Polaris ACE Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
4 wheel steering on the ace! Hydraulic drives?

Hey polaris, what about 4 wheel steering on the ace! Low range only? Old news for kobota ,john deere,honda etc., lawn tractors all have had it for years.
Hydraulic drive cvt? Differentials ? , hydraulic drives at the wheels? No cvt, no clutch, no belt just thinking outside the box

·
Registered
420 Posts
with the weight, heat, complexity, and cost I don't think hydraulics are a viable option for this kind of machine, at least if you want to have any speed. If you want a low speed heavy towing workhorse then heck yeah, but as you stated, its already been done.
With the torque of hydraulic motors they are great for low speed applications but have some real issues at high speed and when the speed needs to vary a lot and often.
I do love hydraulics myself though. I have a 1974 wheelhorse D160 that is hydrostatic drive and has hydraulics for the 3-point and mower deck (or front blade etc). My zero turn Exmark mower is of course hydrostat drive. I also have a 80's vintage Liftall offroad 8k forklift with a triple stage mast that goes 30' high and uses the same hydraulic system for the steering.

·
Registered
82 Posts
with the weight, heat, complexity, and cost I don't think hydraulics are a viable option for this kind of machine, at least if you want to have any speed. If you want a low speed heavy towing workhorse then heck yeah, but as you stated, its already been done.
With the torque of hydraulic motors they are great for low speed applications but have some real issues at high speed and when the speed needs to vary a lot and often.
I do love hydraulics myself though. I have a 1974 wheelhorse D160 that is hydrostatic drive and has hydraulics for the 3-point and mower deck (or front blade etc). My zero turn Exmark mower is of course hydrostat drive. I also have a 80's vintage Liftall offroad 8k forklift with a triple stage mast that goes 30' high and uses the same hydraulic system for the steering.
Wheel Horse?????? I got a Horse myself, a 73 16 Auto. Its my small snow removal machine with a plow and blower. If all works out with the first Ace next season the second Ace is going to take its place for snow removal with blade, blower, and cab.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ehhhh I doubt it. They sure don't make things like they used to for sure! I guess Ill just have to upgrade every few years?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all you ACE people, Im a new Ace 570 owner and im looking for some advise to up grade my tires. i want to go a little wider and a size taller. im looking for a little more stability on the corners. i don't really go fast i just like to cruse around, but i don't feel comfortable going around corners. so with that being said can somebody give me a couple idea's on wider and or one size taller or / maybe spacers ???
ive been looking at the Maxxis Bighorn's if you all think that might be a good way to go, if so then what size would you all suggest ???,
i don't want to flip over. i already lost an arm in a motorcycle accident, i only have one left.so PLEASE help.
Thank you all VERY much.
Woody

·
Registered
218 Posts
Woody ,
get some new rims
I like 14 inch with 4+3 offset in front and 4+4 offset rears (7inch + 8 inch)
the radial clones like pro comps or others are as good as the bighorns without the inflated price
go with 9 inch fronts and 11 inch rears get the 26 inch tires ,no rubbing ,perfect fit with new rims

you will end up just a tad over 50 inch width but I havent found a gate yet that I can't fit through
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005V2FJRQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

·
Registered
191 Posts
i don't want to flip over. i already lost an arm in a motorcycle accident, i only have one left.so PLEASE help.
Thank you all VERY much.
Woody
Welcome. I can't comment on the tires/stance (sorry), but the roll cage works pretty well. I've put mine on it's side a few times now and even with the standard 3 point harness I was reasonably secure. I would recommend a 4 or 5 point harness though. When I went over I held on tight with both hands. With only one, you might be asking too much of that arm.

That said, the Ace is pretty easy to drive one handed. I did it not long ago just to see if I could. I definitely couldn't go nuts, but it was surprisingly easy to control in the trails. (Says the guy who rolls on his side and hits trees. ha!)

You'll also get used to the "tippyness" pretty quickly. It's more stable than you'd think, but it IS easy to tip if you yank the wheel to tight.

Good luck with your wheels. There have been lots of great discussions on the topic here so I'm sure you'll find your answer. And welcome again to the Ace Club! Whoo!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you Mustang, im not sure if i want to go higher or / taller ? im looking for wider. right now im running stock (25x8x12) front and (25x10 x12) rear, so your thinking (26x9x14)frt) and (26x11x14)rear), how about a 10" wide in the front ? and or why a 9" in the frt ? just wondering what the handling will be like ? im just thinking maybe a little bit wider in the front 10" will help the tipsiness a bit better. just wondering ???

·
Registered
218 Posts
the rims take care of the stability they are wider than stock and the offsets give you an xtra couple inches over stock wheelbase width
the tire sizes are pretty std for radials 9 inch fronts 11 inch rears
and being radials they give a good ride on hard pack .
26 inch diameter is real good on an ace
this is the setup on both our Aces ..........
my 570

and the wifes 325

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I also run the 26x9's and 26x11's but I have mine on 12 inch 4+3 offset ITP wheels and I am 55 inches wide in the rear and 52.5 inches wide in the front. These are really just about the perfect size width tires for the Ace....and if put on 4+3 offset wheels the extra width makes them much more stable and only 1/2 inch taller than stock....so no performance loss that I've ever noticed. I like the looks of yours Mustang. I have the Maxxis Ceros tires on mine, since I am street legal here in Tn. and the less aggressive tread makes for a smooth ride on pavement, and still have great grip on the trails

21 - 34 of 34 Posts