Polaris ACE Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After doing some crawling with the ace last month I decided to see how much difference removing the rear sway bar would make. I removed the sway bar on my last 2 Kawasaki Teryx's and I could feel a huge improvement but I didnt take before and after pics to see how much flex I really gained. Below are the before and after photos. I have not really driven it yet so I can't comment on how much it affects high speed handling but I will report in a few weeks after I put some miles on it. I expect the ride to improve dramatically as well.

The last 2 are showing the distance from the center of the hub to the ground on the right front tire. Maybe this will help some people that are on the fence about removing it. Btw, it took me about 30 minutes to do including taking the poser pics. Very simple, just need 2 shorter bolts to replace the ones on the lower shock mounts

·
Registered
510 Posts
After doing some crawling with the ace last month I decided to see how much difference removing the rear sway bar would make. I removed the sway bar on my last 2 Kawasaki Teryx's and I could feel a huge improvement but I didnt take before and after pics to see how much flex I really gained. Below are the before and after photos. I have not really driven it yet so I can't comment on how much it affects high speed handling but I will report in a few weeks after I put some miles on it. I expect the ride to improve dramatically as well.

The last 2 are showing the distance from the center of the hub to the ground on the right front tire. Maybe this will help some people that are on the fence about removing it. Btw, it took me about 30 minutes to do including taking the poser pics. Very simple, just need 2 shorter bolts to replace the ones on the lower shock mounts
I have removed mine as well,have not done any high-speed riding yet but much better ride and flex on the rough stuff. I went a little stiffer on the rear shock pre-load to help with the body roll when cornering. I may install some rear stock ace 900 springs as they are progressive and may help the handling at higher speeds. I will be testing mine out next weekend on a variety of terrain and speeds and will post my findings!

Reactions: whitetrash

·
Registered
183 Posts
Been thinking of removing mine. I don't really do any high speed stuff anyway. When I ride I seldom see anything over 25 to 30 mph. With that said I'm still a lil weary of the body roll. Do either of you recall what length and size bolt you used. If not, I can just take one out and go get one the same size just shorter? Just tryin to save a lil time!:)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just used a bolt I had laying around from an old lift kit, but I would guess a 2" long bolt would do it, 2 1/2 to be safe. I'm not sure what size the factory bolt was but it took a 15mm socket & wrench. Hope this helps

·
Registered
510 Posts
Been thinking of removing mine. I don't really do any high speed stuff anyway. When I ride I seldom see anything over 25 to 30 mph. With that said I'm still a lil weary of the body roll. Do either of you recall what length and size bolt you used. If not, I can just take one out and go get one the same size just shorter? Just tryin to save a lil time!:)
I went to home depot and bought 2 metric grade 8.8 bolts,4flat washers and 2 nylock nuts. The size of the bolts I used is m10x1.5x60mm. Tightened the replacement bolts to 35 ft.lbs. Hope this helped you out:eagerness:

Reactions: glamisace570

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks! Plannin on takin mine off this weekend. Gonna have to buy new bolts so I definitely appreciate the help! :)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Thanks! Plannin on takin mine off this weekend. Gonna have to buy new bolts so I definitely appreciate the help! :)
Your welcome! Let us know how you like it removed.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Took my sway bar off after I installed the Walker Evans shocks. Much better ride quality and very little body roll. I'm keeping it off.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Reactions: polarbear

·
Registered
510 Posts
I just got back from a weekend of riding and put 100 miles on my ace with the sway bar removed. I rode a variety of terrain ranging from smooth dirt roads to very technical off-camber,steep,muddy and rocky trails and i will be leaving the sway bar off. There was more body roll at higher speeds around corners even with the rear springs set in the middle pre-load setting but the ride and flex in the rough terrain was way better than with the bar on. Potholes and bumps that I would have felt before were invisible now. I ended up setting the rear springs in the second stiffest setting and this seemed like a good compromise between body roll and trail performance. The biggest advantage is in rough,uneven terrain. All 4 wheels stay in contact with the ground and the ace rides more level and smoother. I had a few tense moments on some rocky off-camber stuff and I had to lean my upper body towards the up-hill side of the trail to avoid rolling, I think not having the sway bar made this situation a little worse. After a while,I got used to the way it handles and like riding the rough stuff a lot better now.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Good to hear! Sounds exactly like what I want. Didn't get a chance to take mine off this past weekend. (Had a car show to go to) hopefully get it off this afternoon or tomorrow.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My husband & I took the sway bars off both our Aces today. Made all the difference in the world! I could tell the difference the second I just sat in mine! Rides like a completely different machine...sooooo much better. It no longer does that throwing you from side to side when climbing over rocks and uneven trails. I can tell it is going to take a little time to get used to the feel of more body roll in tight corners at speed, though. First time I did it, it felt a little hairy! But, I don't think it will make it much worse if you just use your head in corners or on off camber turns...SLOW DOWN!! We're not spring chickens either...60 & 64...but still love to ride in W.V. In fact, we're up here right now! Can't wait to hit the trails again tomorrow...both Hatfield McCoy and outlaw trails. We've been riding in this area since 2002 and love it!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Has anyone tried to make a quick disconnect for the sway bar. This way you can connect it or disconnect it depending on the trail. I ride different terrain and different speeds. Would like the best of both words.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Has anyone tried to make a quick disconnect for the sway bar. This way you can connect it or disconnect it depending on the trail. I ride different terrain and different speeds. Would like the best of both words.
Now you're talking... hummm

