Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, so I've been spending the last few months setting up my machine and I'm almost finished. As I've still been a bit crook I haven't had the opportunity to really use it much at all. But it has been a welcome distraction during my recovery. Anyway, I think to date it's travelled all of about 8km (5 miles or 2 hours), and on the short trips around the property I've been decidedly unimpressed with the brakes, they seem to have no feel, they don't seem to bite and pushing them ultra hard doesn't seem to lock up the wheels or likewise stop it overly urgently. They really feel like they have no bite... Is this a symptom of being new pads and disks, the nature of the Ace or is it something else? My XP900 brakes feel great in comparison and give me confidence, as does my Scrambler. I fear if I was following someone in the Ace who stopped suddenly I may well run into the back of them as a result... thoughts please...

·
Registered
80 Posts
jeeza I would give them a little more time to set up. takes a few miles for disc to set into the rotor if after 10 to 15 hours of easy driving you are still not happy take it back and have your dealer check it. if you are really worried about it not stopping you then I would do it now.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
You can speed up the process by getting up to about 25 mph, braking to almost a stop, then speed up again, repeat a bunch of times.
You don't want to hold down the brakes and gas at the same time, you'll cook them.
But if you go through the exercise a couple dozen times, that should help seat them in.

I never noticed a brake issue with my ACE right from the start though. Might be worth having it looked at.

·
Registered
39 Posts
When i was test driving the ace 325, I also noticed that there was no " feeling " in the brake. Is felt really hard. Next week I get my own 570 . I let you know if it needs Some breaking in.

·
Registered
62 Posts
In the owners manual there is a section about brake, brake in
650 miles and 60 hrs and mine will stop and hold me on a 60% grade

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In the owners manual there is a section about brake, brake in
650 miles and 60 hrs and mine will stop and hold me on a 60% grade
Really, 8km in 2 months so far... gees its going to take me another 21 years to brake it in...

·
Registered
62 Posts
We are in Earp, CA / Parker, AZ for winter. Actually from Nov. 15 to yesterday 522 miles and 50 hrs. Unreal riding. Have not had to trailer, just drive right out the park and onto BLM land

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Really, 8km in 2 months so far... gees its going to take me another 21 years to brake it in...
I think he was saying two different things:
1. the manual has a section about a break-in period for the brakes.
2. he has 650 miles and 60 hrs on his machine, and his brakes work well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think he was saying two different things:
1. the manual has a section about a break-in period for the brakes.
2. he has 650 miles and 60 hrs on his machine, and his brakes work well.
That just goes to show how important full stops are in grammar :)

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I've now have 23mi/5.4hrs on mine and can tell that the brakes stopping power has improved.
Shawn.......your averaging only 4 mph. At those speeds you could drag your feet to stop. Lets speed it up a little bit. Then you can talk about brakes....LOL Just pullin your chain bud

·
Registered
79 Posts
Shawn.......your averaging only 4 mph. At those speeds you could drag your feet to stop. Lets speed it up a little bit. Then you can talk about brakes....LOL Just pullin your chain bud
Yeah, yeah, yeah, LOL. With all this way below average temps. this month, the snow will not melt so I can use my trails. I've just been stuck going up and down the driveway. Time for ultra cheesy joke: Since the Ace is belt driven, should you be pulling my belt? LOL!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Yeah, yeah, yeah, LOL. With all this way below average temps. this month, the snow will not melt so I can use my trails. I've just been stuck going up and down the driveway. Time for ultra cheesy joke: Since the Ace is belt driven, should you be pulling my belt? LOL!
Good question Buddy....lol Nice to see someone that takes a joke well and comes back with their own....cheesy or not....lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts