Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the Polaris 2880458 Waterproof Bluetooth Audio thingy the other day.
As far as I can tell it's basically a bluetooth speaker with some controls on it that sends commands (next track, etc) back to the device that is sending the music to it.

So what would someone drive it with?
Smartphone?
iPod?
Something else?

I guess being bluetooth, I could keep a smartphone snug and dry in a pocket while it plays audio, and maybe the battery would last, especially if I brought along an external USB battery pack.
But is there something better, but cheap, that I could use?

Suggestions?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I don't know, ask Johnny Cash.. heheh..

All that music was from a small little mini-iPod?, little larger than a match book...
with the BT speaker in the back. Worked great as you can tesitify, heheh..
Of course, will work on any device that plays music and is BT set up. Android phone... as long as the speakers are set up for BT you should be good to go...

I velcord the mini to the dash, ran a 12 USB to keep it charged, the speaker is good for 8hrs or so.
Takes a little used to for the controls... like loud and louder...

P1030297.JPG

but of course you can get one of those little "Extra batteries" and just carry it dry in pocket. Problem is the contol access...

I'll be getting the roof top sound system on the ACE when ordering... just to keep it simple..

iPod is at bottom of the dry box.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmm. I have an iPod Nano. Have to check which version it is to see if it has Bluetooth. Guess I could use my phone. I do have a USB extra battery pack.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yah, then you're set to go...
It was the Nano I was using, hard to hit the buttons to hold/stop/volume but works great.

I used that Tube speaker, water/dust proof to something like 3' or so... sounds good, don't need a real prime speaker due to engine noise and people screaming for help... JC drowns'em out real good like.. heheh

Thought "Paul don't do music"...

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My iPod is 5th Gen, so no Bluetooth.
That means I'd have to use a 1/8" stereo jack (there goes the waterproofness) and velcro it to the dash (also not waterproof) and try and control it with the iPod controls, with gloves on. So NOPE.
Looks like the smartphone + battery pack is the thing here. The speaker has controls on it to send commands to the player (start/stop/next track), so the phone can be tucked away in a pocket or bag.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Walmart has great waterproof /shatterproof cases for like $5.

In their camping area. Fits my Galaxy S5 perfectly so may fit the new iphone.

Shown here with suction mount.

Bottom left.

MOUNT Various Mounts.jpg

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'd probably just go the cheap route and use my phone's bluetooth and then keep the phone in a pocket. Bluetooth has a pretty decent range, so I don't think you'd have much to worry about there. The wife forgot her phone in the car the other night. We use it as our alarm. It was hooked up to the bluetooth speaker in the complete opposide side of the house. It was super clear (and loud at 6am). Not bad considering all the walls (and inside the car). I have something similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/DryCASE-Waterproof-Case-Smartphone-DC-13/dp/B002SXMO88 I got it in Hawaii and i could put my phone under the waves without a problem and the touchscreen was still usable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts