quad but definitely not that severe I heard the grinding and stopped. Hopefully you have insurance. I had a accident with my last Ace SP 900 and I thought its not bad turns out the frame was bent and it was $10k to fix it it had less than 10 hours on it. Thankfully it was totalled and I got the XC. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts