Polaris ACE Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took our Aces (2014 325 and 2018 500) out for our first rides, love it. Now they are covered with mud inside and out.
What’s the best way to wash them? Garden hose, pressure washer, you wash car wash?
And perhaps more importantly, are there areas I need to stay away from with the water? Things to be cautious of? Things to cover up before hand?
TYIA

·
Registered
321 Posts
Here’s what I do on my 570. I remove the bottom skid plate to be able to wash underneath. Next I remove the rubber plug under each side below the air intake filters, (under back fender on both sides). I remove the air intake filters and wash them. I then remove my rear lock and ride box, (if you have one). I the pull the front of the Ace’s tires up onto ramps, to be able to wash under. I remove the seat and clean it. I remove the cover to access the engine area. I then start at the top and work my way down spraying everything,(careful not to spray off decals). I then take a water hose and rinse out the radiator, (spraying from back to front) flushing out all the crud and dirt, (this should be done after every ride to keep from over heating). I also, pull out the cable on the winch and wash the cable and spray back into the winch. Once everything is washed off good I then hand wash with soap and water. I then put everything back together. I then remove the belt housing and check for water and blow out with a air hose. I might be a little anal but that’s how I do it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yea make sure you flush it from behind the radiator towards the front spraying into the radiator. I don’t worry about getting anything wet. That’s why I pull out the rubber plugs to keep water from getting in so it drains out. I don’t spray straight into the air intake holes but with the plugs out any accidental water that gets in drains out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tip on the rubber plugs, I pulled those I also put a plastic shopping bag over the filters. I also sprayed WD-40 on any electrical contacts I could see and blew or shop vac of extra moisture out when I was done. When I ran the 325 I did hear an arc/spark sound coming from the engine so I shut it off. Blew more air on contacts disconnected a couple and hit him with WD-40. Now I’m letting it dry.

·
Read Only
188 Posts
I power wash to keep mine clean.
But then I get it dirty on the first rip back out.
Not sure why I even clean it. lol.
I find it impossible to go around mud holes.

These Aces are awesome!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Never use a pressure washer to clean your Ace. You will get water where it should not be. Again, never pressure wash your Ace. It says that in the Service manual. Garden hose works just fine.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I use a pressure washer with the nozzle that’s sprays the widest (40%). I forgot to mention I also screw out the red drain plug on the belt cover before I wash. I’ve never had any problem with using a pressure washer but I do keep a 3-4 ft distance from the Ace. Like I said I remove the drain plugs. Now I’m careful not to spray close to the decals or the radiator. Using higher pressure on the radiator will bend the aluminum fins (small holes that let the air circulate through the radiator). Bent fins will cause the radiator to work less efficiently just like getting the fins filled with mud will do. But I have to respectfully disagree that using a pressure washer is bad.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Suggest keeping the red plug in during washing to prevent intrusuion of mud and water, remove after to drain anything that might have entered, but having avoided direct spray on prefilter, no water inside yet.

·
Registered
58 Posts
When I removed the seat and rear panel behind the seat checking the machine out. I see the clutch breather vent hose is sticking up there with no screen or cover or mesh on the end. Just wide open. I live in the woods and we have chipmunks and squirrels and mice that are gonna love to build a home in that clutch housing and tube. Soon I'll be putting a piece of screen over that. One year I checked my rangers clutches and pulled the cover to find a dead squirrel sticking down out of that vent tube.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here’s what I do on my 570. I remove the bottom skid plate to be able to wash underneath. Next I remove the rubber plug under each side below the air intake filters, (under back fender on both sides). I remove the air intake filters and wash them. I then remove my rear lock and ride box, (if you have one). I the pull the front of the Ace’s tires up onto ramps, to be able to wash under. I remove the seat and clean it. I remove the cover to access the engine area. I then start at the top and work my way down spraying everything,(careful not to spray off decals). I then take a water hose and rinse out the radiator, (spraying from back to front) flushing out all the crud and dirt, (this should be done after every ride to keep from over heating). I also, pull out the cable on the winch and wash the cable and spray back into the winch. Once everything is washed off good I then hand wash with soap and water. I then put everything back together. I then remove the belt housing and check for water and blow out with a air hose. I might be a little anal but that’s how I do it.
Thats exactly how I do it. Lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts