Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying I've never had fender flares before on a vehicle so maybe I expected too much. Maybe it was just the conditions but the polaris flares don't seem to help with reducing mud on the ace. As a matter of fact they barely caught any at all. If I had it to do over I would have saved the money. They do look nice, fit nice, and were easy to install. But in the end I don't think the extra width and money were worth it for me. Now to figure out how to rig some mudflaps.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419987448.960250.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419987462.475812.jpg

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Let me start by saying I've never had fender flares before on a vehicle so maybe I expected too much. Maybe it was just the conditions but the polaris flares don't seem to help with reducing mud on the ace. As a matter of fact they barely caught any at all. If I had it to do over I would have saved the money. They do look nice, fit nice, and were easy to install. But in the end I don't think the extra width and money were worth it for me. Now to figure out how to rig some mudflaps.

View attachment 2591
View attachment 2592
They have some Polaris flaps for some bucks

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thanks for the tip... Plus they make the machine wider to hit more branches, etc.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Does the extra flares width arouse any issues with wardens or trail officials if they make a machine over 50" wide, if even by a fraction of an inch?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Does the extra flares width arouse any issues with wardens or trail officials if they make a machine over 50" wide, if even by a fraction of an inch?
I've never seen an enforcement person out there measuring anyone. But then I've only ridden in a very small percentage of the country.
Haven't heard a lot on forums about that happening either.
But some of the qualifier gates are going to tear off the flares.
Even if the gates don't get you, branches and crap on the side of the trail will.

I have the EMP flares and I'm not terribly impressed with them either.
I also still get mud on the fenders, though maybe not as much, and they do snag on stuff.
Thinking of taking them off.

View attachment 2593

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'd be interested in seeing the difference the mudflaps make vs. the flares. I was going to buy flares, but maybe I'll skip them now and just get the flaps.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Yep, we have a couple of tape happy NFS trail rangers here in the Boise NF. They do not have gates and when the map says ATV trail and when you read the small print, an ATV trail is restricted to 50", so they do measure and if you are more than 52½", they will write a citation, with a mandatory Fed Court appearance in Boise. The fine can be up to $1000 for the 1st offense, but the magistrate is very lenient on the 1st trip, only charging $375±.

Reactions: LoWall1

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yep, we have a couple of tape happy NFS trail rangers here in the Boise NF. They do not have gates and when the map says ATV trail and when you read the small print, an ATV trail is restricted to 50", so they do measure and if you are more than 52½", they will write a citation, with a mandatory Fed Court appearance in Boise. The fine can be up to $1000 for the 1st offense, but the magistrate is very lenient on the 1st trip, only charging $375±.
This seems unbelievable that we spend time and money worrying about a few inches. What difference does it make anyway? Like the DNR making me move my flag from the back to the front.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Thanks for the tip... Plus they make the machine wider to hit more branches, etc.
Yes they will do that but they will also take some more mud off of the rear flares and that's what you want...isn't it?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
This seems unbelievable that we spend time and money worrying about a few inches. What difference does it make anyway? Like the DNR making me move my flag from the back to the front.
Devil's advocate:
If they don't enforce the limits strictly, then "a few inches" turns into "6 inches" and then into "12 inches" and next thing you know there are trucks on the trail.
The difference it makes is that some trails have stuff on either side of them that is "fragile" - diatomaceous earth, endangered plants, soil erosion issues, etc.
In some cases they have bridges that were made for ATVs before UTVs existed, and when UTVs drive on them the tires damage the edges of the bridges.
There are good reasons for width restrictions

That being said, there are certainly cases where it's closing the barn door after the horse has left, or places where it truly should not matter, is being used as a political tool, etc.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Let's say the trail is 5 miles long and in that 5 miles there is one 100 yard stretch of endangered plants, with no way around them. That is a primary reason for the entire trail being restricted and enforced. I did NOT pull that example out of my butt, but got it from the Paiute trail, as that is the reason for several of their 50" trails. As much as I despise the BLM, USFS and other agencies that try to tell us what to do, in most cases they are spot on in their trail restrictions.

The whole point of my OP was to let you know that when you are in our region, read the FINE print on the map.
Devil's advocate:

That being said, there are certainly cases where it's closing the barn door after the horse has left, or places where it truly should not matter, is being used as a political tool, etc.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The Texan: "The whole point of my OP was to let you know that when you are in our region, read the FINE print on the map."

Tex, that's an excellent point for everyone everywhere. Last summer a co-worker/hubby/friends were somewhere in Jackson County (WI) and a passing DNR warden ordered the RZRs back on their trailers. The ATVs were fine, but here's where it's important to know the local laws, trail restrictions, municipal ordinances, etc. Personal responsibility ... what a concept. It goes a long way to not wrecking what would otherwise be a great getaway.

Wisconsin law, for example, is indisputably clear what constitutes an ATV vs UTV. ACE is a UTV ... period ... and can only be registered as such here. Like it or not, that means neither ACE nor RZR are going on ATV-only trails. And the rules vary between counties & local jurisdictions. Responsibility for figuring out what can run where lies with the operators.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts