Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
soooo, I have tilt levers on both aces, neither seem to work... Is that normal?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
soooo, I have tilt levers on both aces, neither seem to work... Is that normal?
I've only seen a 570 in person once, but I was specifically looking at the steering column for differences between it and the 325. It looks the same.
Unfortunately, I did not test the tilt on the 570 I looked at.

But I think that having tilt levers, and having them not work, is not something I would consider normal.
These are probably dumb questions, and I am not implying you are dumb by asking them, but...

Are you applying force in the right direction on the lever?
Have you applied enough force? Shouldn't need more than about 10 lbs. Definitely should not strain.
The steering wheel pivot is spring-loaded, pushing up. Have you tried putting downward pressure on the steering wheel first, and then activating the lever?
What happens when you activate the lever - does it refuse to move, or does it move OK, but then the wheel does not tilt?
Is there, by any chance, some sort of restraint like a zip-tie or a bolt, holding the wheel in place that the dealer forgot to remove during prep?

Can you take some pictures of the steering column, so we can compare them to our rigs?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've only seen a 570 in person once, but I was specifically looking at the steering column for differences between it and the 325. It looks the same.
Unfortunately, I did not test the tilt on the 570 I looked at.

But I think that having tilt levers, and having them not work, is not something I would consider normal.
These are probably dumb questions, and I am not implying you are dumb by asking them, but...

Are you applying force in the right direction on the lever?
Have you applied enough force? Shouldn't need more than about 10 lbs. Definitely should not strain.
The steering wheel pivot is spring-loaded, pushing up. Have you tried putting downward pressure on the steering wheel first, and then activating the lever?
What happens when you activate the lever - does it refuse to move, or does it move OK, but then the wheel does not tilt?
Is there, by any chance, some sort of restraint like a zip-tie or a bolt, holding the wheel in place that the dealer forgot to remove during prep?

Can you take some pictures of the steering column, so we can compare them to our rigs?
Yup, the levers move the same as both my Rzrs, yet neither actually tilt... The setups "look" like they would work... I'll grab a few pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
when I was looking at them at the dealer I had a hard time adjusting the steering wheel. To go up was real easy but to go down I had to apply a lot of force on the steering wheel to get it to move. It appears its on some kind of hydrolic or something

·
Registered
17 Posts
when I was looking at them at the dealer I had a hard time adjusting the steering wheel. To go up was real easy but to go down I had to apply a lot of force on the steering wheel to get it to move. It appears its on some kind of hydrolic or something
Yes you have to give it some real oomph to make it happen.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Feels like I'm going to break something when I've tried to move the wheel on either ace. I'll look closer with a light today and see if I can see something binding.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
It's a gas shock, similar to what holds open car trunks and is under adjustable chairs.
Being a bit stiff at first is good because those things weaken with age.
But it shouldn't take a great deal of force.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Just push the lever all the way down. It will stay there. Pull down on the steering wheel with both hands and move it up and down a few times. Some of them are really stiff at first. When you have it where you want it just hold it with one hand and release the lever up. To tilt it up just push the lever down.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just push the lever all the way down. It will stay there. Pull down on the steering wheel with both hands and move it up and down a few times. Some of them are really stiff at first. When you have it where you want it just hold it with one hand and release the lever up. To tilt it up just push the lever down.
Yeah mine was much easier today when out driving it around. First time was tight but now no issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got both to move finally, seemed like something was going to either give or break, finally they moved. Both are still crazy stiff, I'm sure they will work loose. :)

Reactions: Scoundrel

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
both move super easy now... it took some crazy force to get either to move though that first time... I was sure I was about to break something...

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
They don't move too easy now, do they? Did they leak any fluid?
BTW, I stopped by my local Polaris dealer, tilted the steering wheel on a 570 Voodoo Blue they had in the showroom. No problems there.
Might be a run of out-of-spec gas cylinders that hit the production line or something.
Anyway, glad you got it sorted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nah, they feel normal... just like my Rzr XP...

I think they where just sort of "froze" in place to start. They feel fine now, move easy, no sign of any fluid or anything :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello guys, I bought a 2015 Sportsman Ace, the adjustment in steering wheel is very tight to move Handel and steering wheel its self up & Down , And I thought it was strange that everything was so heard to move .. Tight springsaybe ? I don't know.

Deecee13

·
Registered
17 Posts
I figure they just didn't work some of them around before mounting them. When I did my recent coils and shock upgrades on my Miata they were the same way until you worked them around a bit. Even said in the instructions to push them in and twist them a few times. They just need a touch of shock oil to free up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts