Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting an Ace for my son and D-I-L who have 10 acres mostly track and hillside. My local dealer has a 2014 at $8000 (weak Canadian dollars) and I'm tempted because of the roll cage and extra safety that gives.

Stupid Q's coming up........

I have a short box F150 and see that the Ace will fit nicely....but......how do you get it up there ? The tailgate is good for 300 pounds. Long ramps ? Hillside? How ?

We cut trees for firewood and pull it out with his (old) Grizzly. He plows his drive in the winter too. How will the Ace do at these chores.

Can my D-I-L manage the steering or does it need the power kit ?

I thought the foot room was a little tight. I was wearing regular shoes (size 11), he is size 8, but with snow boots what do you think?

Thanks everyone.

TJ

·
Registered
111 Posts
I won't carry my Ace in my short-bed truck. With the roll-up cover retracted, the rear tires would be on the tailgate, which I think is too much weight. I have a trailer already anyway. Were I to, I would remove the tailgate and use a folding ramp.

I think the 330 Ace would be puny for the tasks you described. Others are using the 570 for work tasks, and seem pleased.

My wife has little upper-body strength, and has no issues steering HER Ace.

I have a size 12 foot. Sneakers are no problem. My size 13 ranch boots drag and clunk in there, but are do-able. Snow boots might be a problem.

The roll cage is a big plus to me. I am mid-50s and don't want to get hurt. Also, I had a dream (based on something I read) about some jerk putting wires up across trails to "discourage" quad riders. I think about that dream every time I ride.

Good questions, sir!

Matt B

·
Registered
183 Posts
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Automotive exterior I haul mine on my shortbed with no problems. I load it with a set of ramps. If you're worried about the tailgate I have seen people put 2x6 boards from the cab to the end of the tailgate so the weight isn't directly on the tailgate. The tires sit on the boards and not on the gate. I don't use the 2x6's but I have seen them used.

·
Registered
421 Posts
x2 I use the heavy duty ramps from Cabelas. Pricey, but well worth it. 2500 lb capacity, enough to hold my fat ass plus my RZR. Plenty long too. I haul my ACE in a Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 short bed.

·
Registered
183 Posts
These are the arched ramps I use. 1500 lbs. capacity. Not as heavy duty as yours but haven't had any problems so far. $160 from wal-mart. Vehicle Trailer Automotive exterior Car Ladder

·
Registered
1,747 Posts

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Stupid Q's coming up........
Welcome to the forum!
The only stupid questions are ones that don't get asked.
Looks like most of your questions have been addressed. I'll just add this: Tailgate Support | Pickup Truck, ATV, UTV | DG Manufacturing |

As long as the wheels are not on the gate once it's all loaded up it should be fine.
Note in Fordsc's picture, he can't close the gate, but the wheels are in the bed.
The tailgate supports will make sure you don't snap a strap and break the gate.
If you buy the full set including the shorter brackets, you can partially close the gate and hold it in that position with the shorter brackets.

·
Registered
22 Posts
re: pulling trailer with firewood: I have been doing this for years with a 240 Suzuki with no problems. The 330 ACE is far more hp and torque. I anticipate no problems.
re: boot size: I have size 13 Cabelas infernos and a 6 month old knee replacement and with a little thought, I have no problems with the controls. Note: I am not the kind of driver that requires a lot of braking. I just back off the throttle and let the machine slow itself. Along with occasional plowing, this is EXACTLY what I bought my ACE for.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The little Ace should serve you well. And I'd bet you a closeout 2014 will save you a bundle. An old pick up bed trailer works good too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all for the valuable info. It's the roll cage that attracts me, I want my son and D-I-L to be as safe as possible but the Ranger doesn't appeal and the 2014 Ace is about the limit of my finances. (I have two other kids and I like to treat them all the similarly.)

It looks like I will enjoy this forum !

TJ

·
Registered
111 Posts
Clarification - The 330 Ace would haul a cart of firewood around fine - I have a small garden trailer for mine. I interpreted your question to be about dragging 1000 pounds of felled tree through the forest.

Matt B

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Matt B,

What we do is buck the tree in the woods and put the rounds onto a skid or trailer and cart it back to the house/drying area. The hillside is fairly steep but the track through is easy, if a little rocky in parts. I would envisage winching up/down some of the longer thinner (6-9" maybe) logs and bucking them by the track then loading them there. It's what we do at the moment with the Grizzly.

The Griz is showing it's age and I really want him and D-I-L to have a quad with a roll cage. Semi retire the Griz.

