Polaris ACE Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi would like to know what spares members recomend to take when going on long trips to remote locations, im going for a 10 day trip and expect to do 10 hours per day rides with no access to any dealers.
thanks,

·
Registered
315 Posts
I carry a spare drive belt, clutch puller tool. I also carry a spare tire on a rim, small bottle jack, small air pump and tire plugs and a torque wrench. I also have a small bag with tools with metric sockets to replace drive belt, tire; also carry extra fuses, etc.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Papa-t, I hadn't thought of the fuses, clutch puller or the torque wrench. I appreciate the answer.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Well I carry a cheap torque wrench (Walmart special) to check lug nuts and to use in case I need to put the spare on. Also Carry a couple deep well sockets for both lug nuts on aluminum wheels and the sockets for the standard steel wheel which are different sizes. I made me a torque wrench holder out of pvc pipe and a pvc screw top with a piece of foam inside on the bottom and in the top screw to keep it from getting beat up; and a solid bottom glued on with pvc pipe glue.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Papa-t, i have a soft tool bag thats well packed and attached to the tie downs on my rear esky so doesnt move much at all.
will start shopping for the extra items shorthly.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Same here. But I keep mine in my rear box.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The ACE 570 carries the food and drinks, Bao Feng 5W radio, fire stop can, and air horn. The Wildcat carries her spare tire, WC spare, jump start, cig lighter 20 ft extension, wire, belt, tools, highlifter jack, bolts and nuts, baling wire, duct tape, tree limb saw, inflater, plugsx2, silicon self sealing hose wrap, tow strap, belt, waterproof matches, bear/dumbass spray, emergency blankets, air horn can, med kit, fire extinguishers, fire stop can, radios, and lights. And more junk for cameras.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks maxisp1000,

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A big thanks to everyone who gave me some advice on what spares to take, I have attached some pics for your amusement, thankfully i didn't need any spares for the trip and the ACE 570 went great 8 days at 150-170km covered per day used the full tank of gas each day.
I got to use the winch, which only took a couple of minutes to get me out of a bog.
Also tested the roll cage and it performed fine with only the rear brush guard needing to be pulled back off the body.
It also went fine through a few salt water river crossings 100 yards wide and up to 2ft deep.
Only damage on the trip was to the left quarter panel after a collision with a kangaroo at speed, didn't see it coming and scared the crap out of me at the time.

Thanks CS
IMG-20180731-WA0019.jpg IMG-20180731-WA0010.jpg

Reactions: Sporty061200r

·
Registered
315 Posts
What happen with the kangaroo? I have to say there’s probably very few people that can actually say they hit a kangaroo with an Ace. Glad your ok.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Papa-t, a couple of us were traveling a long the side of a large dam with wide open grass areas between the water and the tree line.
We had circled the dam and returning up the other side at around 40 mph heading back to the track, basically the kangaroos run in all directions, as your ridding past.
This one decided to try and over take me coming from behind my rear left quarter, i only saw it at the last second before it hit, i was more concerned it was going to come in between the door and the gap below which would have ended badly.
it was traveling flat out and i think it would only have been a mid size and around 30kg in weight at a guess.
The impact broke off the bottom of the left hand fender.

crash.jpg

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hit and run kangaroo, that’s just rude. Lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hit and run kangaroo, that’s just rude. Lol
Yes it may seem that way if your not travelled in the aussie bush much. tourists love them but Kangaroos are in plague propotions and can be a pain in the ass when traveling in the country. LOL

·
Registered
11 Posts
So what should I get for a spare tire/rim that will work for front and back? 2018 500 and a 2015 325
Thanks
. Since there’s no differential on the rear axle, I carry a spare rear tire. The front axle has a differential (or at least I assume it does) so it should be able to accommodate the difference in tire diameter if I ever have to use it up front. Mismatched tire diameters on the rear axle would likely cause one heck of a pull to the side with the smallest diameter.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Polaris vehicles always come with the same diameter tires on front and rear.
Any wheel with more than 4" on the back side won't work on a strut front end.
Some Polaris wheels are 6+2 on the rear.
A front for a spare is a safe bet for both ends.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The OEM front tires on my 570 and 900 Aces are 205’s and the rears are 265’s, and measuring the the height (still installed on the machines) the rears appear to be about 1” taller. You brought up a good point about the possibility of rubbing on the front struts. I never checked for that.

·
Read Only
188 Posts
^^^You are referring to wheel size and not tire size.
The OD tire for the front and back are the same size.

So if you are keeping a single spare tire,.. use the larger wheel size one.
That way you will ensure they fit on the back and the front.

25 x 10-12 Rear Tire Size. <--Use this one as a spare for both the front and rear.
25 x 8-12 Front Tire Size.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I kept a front steel OEM wheel and had a same size front tire mounted and used for a spare on my 2015 570. The OEM steel rear wheel will not work on the front. At least mine wouldn’t.

·
Read Only
188 Posts
I kept a front steel OEM wheel and had a same size front tire mounted and used for a spare on my 2015 570. The OEM steel rear wheel will not work on the front. At least mine wouldn’t.
Really? I wonder why it wouldn't fit,.. especially if the tire is the same OD.
Usually a smaller rim would interfere when placed where a larger rim would go.
Like... interfere with the brakes.
So,.. strange to me that it works backasswards like you state it does.
Hmm.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts