Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys and girls another disabled rider here that is super happy to be back blasting trails again thanks to Polaris and their innovative new atv design :drive1:
First off, I have MD (muscular dysprophy) and am in a wheel chair, I have use of my arms and legs but they are not very strong.... but so far plenty strong enough to use the EPS steering ..... still waiting for the day power brakes are on these things lol.

I searched around the web curious if there was a hand control set for the Ace or RZR and found a place that had them for the Ace, RZR, Ranger along with Yamaha, Kawisaki, Can-Am ect.... very cool

I dont want to violate any forum rules, Im not a retailer or affiliated with any companies.... just want other disabled riders to have a chance to get out again and have some fun

This is where I found the hand controls ..... that are pretty affordable considering the usual cost for disability related equipment
UTV Sure Grip Hand Controls for Disabled Riders

They are made in Canada by these guys (owner is in a chair so he knows what works) and have some other innovative stuff
Sure Grip: Innovative Driving Solutions for the Disabled

I have done the install on my Ace and it worked out really well, I found there is a lot of adjust-ability in the kit so you can find the most comfortable spot for your controls. The kit is a little more than just bolt on you will have to modify a few parts on the kit and Ace for a good clean fit but nothing to major.

Overall Im pretty happy with the hand control kit .... simple, adjustable and does not break the bank.

Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

My first mod was addressing the super heavy throttle spring and weird foot cutout, I found with the cut out the pedal was too high off the floor and you foot would slide off of it easily.

1: Used a Dremel with a cutting wheel and cut half the throttle spring off (new style has 2 spring loops)

2: Made a new flat alum floor board and applied grip tape

3: Made a bearing roller to mount to throttle pedal with 4 rivets
Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part

Auto part

4: Made a "desert style" floor mounted throttle pedal with the hand control gas rod attached
Technology Electronic device Metal

That took care of the weird floor board situation and made the throttle weight much better with less spring tension.
Auto part Automotive exterior Vehicle

Reactions: WillB

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Next is getting the steering column set up to install the main mounting block for the hand controls, you have a few options where to mount it but we figured this was the best spot.

THIS SETUP MIGHT ONLY WORK WITH A 2.5 INCH OFFSET STEERING WHEEL NOT THE OEM WHEEL
You could notch out the the square part of the steering column a bit and slide the mounting block forward another 1-1.5 inches and should work but I have not tried this so I cannot confirm it works or not however there is alternate mounting instructions with the hand control kit for mounting the controls to the cross bar on the lower dashboard area so you WILL be able to get a set of working hand controls.

1: Remove the tilt gas shock from the column

2: Use a small cut off wheel to cut part of the mounting tab for the gas shock
Auto part Vehicle Plant Wheel

3: Make a new bracket out of alum or steel or tie rod ect ... that puts the steering wheel on the angle you like

4: Now you can attach the main mounting block to the steering column, I painted it black first so it blended in better
Machine Auto part Machine tool Wheel Metal

5: Then you attach the new steering column bracket you made
Auto part Vehicle Automotive exterior Engine Car

6: Now you must cut the supplied mounting rod to the correct size for your steering wheel my wheel has a 2.5" offset so I could get away with tucking it in really close but may be different if using the stock steering wheel (0 offset)
Font Handle

7: Attach the lever assembly and mock it up to the ideal location for you with the steering wheel on
Vehicle Auto part Car

8: Follow the rest of the instructions for mounting the brake and gas rods, these just bolt up with no extra mods needed. Just a tip make sure to mount the brake rod first, and then the gas rod, you can put some pre load on the gas pedal to get rid of the 1/2"' dead zone.
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

Finished setup
Photography Vehicle Auto part

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Steering wheel Automotive exterior

If any one has any questions I would be happy to help you out..... just post or PM

Reactions: Rduhon

·
Registered
510 Posts
I am not disabled but that is pretty cool. Glad you found a way to get out on the trails:encouragement:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Polarbear, yup driving one of those electric scooters was killing me inside, had to nut up and get a 570 lol

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for making it a sticky Scoundrel, lets hope this gets a few more people out enjoying their Ace and some trails

Went on a good 40-50 mile run this weekend with some friends and had a blast and a half, the hand controls are working out great and I have even come up with another mod to increase the braking power up to 50% so you can fully lock up your brakes with very little effort.... will post that up shortly

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.