Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have just purchased a new Ace for my wife and ridden it mostly on our property. We plan to do some riding this weekend where there will be a few creeks and a small river to cross. On the ATVs we usually just kneel on the seat as we cross. How are most of you doing it in the Ace? I don't think she wants to get soaked when everyone else stays reasonably dry!! Any pics of water crossings?

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I have crossed a stream several times and had water about 6" over the floorboard. I use my right heel on the throttle pedal and put my left foot high in the foot well. Never got more than my right heel wet. I always let the quads go first, so I can see just high deep the water is.

Also, welcome to the forum and I know you will enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I purchased a pair of boot foot (breathable waders) from Walmart and a light (breathable rain coat),very light weight fabric and easy to move in and both repel/ bead water ,great investment.
On cold wet rides I dress in one piece fleece union suit and a fleece pullover ,pair of thin nylon socks and warm socks and have been toasty warm and DRY.
I have also just left my jeans on and a pullover.
I have ridden in rain, sloppy snow ,a muuuuud! covered in nasty mud,water and nasty mud & water where you sit all day.
Been in cold winter mud to my knee,fallen in the mud snow.........toasty warm & dry.
In the summer just shorts and at shirt
At the end of the day hang the jacket, the waders just slide down over the boots, step out,neat & clean no fuss, shoes on and your good to go.
I do not get mud in the truck, destroy mudded clothes, socks,or have to wash them full of mud.
I also use them when washing off the ACE. If you want to clean them just hang and hose off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys. I am really enjoying the information here and the new ACE WHEN I get a chance to ride it. I hope to post some pictures soon.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I just hope to hell the water doesn't get deep enough to get my privates wet. :)
Seriously, in a sit-down environment like the ACE, there's not a lot you can do except wear hip waders.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Another water crossing tip. Have a windshield, even the smaller half one, so that when you splash in, it doesn't go over the top of the "hood" and right into you lap. I say that from experience. It was still a lot of fun though! :D

·
Registered
394 Posts
I downloaded the Ace "book" last night. It said not to go in water higher than the floor board.
That has already been done on mine. Hope it doesn't do any damage.
Only thing I see is the battery getting water over the top of it.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
The book also says not to go up hills steeper than about 5 degrees. :)
The book is full of CYA stuff that the lawyers insist on having in there.

The battery should be sealed, and water does not conduct electricity unless it has a high concentration of conductive particles in it, so you don't have much to worry about there.
The gear cases have breather tubes that go up near the underside of the luggage racks, so they won't get water in them unless the tubes have come loose from their bindings (one guy posted a picture showing that).
The engine air intake and CVT air intake are up above the cargo area, so you'd have to go pretty deep to swamp those.
That being said, there have been reports of the airbox lid not sealing well. The top of the airbox is a few inches below the cargo area, so you'd have to go pretty deep to swamp that too.

The bottom line is that the ACE can go fairly deep without causing damage. But you never know exactly how deep the water is, and whether the ground is flat under that water, or everything might be going fine and then there might be a sinkhole that you go into unexpectedly. Even if you've been to a particular mud hole a dozen times, someone might have gotten stuck in it with a big truck and dug a hole the day before.

If you're looking at a creek bed with clear water, and it is only a couple feet deep, and the bottom is pretty flat, with small rocks in it, then you're probably OK to go over the floorboard. Maybe.

Water crossing and mud bogging is unpredictable and potentially very damaging, which is why the manual warns you so conservatively.
Armed with that information, you can now make your own decision about what water you do or do not want to go through.
Personally, I dislike getting my nads wet while clothed, so I stay out of deep water whenever I can.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Chest waders if you want to stay dry. If it comes over the top of chest waders you got problems. Remember, when in doubt, throttle it out.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The cvt ehaust is much lower in the machine, it comes out right above the cvt housing. This is the main reason i snorkeled my machine alot of good it does to have the intakes way up when the cvt ehaust is so low, good one polaris lol! It may not be a problem as long as you keep moving, but if you have to stop or slow down too much when your in a deep water crossing water will definately find its way in there and then your belt slips and you wont be going anywhere.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Good point. The CVT exhaust comes out just above 'nad' level. :)
I think the reason Polaris did that is because they have the CVT exhaust pointed at the header pipe to help keep things cool behind the seat. The machine was not intended as a submarine, and the CVT exhaust can withstand a lot of splashing, being where it is. The intakes, since they suck in air, had to be higher.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I agree and im Only speaking from experience, when i installed the snorkels the next logical step is to test them and that i did! I found a nice mud hole and sunk it up to the bottom of the steering wheel. I got stuck and it was almost over the top of my waders, i litterally had to hold my breath and stick my head under water to get at the hook for my winch at the same time as swamping my waders lol! The snorkels worked great and the bike stayed running the whole time! I simply hooked up the winch and winched out. My friends had a good laugh and were impressed with my little machine. Sorry no pics we didnt have our phones on us and im kinda glad, probably would have needed a new one lol.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I saw where that exhaust was when I had to pull my seat and back cover to tie down my battery. I may check and see if I can go up and back down with it, if it is indeed a cooler for the exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Well, it comes out right there and the end of the pipe is shaped in such a way to blow air right on the header. So it seems logical...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts