Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Vendor
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
POLARIS SPORTSMAN ACE 3/8" UHMW SKID PLATE $349.95

Beef up the bottom of that Polaris Sportsman Ace with the UTV INC 3/8" thick UHMW skid plate! Tackle the harshest and gnarliest of terrain your Ace with confidence! Cut in house at UTV INC this skid plate system will ensure your weekend trip does not get cut short!

To purchase: UTV INC POLARIS SPORTSMAN ACE 3/8" UHMW SKID PLATE

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
OK, now add some A-arm guards, make it a kit, and we'll talk. :)
I know Polaris has A-arm guards but they're too proud of them and I don't trust them to not be fragile junk.

·
Vendor
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dont have the stock one any more, sorry and I am estimating on the weight as the one we built is installed on the machine currently.

·
Registered
15 Posts
what is UHMW

with the UTV INC 3/8" thick UHMW skid plate

is UHMW the material it is made of if so what is it?

and if not what material is the skid plate

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

UHMW is a very dense plastic polymer that is tough, but not brittle.
Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have skid plates and A-arm guards for my RZR made out of this stuff.
It is very tough, and yet allows your vehicle to slip over rocks and logs exactly the way aluminum does not.
After a couple of years and a couple thousand miles on my RZR with the skid on it, my RZR skid plates and A-arm guards have some scratches, but are functionally still perfect (and I am VERY hard on the underbody of my machines).
With the aluminum skid plates I used to use, when I got high centered on something I was STUCK, and they got bashed and bent and then when I took them off for maintenance, they wouldn't go back on right.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Update: The UTV Inc skid plate and mounting hardware weighs a total of 17 pounds.
The stock skid plate and mounting hardware weighs 5 pounds.
I believe the extra 12 pounds is well worth the extra protection.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had uhmw 3/8 on my low bed trailer Kingpin, for 250,000 miles before I had to replace it. That's a lot of turning,THE STUF is TUFF!!

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
It fits well, for the most part.
I do have some minor complaints.
It comes up a little short on coverage of the front end.
I had to drill my own hole to access the front diff drain plug without taking the skid off.
They provided a couple of threaded clips to bolt into on the front panel, but the other two bolts need a washer and locknut which was kind of a pain to reach. I don't see why they didn't use threaded clips for those two holes as well.
The provided bolts are a little weak. I re-used the stock bolts and some longer Polaris bolts I had left over from other stuff where possible.
One of the recessed holes for the cup-and-bolt was a little off, but it still works. All of the others were pretty much dead on (1/16" variance) so I know it wasn't just me lining it up wrong.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Do you or others feel that the body pan that comes on the unit it tough enough to protect the bottom when in rocky area?
Is it a option you believe that needs to be added?
Thanks for any input

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Do you or others feel that the body pan that comes on the unit it tough enough to protect the bottom when in rocky area?
Is it a option you believe that needs to be added?
Thanks for any input
See for yourself and make the call.
These pictures are the underbody of my ACE with the stock protection, after about 800 miles of riding.
I ride on mountain trails, often in places where there are patches of boulders, or big rocks sticking up out of the dirt.
(Note: I am very hard on wheels/tires and the underbody of my ORVs. I ride more aggressively than a lot of people.)

View attachment 1464 View attachment 1465 View attachment 1466 View attachment 1467 View attachment 1468

·
Registered
420 Posts
rode hard and put away...well dry in this case...lol
looks like a full body pan will be good for your machine :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Scoundrel,
Thanks for the information and the pictures.
Those make me a believer that I will be buying one of them.
Again it would be interesting the difference between UTV and Polaris one.
When we head to Parker, AZ, Earp, CA in November from NH will probably take southern route and stop in Mesa, AZ at UTV and pick one up.
Still waiting for the call on my 570.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts