Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just posting this here for posterity.

I just mounted a set of 26x9x12 Tusk Trilobite tires on a set of 12x7 Polaris RZR wheels and stuck them on my ACE 325.
They look exactly like Bighorn tires, but they're bias-ply instead of radial, and about half the price.

They mounted great, and I was able to get the beads seated by myself, which is something I have struggled with on the Bighorns.
Maybe the bead seating success was due to actually bolting the tire changing station to the floor, and seating them with the wheels still on the station.

Anyway, they're on the ACE and they look fine. The front left rubs against the firewall lightly when I have the wheel turned to full lock on the left side, when in reverse.
I have not experienced any other situations where they rub, but that might be different once I hit the trail with them.

I'll update this thread when I've had them for a while and have some idea how they perform compared to BigHorns, how smoothly they ride, and how tough they are.
If they're at least 75% as tough as BigHorns, then they're worth it because they are about 50% of the price.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have gone narrower on my RZR and the ACE, and in both cases it has worked out fine. It reduces my overall width in the rear and throws less mud. I have not noticed any negative effects.
A fatter back tire will give you more traction, which might be important in deep mud holes or snow/ice, but most of the time we're not using all of the traction we have anyway.

More traction (wider tire) in the rear also means harder steering on pavement if you don't have turf mode.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Let us know how they turn out in a few months. I do OK with the stock tires, but we have been getting so much rain, they are starting to slip a lot more.
When the stocks wear out, I will be looking for something a little more aggressive.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First ride with them, and I pinched the sidewall between the wheel and a log. Two small slices in the sidewall, requiring two plugs each, just like the two plugged BigHorns I have sitting in the shed.
I'd be more pissed off if I had punctured a brand new BigHorn for twice the price, so I'm not as grumpy as I could be, but...

Another guy on the ride with me did the same thing on whatever tires he's got, so I don't feel like I was riding excessively.

This might happen less if I put more pressure in the tires - but then I'd be more likely to crack a strut again, and the suspension would beat me to death.

I'm really leaning toward the ACE basically being mothballed except when on rides where I need to be 50" or less.
Or selling it and getting an ATV again.
I'm getting tired of having to either dial back my riding style, or amount of fun, or keep breaking crap.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have had GREAT performance and reliability from my Artrex CTX radials. Great tires and comparably priced to the Tusk tires. I had a set of the 26" Trilobites and hated them. Thin sidewalls, wore out fast, and were way smaller than advertised. And those were the HD version.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yea, I fell for it too.

·
Registered
119 Posts
SOF and Douglas both make 12 ply run flat tires and from what I've read they don't ride much different than bighorns. Might be worth looking in to
Here's a review atvtv.com did on them

·
Registered
394 Posts

Bought some dirt devils today. They ran $304 at a local place. Everyone around here wanted about $15/tire to mount. Bought the $40 Harbor Freight tool and took care of it myself.
1 tire had issues breaking the bead from the rim but that's it.
Used a vise grip to hold the tire in place and spun the tool, pretty easy.
I used a water based lube instead of soapy water. That made all the difference.
Also, if the tire changer tool isn't bolted down, it's harder to work.
Will take pictured of this tires on the ace tomorrow.
I have a pic comparing the stock and dirt devil on the rim and off the rimZ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.