Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since new I can feel a slight but noticable vibration in the driveline at times, but not all of the time.
I feel it when I think its engaging into 4 wheel drive and more so when the front wheels are cut to one side. I have nothing to compare to, so is it normal to feel 4wd engage it or should the engagement be seamless.
I did seem to feel it more on a ride in wet slippery snow with more spin & tire slip.
Is the front end live or locked and possibly just fighting itself when turned or will it slip.
When in 2WD i do not feel it.
I greased the yoke/spline on the forward drive shaft
So is it the norm? any comments
Thanks

·
Registered
525 Posts
My 570 does this at times and I have read on other forums about this same problem in other vehicles with the prostar drive train. I never noticed this problem in my older Polaris vehicles. Since it only happens when AWD is engaged (on my ace) it appears it would have to be in the front differential, probably the roller cage. Some of the RZR's are having a problem with the front drive shaft yokes being out of phase which causes a vibration all the time at higher speeds.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for posting, it does not seem bad not enough in my mind to drop off at the dealer ....yet...... until it blows up...........hopefully under warranty!
My thought is the drive shaft to the front diff is long ,not inline and has 2 off camber angles that may get cause some vibration as well.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Thanks for posting, it does not seem bad not enough in my mind to drop off at the dealer ....yet...... until it blows up...........hopefully under warranty!
My thought is the drive shaft to the front diff is long ,not inline and has 2 off camber angles that may get cause some vibration as well.
Did you see my video in that other thread? In this post.
http://www.aceforums.net/forum/18-a...bration-40-mph-when-awd-engaged.html#post4854
The drive shaft to the front spins whether the AWD is engaged or not, so if it was a vibrating drive shaft, seems like we'd feel it in 2WD.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I experienced the same thing today. 30 miles on my odometer now. Pulled over and stopped. Put it back into gear (high) and it did it again. This time I smelled rubber burning and thought I might have a flat tire. Parked it, checked the tires and drivetrain. Put it back in gear and it was gone. Who knows.....

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
With 30 miles on your odometer, you were probably smelling burning engine sealant. Nothing to worry about there.
Next time it happens try backing up 20 feet and then put it back in forward gear with AWD disengaged and see what happens.

·
Registered
525 Posts
A vibration in the front when in AWD mode is fairly common in newer models. I don't know if it is normal but I read about it a lot in Rangers and RZR's. My Ace does it but my 2013 Ranger doesn't do it. It started to be reported in the 2014 and up models. Polaris changed the front differential roller cage from metal to plastic somewhere in that time frame so I suspect that is where the noise comes from.
The vibration in mine seems to be getting less as I get more miles on it so maybe some day it will go away completely.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I just did some research on parts fiche and Polaris says:
There are two roller cages. One is zinc and one is aluminum (high performance) and they are both used in the Ace 330 and 570 in both years, so that doesn't say much on knowing which one a particular vehicle has without doing some more research. No plastic cages were listed. Must be an old wives tale.

The zinc was the standard from 2010 up to 2013 when some models were available (mostly atv's) with the aluminum cage and then in 2014 and 2015 both the aluminum and zinc were widespread over all models. My 2013 Ranger should have the zinc cage and it runs smooth so I wonder if the vibration comes from the aluminum cage?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts