Polaris ACE Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a couple of members here that belong to a couple of Facebook UTV Groups where I'm a member.

One group covers a wider area of the Pacific Northwest, and the other is more local to Central Oregon.

It's not easy for us to travel 100's of miles for overnight, or multi-day events... but local one day rides are just right!

The local Facebook Group is very loosely organized, with a few volunteer moderators. Any member can give a shout-out if they want company for a ride.

The group page has a "Files" section where members can upload, and download GPS tracks and way-points developed by members for local legal UTV trails.

There is no commercial advertising on the page, but there is a separate Buy/Sell sub-group.

The group has been a great benefit for me... Previously, trying to coordinate a ride with Family and Friends was like herding cats... trying to pick a day, and area that everybody agreed on!

We also have a local organization that through strength of numbers, advocates for continued and improved usage of Public Lands through direct communications with the Government Agencies that manage the land spaces.

The point of this post is my suggestion to seek a localized Social Networking Group... or promote the founding of one.

It's a great opportunity to get out with people that have similar interests, and familiar with your home area... And... new friendships that might not occur otherwise.

Here are my two local groups, as an example:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/746675465408508/

https://www.facebook.com/Central-Oregon-Off-Highway-Vehicle-Association-COOHVA-1022232704473941/?fref=ts

·
Registered
438 Posts
We have many Facebook ATV/UTV related riding groups here in Northern New England. Probably close to a dozen. Its a good venue to find rides. We also have basic ATV forum called ATV Alliance. Its been around many years but only the New England section has traffic. Most of the other sections have been ghost towns. Many haven't seen a single thread in 5-6 or more years. I also like active ATV clubs if they are local enough to me as a way of meeting people to ride with. Currently I belong to 6 clubs between NH and Maine.

But I've said before and I'll say it again. Be careful when picking your poison relative to riding with strangers. Be realistic before getting together with folks the 1st time. What is everyone's comfort level as far as speed and terrain is concerned. How long will we be riding? 1 hour? 8 hours?

When I rode with the old core group of friends years ago, I was always considered one of the fast riders. I went with the flow and never complained. In that group if you couldn't keep up the pace and/or complained about anything related to the ride, and you never got an invite again. Some rides where by PM or email invite only and didn't make it into the forums or FB so that the slow pokes wouldn't invite themselves or just show up unannounced to ride.

Unless its just road riding, my ACE cant keep up with the fast group of quad riders any more. So I have to be careful of who I say 'yes' too now.

Years ago on 2 different occasions that stand out for me. 1 was a fairly large group ride which was part of a charity ride event. Our typical group lined up. The event coordinaters were setting up groups of 15-20 mostly by rider ability. They new most of our group as we were club members anyway. So fast with fast and kept families with kids together and so on. Our group was allowed out first. unknown to us is that a lady of @ 40 and her 2 teenage daughters left the line they were supposed to ride with and jumped on the end of our group. We promptly got them lost and we later found out we scared the heck out of them. We had stopped and the girls caught up a short bit later. Poor Mom was crying her eyes out and the girls were upset because Mom was upset. We found out what happened and got Mom calmed down and appologised that we had no idea the snuck into our group. Other than riding their new machines in their yard, this was their very first trail ride experience. Hopefully not last. The rest of us waited while a couple of our group back tracked and found these girls a suitable group.

One of my biggest WTF? moments was on a ride in Waterboro Maine that had been arranged on ATV Alliance. Parts of Waterboro and surrounding trails can be very difficult. Fun, but loaded for miles in sections of basketball sized boulders and exposed tree roots and very twisty narrow trails. Even at the parking area, the locals have cut in many dozens of small trails off the main legal trails. So much that even the best of our trail guides got confused.

Anyway as we unload a young couple show up. A guy in his 20's hops out and asks if we are part of the Alliance ride. We tell him yes and ask who he is as no one knows him. He told us that he had been lurking the Alliance for rides as some one told him we were the best bunch to show folks around. He has a brand new Brute Force 750 in the back of his truck. Which is good. That machine is a beast and more than capable. Someone tells him that we plan on getting in 50+ miles and he seems to be okay with that. Then out of the passenger door pops either his wife or GF. Drop dead georgous. Hair all done up. Then we realize these two are planning to ride 2 up on a single rider machine. And they are both dressed up for a night out...not for the dustiest and dirty trails in New England. No safety gear at all. No helmets or gloves. Cutie Pie is in open toed shoes with heels.

The real WTF moment happened next, as Cutie Pie then proceeds to pull a 2-3 month old puppy out of the truck and is going to hold the dog during the ride. I think the ground shook from all the in unicen face palming the rest of us did at that moment. At that point I open my big mouth and announce to everyone, "You do know that 1 or maybe all 3 of them will be dead in the 1st mile, don't you?" and "but hopefully not the puppy, that would make me cry...and theres no crying aloud in ATV'ing" Everyone except the couple laughed. The guy got mad that we wouldn't go slow for them. And we explained that he needs to be better prepared next time with some safty gear. And absolutely no puppy. And we do organize family rides were we keep in under 20 mph or even slower as we need.

So I am offering these examples so that folks realize this type of thing can happen when riding with unfamiliar folks and circumstances. Everyone needs to start somewhere. But they don't need to start out blindly. Ask questions and talk about concerns.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Because my social media sometimes I receive some gifts as bonuses for free, no exchange. It all depends on some factors. Groups are nice also. I will try it. I travel over Europe often with Lufthansa Airlines and have bonuses from them. Even post their business and first class experience on Instagram. I think it’s all started when I asked http://igautolike.com for help and needed more likes on my page. They explode it as I paid them. Very responsive people. I recommend checking them as they rule overall others.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What's social network do you use, except for Facebook? Actually, I'm a person that is spending a whole fortune on popular things, and actually, I'm glad by the fact that I can spend a lot of personal time on things like automatic instagram like services. Yeah, plenty of those things has helped me to raise my personal time and the thing is, that I've spent the whole fortune on my own business. Much personal time that I've spent is pretty much useful for me, as a person that likes the law of abundance..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts