Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just ordered up a set of suspension seat brackets.
People rave about how much better suspension seats feel, but they're pretty expensive.
These brackets are relatively inexpensive, and are supposed to be the next best thing.
I'll keep you posted on the install and how well they work.

It looks like DMC is having some issues with their website, so here is a link to their online store: http://desertcraft-us.3dcartstores.com/Suspension-Seat-Bracket-_p_64.html

Here is a page that currently doesn't work, but is where the ACE stuff is supposed to live: http://www.desertmoldingconceptsinc.com/offroad_products/all_other_polaris_rzrs
And here is a page that does work, and has the ACE stuff link: http://www.desertmoldingconceptsinc.com/offroad_products

View attachment 1616

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The seat brackets arrived today, and I installed them.

What's in the box:
Tie bar
Suspension seat bracket assemblies w/2 red springs on each
2 Hard springs with red stops
2 Soft springs with blue stops
3 button head screws
4 studs
4 flange nuts
10 washers
2 urethane spacers

Tools Needed:
7/16" wrench
5/32 Allen wrench
1/8" Allen wrench
T-27 Torx bit
Small flat head screwdriver
Loctite

The instructions were written for a RZR, and thus needed some interpretation for the ACE.
The instruction video helped: Desert Molding Concepts, Inc - Install/Instructional Videos to get the idea of what they were trying to do, though it is not terribly complicated.
It took me perhaps an hour to put it together. I was not in a hurry.

It is important that nothing sticks up past the top of the flange nut into the suspension travel area, limiting it.
I ended up using one washer on the rear left, and three washers on the rear right because of the longer screw.

Because the ACE has seat slider brackets instead of a seat base, a few instructions need to be interpreted differently.
If you have some mechanical inclination, you'll figure it out pretty easily.

The front of the seat is nearly 1" higher after installation, and the angle of the seat is different because of the spring travel on the back.

Side Note: It occurred to me during installation that a taller person could produce more leg room by putting spacers between the seat frame and the ACE's slider brackets, and drilling new holes to move the seat further back.

Sitting in the ACE in the garage, I didn't feel much of a difference - but when I am on the trail and the machine is bouncing under me, that's when I'll feel it.
So I cannot report on how well it works until I go riding with it. That should happen next weekend, if I bring the ACE along for the ride (depends on whether all ATVs fit in the truck/hauler as expected).

I'll get back to you.

Some pictures:
View attachment 1646 View attachment 1647 View attachment 1648 View attachment 1649 View attachment 1650 View attachment 1651 View attachment 1652

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Remember, if you like the look of these things, tell them Scoundrel sent you! they were good to me and it would be nice if they knew I was giving something back.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went on a several-day ride, and tried these out.
These things definitely take the bite out of the bumps.
I don't know how a full suspension seat feels, so I can't compare with one of those, but the price is right for one of these bracket kits for sure.
It's worth what they cost, and they're not difficult to install, so it's a good upgrade.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thanks, I'm looking to order this but just waiting to see what the reviews are on the suspension seat. After Colorado I do need an upgrade to the seat.

·
Registered
420 Posts
glad they worked out well.
After running jones creek I can tell the appeal to doing something a little different with the seat.
I have some seats from a SHO taurus...maybe I should rig one of those in :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
DMC was great,I called and ordered the kit on a Friday when they were walking out the door to an event.She said it would go out Monday.
Monday I received an e mail it had been shipped ,had in a couple of days installed before the weekend nice works well and I may try different springs.
I had to drill my seat slide to get to the seat bolts other than that easy to install and easy to change springs out to adjust for your weight.
I may add the air seat.... anyone have one ? comments

·
Registered
72 Posts
My seats track bolts were installed with with some sort of quick fasteners similar to a bolt /rivet combo that would just spin and not allow the bolts to back out,so the track could disconnect from the seat frame.The track was covering the bolts that attach the seat base to the frame.I had to drill holes above the bolts to allow access to the bolts that disconnect the seat to install the studs yada yada and re assemble.
Did yours have bolts and the seat track threaded, that back out? its possible Polaris changed in production. OR I just did it the hard way?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My seats track bolts were installed with with some sort of quick fasteners similar to a bolt /rivet combo that would just spin and not allow the bolts to back out,so the track could disconnect from the seat frame.The track was covering the bolts that attach the seat base to the frame.I had to drill holes above the bolts to allow access to the bolts that disconnect the seat to install the studs yada yada and re assemble.
Did yours have bolts and the seat track threaded, that back out? its possible Polaris changed in production. OR I just did it the hard way?
I just unscrewed my tracks from the seat frame, then unscrewed the bottom seat from the seat frame, installed the kit, then reinstalled the tracks.
Some pics here: http://www.aceforums.net/forum/30-ace-accessories/738-suspension-seat-brackets.html

I'm going to move these last few posts and attach them to the bottom of that other thread. We're drifting.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Mine would not unscrew just spin,the fastener they were screwed or pushed into on the inside of track would just turn inside the track when i turned the bolt.The track was not threaded or a nut tack welded inside the track.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Mine would not unscrew just spin,the fastener they were screwed or pushed into on the inside of track would just turn inside the track when i turned the bolt.The track was not threaded or a nut tack welded inside the track.
Oh, now that you mention it, I did have one of the fasteners come loose. I think it happened to me when I was re-tightening everything.
These threaded receptacle things are embedded in the seat bottom, and that is what the screws thread into.
But I thought this was how the seat connects to the frame, not the rails. Can't tell from my pictures

The receptacle thing looked like these:

View attachment 2112

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
My suspension system is on the way and I told them you referred me Scoundrel.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Awesome, thanks!
Old thread but I ordered the suspension bracket today and Mark at DMC said the kit for the Ace now comes with instructions for the Ace. I also told them that I heard about them through you Scoundrel and the Ace forum. Are these brackets going to make me smile when going through the rocks?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are these brackets going to make me smile when going through the rocks?
They will reduce the amount you wince and grit your teeth. An actual suspension seat would be more likely to make you smile, but these are cheap enough to be a good half-measure.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I installed the suspension brackets today and they actually do make the ride a little more tolerable. Was very pleased with the way they feel. Haven't tried them on a rough trail yet but from the rough part of my yard I can tell that they will make riding bad stuff a little more comfortable. Installation was pretty straightforward and not complicated at all. Maybe a little over an hour and most of that time was making sure I did it right and doublechecking the bolts and springs. I will post some more after I try them out on a real trail

Reactions: duane h
1 - 20 of 83 Posts