·
Registered
183 Posts
Took mine off today and it's ALOT better. Didn't get to tighten up the rear springs which I think will offset some of the body roll. It's not goin back on that's for sure!!!! :)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Took mine off today and it's ALOT better. Didn't get to tighten up the rear springs which I think will offset some of the body roll. It's not goin back on that's for sure!!!! :)
Tightening up the rear springs does help with the body roll. I had mine in the middle position and it was great on the rough terrain but leaned quite a bit in turns at higher speed. I adjusted the rear springs one notch stiffer and it was a lot better in the turns at speed and was still good in the rough,uneven terrain. a friend of mine was following me in his rzr and he said that my rear suspension was working really well and allowing all the wheels to stay in contact with the ground(most of the time LOL!). Having the rear springs stiffened up with-out the sway bar makes it ride much better than having the springs in the softest position with the sway bar on. My sway bar will be a wall-hanger and gather dust!

Reactions: Fordsc

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've been following this post and am considering removing my sway bar but would like to hear of any negative issues after it has been removed. My biggest concern would be the slow off camber part of trail riding. I like the solid feel of the Ace but also like to have it feel more flexable when going over rocks an rut's in the trail. If anyone has anything to add to the above post I would like to hear it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I've been following this post and am considering removing my sway bar but would like to hear of any negative issues after it has been removed. My biggest concern would be the slow off camber part of trail riding. I like the solid feel of the Ace but also like to have it feel more flexable when going over rocks an rut's in the trail. If anyone has anything to add to the above post I would like to hear it.
As I said in a previous post,steep off-camber stuff is a little more sketchy with-out the sway bar. At one point on my last ride I am sure I was on two wheels on a steep side-hill trail. I found myself with one hand on the steering wheel and the other on the up-hill side front roll-bar tube pulling my upper body over the up-hill side door to help keep me from rolling. I am sure that same spot with the sway bar would still be pretty scary but doable. That is the only real negative for me and I try not to get into bad off-camber stuff. The ride quality and flex with-out the sway bar far out-weighs the negatives for me. I just slow down a bit more for high-speed turns and enjoy the ride. When I had the sway bar on my machine, I had the rear springs on the softest setting. I now have the rear springs on the second to most stiffest setting with-out the sway bar and it absorbs things better than it did before. The biggest improvement is in rough,uneven terrain. The machine stays more level with less rocking side to side and the wheels stay in contact with the ground better. When riding at higher speeds in a straight line,my ace feels less twitchy and floats over things that i used to feel before. If you like to power-slide around corners and drift then maybe removing the bar isn't for you but for the riding I do it works great and you will get used to the handling and the amount of off-camber stuff you can do.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
It's not just slow off-camber stuff. Sudden turns can more easily result in a flip-over when the weight gets suddenly shifted over and the body rolls more. The machine is less likely to slide and more likely to roll when that happens. Most people that are in favor of removing the sway bar like it for the articulation in slow technical riding, or have countered the body roll with progressive springs or something.

·
Registered
201 Posts
90 percent of my riding is 10 to 30 mph and pretty much just standard trails. In WV where I ride it can be most anything from steep down hills with some off camber stuff to badly rutted up hills, lots of rocks, stumps, roots and deep mud holes. I'll think on it some and may give it a try. My thing is when a company puts something on a machine it's there for a reason and really should be left alone. I've been riding for many years but this is my first machine that you sit in, on an Atv you can use your body to over come bad situations but in the Ace about all you can do is "When in doubt, throttle out".

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
My thing is when a company puts something on a machine it's there for a reason and really should be left alone. I've been riding for many years but this is my first machine that you sit in, on an Atv you can use your body to over come bad situations but in the Ace about all you can do is "When in doubt, throttle out".
Not trying to contradict you for argument, just food for thought/discussion:

When a company puts something on a machine, it might be that they have sacrificed functionality in favor of safety, sometimes more than you needed them to - but they are designing "for the lowest common denominator". They are designing to make the machine relatively safe for people of all skill and experience levels. So the sway bar is there to make the suspension resist rolling, which a skilled rider might not need or want.

Also, you can still use your body weight to help in situations with the ACE. That is, unless you have a restrictive harness. Since I have the factory seat belt on still, and it allows me to move a little, I sometimes reach out and grab a roll bar and use it to help pull my upper body to one side or the other to help with tippy situations. It doesn't help nearly as much as on an ATV, but it does help.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts