Polaris ACE Forum banner

Will you carry a spare tire and wheel on your Ace? Comment Why or Why not!

• Yes, I plan to carry a spare tire and wheel.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • No, I do not plan to carry a spare tire and wheel.

Votes: 9 75.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Will you carry a spare tire and wheel on your Ace? Why or why not?

Most quad owners don't carry a spare tire and wheel with them but quite a few side by side owners do. Will you carry one on your Ace? Why or Why not?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I will not.

Ever since buying tires with decent thickness and stiffness (BigHorns), I have not had a tire failure that I couldn't solve at least temporarily with plugs.
Most of the places I ride are not far from a service road where I could either limp back to camp along the road, or have someone go get my truck and limp the ATV to the road to pick it up.
A spare wheel/tire set is bulky and heavy.

If I was doing a big cross-country trip or something with little or no support resources, I might mount up a spare for that trip specifically, but for every day riding, it doesn't seem necessary for me.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will not.

Ever since buying tires with decent thickness and stiffness (BigHorns), I have not had a tire failure that I couldn't solve at least temporarily with plugs.
Most of the places I ride are not far from a service road where I could either limp back to camp along the road, or have someone go get my truck and limp the ATV to the road to pick it up.
A spare wheel/tire set is bulky and heavy.

If I was doing a big cross-country trip or something with little or no support resources, I might mount up a spare for that trip specifically, but for every day riding, it doesn't seem necessary for me.
I think I'd agree, for short trips or trips when you have a group, a good tire repair kit may be all you'd need. For longer trips or trips when you'd be alone a spare's not a bad idea.

I would if someone developes a spare tire carrier for back side of roll cage.
I image it won't be long. Someone probably just read this and is now heading to their drawing board, garage or shop to fab one or two different ideas up.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I'm all about spurring innovation and someone building this for the ACE for other people than me to buy.

I called around to the bigger aftermarket accessories guys asking about a skid plate / A-arm guard kit for the ACE.
The answer was the same across the board: We don't have an ACE, we have other projects in the works right now.

In other words: The big money is the XP 1K right now, and the ACE is small potatoes.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^Thanks for the link Ace Ventura! That looks pretty nice, It certainly puts the spare tire size into perspective too. It looks HUGE on the back of the Ace!

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
I fabricated my own mount, and carry it along with a jack. I am more concerned with a tire slipping off the rim then just getting a flat. I sometimes wheel alone and the spare does not get in my way.

Its not so bad on the back of the ace.

ACE REAR TIRE.jpg ACE SIDE TIRE.jpg ACE SPARE MOUNT 1.jpg ACE SPARE MOUNT 2 - Copy.jpg ACE SPARE MOUNT 2 - Copy.jpg ACE SPARE MOUNT 3.jpg JACK 1.jpg JACK 2.jpg Jack 3.jpg

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I carry tire plugs and tire pump. Hope that's all I need
X-2

I agree that the one time I may really need a full spare is NOT worth the inconvenience of it hanging on the back for the rest of the thousands of miles I ride.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I do not and probably will never carry a spare tire. We carry a tire repair kit filled with plugs, patches, a mini air compressor and the tools to fix tires on the spot. My hubby has had 8 flats with his stock tires (he was getting good at nascar tire repair speed lol) on his ranger and we plugged them all and then finally bought him ITP Baja Cross 8 ply tires and no problems since. Ply and the fact that they are run flat tires no need to carry a spare. I run iTP Mayhems on the Ace and they are 6 ply. Makes a huge difference in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I carry a spare when I go to a riding area a thousand miles from home. The spare stays in the toy hauler. If I mess up a tire so badly I can't plug it, then I send someone back to the trailer for the spare. It hasn't happened yet.

·
Registered
68 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Geerhead, thanks for your support. Post up a couple of photos of your package when you get them.

Also let us know your opinion of the Growlers after you try them. I have run the Growler BG2.5 XOR tires on my quad for over 1,300 miles and love them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts