Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Go for the KFI Winch Mount. As for the winch, it depends on what you want it for. If you want it for "just in case", then a 2500 will do fine.
I recommend Warn or Viper, but some people like the cheapo Badlands ones. I say never buy anything from Harbor Freight that your life may depend on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks looking at the KFI or EMP (?) mount. not sure which is better. agree on the warn and viper and not cheap stuff. Ride the Colorado mountains so when I get stuck it is usually really stuck. Debating the 2500 or more issue??

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
The EMP mount is thicker and stronger. So when you hit something, it will screw up the mounting tabs and crush your radiator. I'd rather have the thinner and cheaper winch mount get crushed.

See this thread for details on that: http://www.aceforums.net/forum/30-ace-accessories/580-new-winch-mount-kfi-products.html#post4977

If you go larger than 3500, you might also need a better battery to run it. See this thread for more on that: http://www.aceforums.net/forum/13-a...ll-larger-battery-such-odyssey-pc925-agm.html

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Just got an Ace 570. Trying to decide on make of winch and mount. also what size??
I have a Venom 3500# winch. These winches aren't talked about much but its made by a couple guys that used to work for moto-alliance or Viper. I have had mine for three years now on two atvs and its as solid as you can get and a great buy. You can find them on E Bay and they make model specific packages and come with a KFI mount. When I bought mine it was 189.00 and had the winch saver rubber stopper included

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have a 3000 lb Viper on my machine, and believe me it has really been used. It works just great, and the only problem I have had with it, was a ground wire on the contactor vibrated loose. After I found the problem it was a simple fix. I would certainly buy another Viper winch if I needed one.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
I purchased a Warn because it came with the synthetic rope (Big fan of synthetic) and because it was on sale.

The XRC by Smittybilt are nice winches. I have a 10,000lb XRC on my full size 4x4 and it is solid.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I have a 3000 lb Viper on my machine, and believe me it has really been used. It works just great, and the only problem I have had with it, was a ground wire on the contactor vibrated loose. After I found the problem it was a simple fix. I would certainly buy another Viper winch if I needed one.
Stubby, if you could keep Duane on all four wheels, your winch will last a lot longer...lol

Reactions: Stubby

·
Registered
259 Posts
Vandel, you are probably right there.... but the two winches have gotten all three of out of trouble and unstuck on more occasions than I can remember now. I have seen the underside of his from both sides now, and he has seen mine from front to back. Good times with family.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 4000 lb smitty winch and for 200 bucks you can't go wrong . I opened up the motor after a year to check it out and it looked new . No water got in , I'm very impressed . Not bad for China built , and that don't happen often

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
I have found that there is a difference in the quality of products built in China......

......On one hand, there are products built to the exacting specifications of companies who value their brand and reputation thus imposing high quality control standards.

......On the other hand some companies are aiming to hit a price point with low end materials and manufacturing standards who deliver goods for those who can accept a lower standard of quality.

I purchase both kinds depending on the application after weighing the acceptable amount of slop.

I like to think Smitty builds the former.

I was told that 4wheelParts owns SmittyBilt.

I have a 4000 lb smitty winch and for 200 bucks you can't go wrong . I opened up the motor after a year to check it out and it looked new . No water got in , I'm very impressed . Not bad for China built , and that don't happen often

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I have found that there is a difference in the quality of products built in China......

......On one hand, there are products built to the exacting specifications of companies who value their brand and reputation thus imposing high quality control standards.

......On the other hand some companies are aiming to hit a price point with low end materials and manufacturing standards who deliver goods for those who can accept a lower standard of quality.

I purchase both kinds depending on the application after weighing the acceptable amount of slop.

I like to think Smitty builds the former.

I was told that 4wheelParts owns SmittyBilt.
Quote:I have found that there is a difference in the quality of products built in China......

......On the other hand some companies are aiming to hit a price point with low end materials and manufacturing standards who deliver goods for those who can accept a lower standard of quality

Id say China isn't the only country whose industry operates this way. We also live in one. Greed and the bottom line is prevalent in all countries and industry to a certain extent

·
Registered
394 Posts
I work in the oil and gas industry. We are not allowed to purchase anything made with Chinese steel due to all the failures that caused accidents and loss of life and property in the past few years. Around 2001, we are schooled on what to look for. Especially Chinese made shackles and slings.

I don't mind buying a Chinese made tool, for home, that will be used once or twice,. But not any that will be used over and over. I have found that the ratchets and sockets I have tried fail pretty quick compared to the ones I have had for years, even decades.

I am not a fan of most of their products, due to quick failures in the past. They may be getting better, but I won't pay to find out.

I am a big fan of buying American, that's why I have the Polaris. I don't think it compares to Honda, but it makes me feel good to buy American.

I have a good friend who bought a Chinese side by side real cheap, and less than one day of riding, the engine locked up. Luckily he got his money back.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Curious as to all the interest in KFI or EMP mounts and Viper or Warn winches. All good products, yes, but the same money you can get the Polaris 3500lb winch w/synthetic and the right mount. All made for your machine. What am I missing?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
What you are missing is that with the Polaris winch kit, you get a cheap plastic fascia that goes around the winch. And when you break it, as several people already have, Polaris wants $200 for it.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
The polaris brand is not something I recognized as a "premium" I would have put it in the catagory of Smitty, Champion or Superwinch. I considered Viper and Warn to be premium.

That being said....I got a great deal on a Warn, and having already owned the wireless control, it was an easy decision for me.

As far as the mounts go, polaris cover us plastic and expensive vs steel. I paid $50 for the KFI and it was again a no brainer. I think they have ended that promo.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Curious as to all the interest in KFI or EMP mounts and Viper or Warn winches. All good products, yes, but the same money you can get the Polaris 3500lb winch w/synthetic and the right mount. All made for your machine. What am I missing?
Where can you get a Polaris 3500# winch and mount for less than $200.00? Then you will also have some Chinese junk, because they aren't made by Warn anymore. We all talk about the products you mentioned because we know they are good products and work, and also know Polaris products are usually overpriced Chinese crap. That answer your curiosity? Good luck to you

1 - 20 of 40 Posts