Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so this is what im planning to do,
1 gonna wait till a bigger ace comes out
2 wide skis on the front (remove front drive shaft)
3 tracks on the back
4 cab it of course
now my question is , can turf mode be installed from another unit? I think it would be easier to steer in corners , and how does the ACE work with tracks in general? decent speed etc?
im in a wheel chair and have been debating the sled issue for quite some time , I think this should work
thanx for any input

·
Registered
259 Posts
just saying....I would put tracks on it all the way around, and forget about the skis. Unless the track package is Ace specific, I can see clearance issues with body parts. I have a friend that runs a trap line in the eastern Oregon mountains in the winter. He has tracks on his Polaris 4-wheeler, and that thing will go almost anywhere in the snow! The only problem: tracks eat up a lot of horsepower and he had to trade for a bigger 4-wheeler. He gets into places where you would not even think about getting a snowmobile into.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
so this is what im planning to do,
1 gonna wait till a bigger ace comes out
2 wide skis on the front (remove front drive shaft)
3 tracks on the back
4 cab it of course
now my question is , can turf mode be installed from another unit? I think it would be easier to steer in corners , and how does the ACE work with tracks in general? decent speed etc?
im in a wheel chair and have been debating the sled issue for quite some time , I think this should work
thanx for any input
Welcome to the forum!

Do you have any requirements for speed?
Tracks cut the speed roughly in half, so the 570 ACE would have a top speed of about 30 MPH with tracks on it.

I think that if you cannot get turf mode, or possibly even with turf mode, you might have trouble turning with skis on front.
I also agree with Stubby that going with tracks all the way around is a better idea.
First, it's a tried and true configuration that works well.
Second, you don't have to try and finagle turf mode into your ACE.
Third, you'll be far less likely to get stuck.

Snowmobiles get stuck a lot. They're not meant to go in reverse, and while it may work on hard pack it won't work well when dealing with obstacles.
Being that you're chairbound, you probably aren't going to have a good time trying to dig and pull yourself out of a stuck situation.
With tracks all around, you'll be able to take advantage of the AWD.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
The only problem: tracks eat up a lot of horsepower and he had to trade for a bigger 4-wheeler.
Do they rob horsepower, or just top speed? As I understand it, the tracks gear you down 2:1, so it seems like you'd go slower, but you'd have LOADS of power.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
theres no doubt that the ace will come with big HP eventually, how does the sportsman and scrambler work with tracks as far as speed (850 or 1000)? I thot with the skis it would be lighter but tracks all around might work if I can get decent speed with big HP!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hey Viperr, look at the other thread titled Tracks. Get your towel ready, cause you're gonna drool. That set-up really looks good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi All new to the forum .

I have a brand new 2015 570 ace .I installed Camoplast track system on my bike and I would ONLY use them in the winter even though they are four season rated .I got stuck last weekend .When we recovered it out of the ditch we ended up bending the frame and upper control arm.

after spending all this money im NOT impressed .The steering was very good .I thought I might have to install power steering but it wasent needed .The power loss was only on the top end with only a loss of top speed .With the tracks on the bike you can climb a mountain no problem , hell I was drifting on the pavement in 2 wd .I guess you could say im happy and not happy with the track system .I now know the limits of the bikes suspension system and chassis. I will be installing 4 new bigger tires for the summer and run the track system in the snow .

Vehicle Games

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hi All new to the forum .

I have a brand new 2015 570 ace .I installed Camoplast track system on my bike and I would ONLY use them in the winter even though they are four season rated .I got stuck last weekend .When we recovered it out of the ditch we ended up bending the frame and upper control arm.

after spending all this money im NOT impressed .The steering was very good .I thought I might have to install power steering but it wasent needed .The power loss was only on the top end with only a loss of top speed .With the tracks on the bike you can climb a mountain no problem , hell I was drifting on the pavement in 2 wd .I guess you could say im happy and not happy with the track system .I now know the limits of the bikes suspension system and chassis. I will be installing 4 new bigger tires for the summer and run the track system in the snow .

View attachment 3619

I'd love to see more pictures of this entire outfit! Very interesting!

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Bummer that you suffered some chassis/frame damage.
I exceeded the design limits of the ACE a while back and snapped both front struts clean in half, about a month apart from each other.
I guess we just gotta learn what we can get away with and what we can't, or choose a different machine that can handle what we want.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Here is a picture of my bike with the tracks just installed

View attachment 3620
Wow, looks bad azz!! Did it take you very long to install? So you haven't had it in the snow right? We get some pretty good snow and I'd love to see how it handles in deep powder. How serious is the damage? I bet you'll be up and running again in no time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We had 15 feet of snow this winter yes I said 15 feet .

I had the bike out with the tracks on it with snow mobiles and it handled very well in the deep power with me breaking trail BUT it was slow going .I was told by a friend following me that it looked like I was driving into a snow blower the whole time he was behind me lol.

When I got stuck last week on the side of the road I did not have my 4500 lp winch installed and there wasent a bike or two bikes hooked together would pull out my bike soooo I had to resort to my other toy (land rover) got it stuck then had to go back to the house and get my big dodge to get everything out lol.It was a LONG LONG day .You can see the land rover was about to tip over .the right rear wheel was off the ground and the only thing holding the land rover from going over was the plow lol.my wife called it a S--- show lololol

Off-roading Vehicle Regularity rally Car Road

1 - 15 of 15 Posts