Polaris ACE Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ACE has become very hard to shift. It's getting where I really have to jam it into and out of each gear, and a couple of times I had to turn the machine off and it was still very difficult to shift. I understand that there are possible adjustments that can be made, but I don't have that many miles on my machine and haven't fooled with the shifter adjustments so I'm surprised that it's become so difficult to shift.

Can anyone tell me what adjustments I need to make, or what I should adjust? The dealer is a 90 minute drive from me so I would like to try adjusting it myself before taking it to the dealer.

Stan

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
My ACE has become very hard to shift. It's getting where I really have to jam it into and out of each gear, and a couple of times I had to turn the machine off and it was still very difficult to shift. I understand that there are possible adjustments that can be made, but I don't have that many miles on my machine and haven't fooled with the shifter adjustments so I'm surprised that it's become so difficult to shift.

Can anyone tell me what adjustments I need to make, or what I should adjust? The dealer is a 90 minute drive from me so I would like to try adjusting it myself before taking it to the dealer.

Stan
Stan.....all aces are fairly hard to shift for a while. I use white lithium grease liberally on the shifter mechanism and also of the shift linkage and mine has loosened up considerably. Give it a few hundred miles after treating like I said and see if it helps yours
I have never adjusted anything on mine

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vandal, I understand that Polaris, not just ACES are hard to shift (I had a 700, then an 850 Sportsman and both shifted hard, but nothing like this). I'll give the lithium grease a try and spent some time examining the shift linkage, but man, this thing is almost unmovable.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Vandal, I understand that Polaris, not just ACES are hard to shift (I had a 700, then an 850 Sportsman and both shifted hard, but nothing like this). I'll give the lithium grease a try and spent some time examining the shift linkage, but man, this thing is almost unmovable.
Have you by chance ridden up over something that might have gotten into your shifter rod. If it gets bent I could see the shifter freezing up but other than that and maybe the nylon clip that attaches the linkage to the shifter itself, I cant see any reason why its that hard to move. I would expose the shifter and look at that nylon clip and make sure its hooked as its supposed to be Grease it liberally and work the shifter and see what happens. If that doesn't do it there may be something internally that is broken in the trans itself. As far as adjustments I really don't know if it can be adjusted. Take the shifter rod off at the back and see if you can manually move the gear selector at the trans. If it binds up there then it may be an internal problem

·
Registered
510 Posts
X2!^^^^^^^^^^^^^!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I noticed that mine is slightly bent now but I've still never had super hard shift conditions except when parked on an incline
The shifter rod has a slight bend in it from the factory and that's normal, but if you ride up over something it will bend where its not supposed to. I know....I did this once and had to buy a new rod When this happened it bent the rod and broke the nylon clip that attaches the rod to the shifter. I could see the shifting being harder with just a bend in the rod. My shifter was just moving back and forth since the clip broke and all that was moving was the shifter

·
Registered
299 Posts
If it's not bent, sounds like something internal. No other adjustments can be made, it's pretty basic linkage. Check nut on shaft at transfer case. If washer was accidentally installed it will squish the shift plate against transfer case too tight.

Just so others know, soon after buying my ACE I noticed shifter rod was rubbing a groove into fuel tank. Caught in time, removed rod & put slight bend away from fuel tank. Also stuck steel plate on tank with double-sided tape & foam pipe insulation around shift rod & it's been fine since. Few other ACE's in my area that had same problem & they never even knew it!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally got some time to look at the problem again. I checked the repair manual and it stated that the idle RPM when warmed up should be 1250 + for - 50 RPM. Mine was pretty stable at 1250. But what I also noticed is that I can shift it easier with the engine off, but when I start it in low or reverse as soon as I take my foot off the brake it creeps forward or backwards, depending on which gear it's in. That would seem to indicate that the belt is too tight or sticking where it shouldn't? I'll have to get some additional free time and check the repair manual to see how to check the belt.

I'm swamped with just too many things to do and not enough time to address them all, but taking this to a dealer is a half day then leaving it and another half day to get it back, so if it's a fairly easy check on the belt I'd prefer to do it myself.

Stan

·
Registered
246 Posts
If you have creep it could be several things causing this and include:
.. Belt deflection
.. Clutch alignment
.. Sticking sheave not returning to desired position
.. Incorrect belt-to-sheave clearance

It doesn't take much for something to be out of spec which can cause problems. Good luck!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took the ace to a dealer that I trust and they think it is a clutch bearing, whatever that is. I asked them if the clutch kit that I had installed (it wasn't installed by them) could be the problem, but since I used the ACE for a week long Jamboree after installing the kit with no problems they don't think that the clutch kit is the problem

It seems that Polaris has a serious quality control problem. I've had a Sportsman 700 and a Sportsman 850 SP and both were trouble free (until I rolled the 700), while my friends were having one problem after another with their 700's then their 850's. Now it's my turn with first the rear half shaft and now the clutch bearing. Polaris does so many things right, but quality control doesn't seem to be one of them.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I hear ya, the shifter is stiff as hell on my Ace too, last ride I got a lil off course on a skinny off camber section where I had to reverse or fall off/down a bank and it would not move ....perfect place for that not. Had to get my brother to reef on the dang thing just to get it in reverse man ... not cool

Starting to wonder what the difference is between Gio and Polaris besides the price tag

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I finally had the time to take the ACe to the dealer. They replaced the ASM Drive Clutch Basic Bearing, ASM Clutch, one way, and belt. With labor $711.55. It now shifts the way it is supposed to. I have less than 500 miles on the ACE and have already had just about $2,000 worth of repairs.

A friend (a mechanical engineer) who also rides a Polaris has surmised that while Polaris has good ideas for their machines they have a serious problem with quality control in production. Some Polaris machines seem to run forever with no problems, while others have one problem after another. And it's not because of how their used. In our group which is primarily retirement age Polaris riders there are no hot rodders or dare devils, yet some of the machines suffer serious mechanical problems while others are trouble free. The percentage that suffer problems is much too high in my opinion.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I finally broke down and hauled it to a dealer. What they found was that the ASM Drive Clutch Basic Bearing needed replacing. They also replaced the ASM Clutch, one way, and replaced the belt. All told $711.55. It now shifts beautifully.

With less than 500 miles on the ACE I feel that this is a quality control problem. I'd previously had to have the left rear drive shaft replaced because it came out of the differential and ruined the splines. That also required replacing the joint plunger and boot for a total of $330.98.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the same hard shifting on mine. After reading this link about clutches being improperly shimmed ( How to shim Polaris XP secondary clutch - Polaris ATV Forum). I jacked up the rear and my tires do spin in forward and reverse at idle. I will pull the clutch cover to get a better look. I suspect the primary is not shimmed properly.
Could some one with a service manual verify the proper amount of shims for a 570 sp?
Thanks

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Damn, I now have the same trouble again. This Polaris is a money pit!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts