Polaris ACE Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Not trying to contradict you for argument, just food for thought/discussion:

When a company puts something on a machine, it might be that they have sacrificed functionality in favor of safety, sometimes more than you needed them to - but they are designing "for the lowest common denominator". They are designing to make the machine relatively safe for people of all skill and experience levels. So the sway bar is there to make the suspension resist rolling, which a skilled rider might not need or want.

Also, you can still use your body weight to help in situations with the ACE. That is, unless you have a restrictive harness. Since I have the factory seat belt on still, and it allows me to move a little, I sometimes reach out and grab a roll bar and use it to help pull my upper body to one side or the other to help with tippy situations. It doesn't help nearly as much as on an ATV, but it does help.
You'll get no arguments from me, discussing and getting others opinions is only a smart thing to do. I've about decided to take mine off and if I do not like it just put it back on. I think getting some of the bounce out of the Ace will really suit me and letting the suspension work on what we call the "Girlie" trails will be a great improvement. I'm going to try and hit WV not this coming weekend but the next and give it a work out. Thanks for the opinions. I'll keep and eye on this post for any more info.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey guys i finally did it, the sway bar is out lol! Now i had a question,does anybody here who has removed there sway bar have the 2 inch lift kit installed? I think i might have some suspension binding issues. Im wondering if its normal now that the sway bar is out or if my lift is over working my suspension and causing something to bind?

·
Registered
438 Posts
My first ride in my 900 was bone stock as it left the dealer. Easy relatively smooth trail with only minor stutter bumps near the gated road crossings. When I did get into somewhat bigger whooped bumps, it felt to me that the rear was packing up and caused the machine to 'buck'.

I had read this thread a while back and decided to pop off the anti sway before my 2nd ride yesterday. Rode same trail which had become a lot bumpier since the weekend traffic on it. Only other change was to bump up the rear preload to the mid notch.

For me, a night and day difference for the better. IMHO removing the rear sway bar really frees up the suspension and felt like it makes the entire suspension work better. It was a more comfortable ride and more stabile for me. Even with the larger bumps I encountered it still felt better overall. The front to rear 'buck' as I call it was not anywhere as bad, nor did the machine try and twist sideways as it tracked straighter.

Now all that said, I still need to try it out on real technical trails with tight twisty turns and off camber sections...cautiously to see if Its the right thing for me.

Do I recommend removing these to anyone else? No. Just my own observations after doing so. YMMV

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Hey guys i finally did it, the sway bar is out lol! Now i had a question,does anybody here who has removed there sway bar have the 2 inch lift kit installed? I think i might have some suspension binding issues. Im wondering if its normal now that the sway bar is out or if my lift is over working my suspension and causing something to bind?
Very interested to know as well. I have SuperAtv lift but have not removed bar yet. Waiting on answer.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Very interested to know as well. I have SuperAtv lift but have not removed bar yet. Waiting on answer.
After a couple rides i noticed that my axles werent long enough and it was causing them to become really loose around the splines that connect it to the transmission. I reinstalled my sway bar and now the axles have tightened back up so i have left it in. I rather get beat up a little more then have to replace the splines inside my tranny,also fixed the suspension issue i was having.

·
Registered
510 Posts
The shocks are what limit your suspension travel. Travel will be the same with or with-out sway bar. If the lift is resulting in your axles being too short, they will be too short with or with-out the sway bar when the suspension extends.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Good point, but i have a question. Doesnt the sway bar keep the axles from moving freely and thereby not have so much play on the splines?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Good point, but i have a question. Doesnt the sway bar keep the axles from moving freely and thereby not have so much play on the splines?
The sway bar prevents the suspension from moving as freely. The c/v joints on the axles allow the axle length to change,there should not be any in and out movement on the splines at the trans,they are held in place by a snap ring ,if the axles are moving in and out at the trans,the axles are worn,snap rings are not locked in or axles are too short(lift kit?)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thinking about taking off my sway bar as well..... when I was watching some gopro footage from my brother that was riding behind me I noticed on uneven trails one of the back wheels was off the ground half the time. Having a swaybar on may make the machine more unstable in off angle stuff.... seems like it any ways. I was planning on a sus lift though but it does sound like the axles may be a bit short to get away with a lift and no swaybar.

I want to run 28" tires .... do you think I will need a lift? (will use forward facing front arms too)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I want to run 28" tires .... do you think I will need a lift? (will use forward facing front arms too)[/QUOTE]

Depends on the tire, my 28" roctanes rubbed but my 28" zillas do not. My suspension is completely stock other than removing the sway bar. I think with the forward a arms the roctanes would have cleared also

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thanks I figured it would be a close one, going to order up some 28's soon so we will see, would like a lift too but dont want to mess up my CV's, I wonder how many miles the guy who reported CV issues with a lift and no swaybar had on his Ace, they might of just be worn out from hard riding/high miles or was it from higher angles on the CV or both that caused premature ware/failure.

Any one with a lift and no swaybar please check your CV and axles for slop/play and let us know if more than one Ace is experiencing this issue... would be good to know

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks I figured it would be a close one, going to order up some 28's soon so we will see, would like a lift too but dont want to mess up my CV's, I wonder how many miles the guy who reported CV issues with a lift and no swaybar had on his Ace, they might of just be worn out from hard riding/high miles or was it from higher angles on the CV or both that caused premature ware/failure.

Any one with a lift and no swaybar please check your CV and axles for slop/play and let us know if more than one Ace is experiencing this issue... would be good to know
I was wondering the same thing when i asked but after no one responded i put my sway bar back in. No cv wear and everything stiffened back up. So far no issues, but with the highlifter lift,my 27 inch tires and removing the sway bar i had excessive play in my cvs at transmission. With all the lift i have and after market wheels and tires im also 54 inches wide. I assumed that this meant that the axles are a little short and being over worked with all the extra movement. When looking at other lifts of 3 inch or bigger they come with new axles too with the exception of the portal lifts? The machines are higher and wider then stock so i assumed the stock axles arent up to the task anymore. I figured the same thing was happening with my ace and didnt want to take any chances.

Ps. I only have a total of about 1200 miles.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I finally got a chance to ride my 900 yesterday since removing the front anti sway bar. I see no reason to put it back on. Just like after I removed the rear one, I have the same opinion that it doesn't allow the front suspension enough freedom and causes it to pack up in the bumps. Meaning that the suspension cant rebound fast enough and causes the machine to buck wildly in whoops and stutter bumps as the shocks stay compressed.

Now that said. There may be other factors in play here. I also just installed WE shocks all around. Also added Bandit front springs and corrected the 2-1/2" toe out to 1/4".

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm still waiting to hear an answer to the earlier question of disconnecting the sway bar when you have a lift. My ACE 570 SP has a 2" lift and while I really like the advantages of the extra height the bike now rides really rough. I'm starting to evaluate different shocks, but I'd also like to go with a disconnected sway bar, but not at the expense of my axles.

·
Registered
510 Posts
The sway bar does not limit how far the suspension drops. The shock absorbers do. The removal of the sway bar simply allows the suspension to work independently. i have had my sway bar off for a long time now and have had the rear suspension fully extended numerous times with one rear tire not touching the ground. No axle issues. If the lift extends the shock travel or re-locates the mounting points,you may exceed the working angles of the c/v joints on the axles and have issues, with or with-out the sway bar.

Reactions: jro0005
21 - 40 of 45 Posts