We also set up a clay trap away from civiization so the neighbours don't get frizzed about the noise. Need to take trap, guns, clays, cartridges etc with us. Two up on a Grizzly with all that stuff is tricky,, so a second quad around the place will be handy.

Thanks for the help.

TJ

·
Registered
111 Posts
I see no problem moving the weight. I was worried about overcoming the static friction of a 50-foot tree and limbs on damp rainforest undergrowth. My 330 does not have the low-gear torque of the 400 Honda Foreman that it replaced, but I like my Ace. I don't think I would go back to a sit-on quad.

Funny thing - friend and I went on a pretty technical ride recently (Chiva Falls near Tucson) These guys with some serious Jeeps would come to the bad sections, send out a spotter, pick the best route and crawl up. I figure they had a $5K vehicle, plus $5K in tires and wheels, plus another $10K in mods. All this for a vehicle with no doors, gets 5MPG, breaks frequently, and is probably illegal for street use in many areas. It was fun to watch.

Then these guys come along in apparently stock Rzrs, wife beside them and kids strapped in the back. They aim for the middle and probably do 10-15MPH up the worst sections. NO worries! The vehicles fit on a trailer, in any garage, dependable as hell, and are street-legal here.

The game has changed. If you like crawling rocks, you get the Jeep. If you want what is at the end of the road, there is a new way!

I really like my Ace!

Matt B

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Funny thing - friend and I went on a pretty technical ride recently (Chiva Falls near Tucson) These guys with some serious Jeeps would come to the bad sections, send out a spotter, pick the best route and crawl up. I figure they had a $5K vehicle, plus $5K in tires and wheels, plus another $10K in mods. All this for a vehicle with no doors, gets 5MPG, breaks frequently, and is probably illegal for street use in many areas. It was fun to watch.

Then these guys come along in apparently stock Rzrs, wife beside them and kids strapped in the back. They aim for the middle and probably do 10-15MPH up the worst sections. NO worries! The vehicles fit on a trailer, in any garage, dependable as hell, and are street-legal here.

The game has changed. If you like crawling rocks, you get the Jeep. If you want what is at the end of the road, there is a new way!
Last weekend we came across a guy walking along the service road toward the parking area. Turns out his uncle's 4x4 broke down and he was going back for a spare battery. I was in the RZR with a seat open, so I gave him a lift.
As we returned, and were getting close to the trail he broke down on, he mentioned that he wasn't sure if I'd be able to get all the way to the truck. I said we'd give it a shot.
I killed that trail. it wasn't even the hardest one in the area by a long shot. The dude was grinning ear to ear, talking about being amazed at what the RZR could do, wanted to know what it was called, how much they cost used, etc.
He was about to buy an old Toyota and turn it into a serious off-roader, but I think I opened his eyes about SxS vehicles and what they can do. He may change his plans.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Some of the nice RZRs are like $20k which is probably more than some entry level cars.

I hope to enjoy riding enough to justify one of those down the road.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Yeah, they're getting up there for sure. The XP4 1000 is like $25K.
My 2010 was something like $14K plus $1K accessories to get started.
A decent used model 800 can be had for about $8K, a decent used S for $9K or so.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I won't carry my Ace in my short-bed truck. With the roll-up cover retracted, the rear tires would be on the tailgate, which I think is too much weight. I have a trailer already anyway. Were I to, I would remove the tailgate and use a folding ramp.

I think the 330 Ace would be puny for the tasks you described. Others are using the 570 for work tasks, and seem pleased.

My wife has little upper-body strength, and has no issues steering HER Ace.

I have a size 12 foot. Sneakers are no problem. My size 13 ranch boots drag and clunk in there, but are do-able. Snow boots might be a problem.

The roll cage is a big plus to me. I am mid-50s and don't want to get hurt. Also, I had a dream (based on something I read) about some jerk putting wires up across trails to "discourage" quad riders. I think about that dream every time I ride.

Good questions, sir!

Matt B
I'm not sure if you saw one of my earlier posts but this happened to my brother while snowmobiling, he hit a chain across the trail. Just about killed him, cut him ear to ear and destroyed the helmet. This happened in January so he's still messed up a bit. I'd like to share a photo but they're pretty wicked.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
I am seriously looking at buying a large patch of land and making my own track. I know it wont happen overnight, but the lack of riding trails near Austin has me thinking of making my own.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I bought the Ace. Better than I thought it would be, nice ride and zippy too.

Looks like it's going to be enjoyed.

TJ

1 - 20 of 22 Posts