Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys after I installed the tires I saw the camber angle did not seem right so I got it up on the lift and let the suspension fully extend and the dropped it back down. I see one tire closer to strut than the other. Can you guys tell me if this is normal. I can stick my index finger in on one side and my finger goes to first bend and on the right side my finger goes to the second. There is no adjustment and nothing looks bent. I also noticed that my steering wheel is not straight when driving. It's cocked to the right when driving image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Having the steering wheel being off, and the toe-in wrong is a very common issue with the ACE. A lot of these machines are getting delivered to customers with the steering messed up.
Makes me wonder if it's wrong on all of them for shipping reasons (like maybe that is how it all fit in the smallest crate possible) and is a setting that the dealers are supposed to fix during setup after de-crating them. That's just a guess, I have no idea. But the bottom line is you should ask your dealer to fix the front end alignment, or check out this thread and do it yourself:
http://www.aceforums.net/forum/13-ace-how-s-guides/509-how-measure-set-toe-out-adjustment.html

Once that is done, if you still have a different gap on one side vs the other, next thing to do is jack up the front end and spin your front tires, and look for wobble on the wheels and the tires.
Also try and wiggle stuff all over the place and see if anything is loose (axle nut loose, bad wheel bearings, etc.).

If you cannot find any wiggles or wobbles and the gap is still different from one side to the other, it's time for a visit to the dealer.
Good luck!

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Oh, and let's not overlook the obvious:
Are the tires actually the same width? Look at the numbers on the tires _and_ measure them.
Are the wheels actually the same size? Measure them.
Are the tires inflated to the same air pressure?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scoundrel you pointed the toe settings out to me with my first run in the snow. I took it back to the dealer and the adjusted it (supposedly) but it did look better when I got it back. I switched the tires with the stock size pitbull growlers and I inflated them both to 4lb. This is when I noticed the spacing. When I had it up on the lift I did spin the wheels by hand and they both wobbled a bit but I figured that they weren't balanced so they might wobble a bit. I never took the steering wheel off so I am assuming they just installed it wrong. I got a great deal on the ace buy my dealer really didn't prep the bike correctly and I made them do it over. The toe settings were off, missing a hubcap, missing a predicted for the air filter and the worst of all was the tire pressures were all different. My rear tires had 6lbs and 11 lbs and front tires had 5 and 7. I never checked the pressure and when I took it out in the snow I had serious trouble keeping the bike hooked up. Scoundrel what is the difference between ur ace and rZR and what do you ride more. My girl has been showing interest in coming along once in a while and I would actually love to ride with her. I was ready to buy another ace for her but the RZR 900 is pretty sweet and was thinking of either just buying one and getting rid of my brand new ace or having them both.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Sorry, I mention the toe setting so often, I forget who I've said it to.
The first time my toe setting was wrong I brought it to the dealer. They straightened my steering wheel but the toe was still off. So depending on which monkey worked on your ACE...
Also, I've had to readjust my toe about 6 times due to hitting rocks with the A-arm, stumps with the tire, etc.
I have not had to do it again since I got the A-arm guards installed, so that's a bonus.

Having the tires pressure be wrong was the worst thing? Seems to me that's the easiest thing to fix. I check mine before every other ride or so depending on how long it's been sitting since the last ride.

The ACE is halfway between a quad and a RZR. The RZR is longer, wider, heavier, and my 800 RZR does have more power than my 325 ACE.
A 570 ACE might be just as powerful as a 900 RZR, or at least close enough.

My RZR, being the S model, has better suspension than the ACE.
The RZR can handle steeper angles (front to back and side to side) because of the larger footprint, but cannot fit on the narrow trails that the ACE can.

I put 2700 miles on the RZR in 4 years.
I put 1700 miles on the ACE in 1 year.

But then, the ACE was the new toy and I was riding with some quad guys, especially the Paiute ATV Trail trip.
These days I've been riding more with RZR guys, and my ACE has been down with broken struts, so I've been using the RZR more.

If you want my vote, if you can afford it and have the storage space, get both.
If your girl wants to drive, you are truly blessed and you should definitely have two machines.
If she just wants to be a passenger, the RZR might work out better for you so you can ride double sometimes, and other times go alone in the ACE.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts