Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
I've got the 3000 lb one on both of our ace's , they work great and the line speed is faster than my warn winch I used to have .
from amazon . the 3000 lb one goes for 124 bucks amazon's regular price .

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034ZUZM6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Interesting to note that when compared to a Warn winch they are physically the same .
the frame , the spool the freespool knob , everything is Identical to a Warn ATV winch .
except the price :greedy_dollars:

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I'm told that the more recent Badlands variety ones, 3000lbs and up, are pretty good. I guess the 2000lb ones are junk.
They're not in the same class as the Warn winches in terms of long-term durability/reliability, but for the money, they're a good value.

·
Registered
420 Posts
maybe if you use it everyday the Warns are worth the price. I have gambled with the HF winches for years now and never had one fail. I have a 9K on one flatbed and a 12k on another and have pulled some big stuff with no issues. I even had a 2k on a small trailer and worked it way harder than it was designed for without failure. The biggest issue with the older ones(pre badlands branding) is water. With pretty much everything made in China now the 3.5k badlands is a great unit for sure.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm told that the more recent Badlands variety ones, 3000lbs and up, are pretty good. I guess the 2000lb ones are junk.
They're not in the same class as the Warn winches in terms of long-term durability/reliability, but for the money, they're a good value.
I've got a 2000 lb Warn that died well before it's time ....................
and all it was ever used for was to raise and lower a snow plow .
there is nothing special about the Warns other than Warn thinks they are made of gold !

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
We don't need to start a winch war, whatever works for you is great. There are a lot of different environments that winches are put through.
I just know that I personally have trashed about six HF 2000-lb winches. They worked great at first and then they didn't. In some cases the switch corroded out, in other cases the winch itself froze up.

Finally got tired of yanking them out, digging out the receipt, and dragging them back to HF for my "free" replacement. Bought Warn winches, and have not had one fail since. The winches now last longer than the ATVs (I've moved them from ATVs I've sold to new ones).

I understand that the larger HF models, particularly the ones called Badlands, have gotten better, so I am not saying yours are ****, just that I will keep buying Warn for my rigs.

I have a standing rule where HF is concerned: "Never buy anything from HF that I might have to rely on to save my life." - that goes for towing/safety equipment of all types.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Well, I relied on my rock crawling experience when I bought a winch for my ranger, so I bought a Badlands 3500. Actually I based it as much on the reviews and they generally seemed as favorable as any of the others available.

We used them all and rode them hard and put them up wet, and they all had problems. Take into consideration that this was years ago and the winches we used were larger.

I had a Harbor Freight 8000# that I used for years and after I replaced a broken sun gear (the single only problem I had with it) with one from Ramsey it was still going strong years later when I sold the rig.

Warns are good, but not perfect, and over priced IMO.

In my experience a Warn was just as likely not to work as anything else, Ramsey, Super Winch, Harbor freight, etc. The Warn's were usually good mechanically but they had lots of problems with solenoids and other wiring. The only Super Winch we had in the group was over rated by about 2000#. The Ramseys were generally reliable but the motors got hot pretty easily and you had to let them cool just like the HF I had and they were slower than the Warn's.

With most of them being made in China these days it might be just a crap shoot on getting a good one from any of the resellers. There are lots of new names out there and I think a lot of them are just the same winch with a different sticker.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have this exact model on my ace already, i paid 99 bucks for it and was a little skeptical myself but i used it 3 times today and use it all the time and it works great! So far no issues and it has all the pull you really need,Definately worth the hundred bucks.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have a standing rule with winches...any brand. Buy the next size up(or 2) from what you think you need. You think 2k will do it...buy a 3-3.5k, 9k will pull that superduty...buy the 12k.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts