Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Does the fuse blow the second you use the winch switch? If it keeps blowing something on that circuit is shorting out. Just had same problem with accessories fuse keep blowing when trying to turn on any accessories.
Unplugged all my accessories then plugged back in one by one until fuse blows. Fuse blew when plugged in LED strips, turns out power wire from LED strips was rubbing on frame.

Since you only have the winch kit on winch fuse, I'd check all those wires...most likely one has rubbed through & grounding out on frame.
Only thing that really causes fuse to blow is being overloaded or shorting out on frame. A bad ground spot will also cause this.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Possible it is simply overload. Only winches I have had were much bigger. What are realistic expectations for a 2500 lb Polaris winch? The two times fuse blown, individually I could explain away, but both not sure if is coincidence or something going on. Haven't used the winch much to have a feel for it. Couple days ago l tried to pull a bush out of the flower bed. Sitting on grass thought it would either pull it out or slide ace on the grass, but it tightened up and burnt the fuse. Earlier this month I was stuck in a field where trail crossed wet spot, hooked to another machine and tried to use winch help out. Winch did work, too much noise to tell if it started and failed or didn't go at all, but the other machine did not have any trouble pulling me out. Little concerned that winch not going to do me much good if I get stuck with no one around to pull me out.

·
Registered
395 Posts
the only thing that goes to a fuse on a winch is the control circuit(aka switch and solenoid) the winch cables itself are straight to the solenoid and then the battery terminal block.. so you should start with checking the solenoid to be sure no wires are touching on the from the small wires on the solenoid to the switch.. the solenoid or conctator whatever you want to call it just uses a small current to energize a coil that makes the main cables make contact to the battery , be sure that your winch wires are in the right spot on the terminal strip.. if you have any big cables on the orange terminal it'll blow the fuse. good luck

·
Registered
395 Posts
its kinda hard to see but the main red cable should be on the terminal all the way to the left... the signal wire for you winch switch should be on the orange . and the black should be on the far right.. if its any other way like the red on the orange the winch is trying to operate with only 20 amps and itll blow... Auto part Vehicle Steering wheel Steering part Car

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dig some digging and found the main power wire "red" was on the middle terminal with the orange wires. Switched to the end terminal with the incoming red wire heavy gauge wire. Worked much better hooked on bush dragged ace across the grass. Had wonder how circuit with a twenty amp fuse powered the winch, apparently it is not supposed to. Amazing thing is it took over a thousand miles without getting stuck to need the winch. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
395 Posts
Dig some digging and found the main power wire "red" was on the middle terminal with the orange wires. Switched to the end terminal with the incoming red wire heavy gauge wire. Worked much better hooked on bush dragged ace across the grass. Had wonder how circuit with a twenty amp fuse powered the winch, apparently it is not supposed to. Amazing thing is it took over a thousand miles without getting stuck to need the winch. Thanks for your help
Glad it was a simple fix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone have fuse burn when using winch?
I do when I click the winch button but I have a light bar connected to the accessory but that works. Then the light is off and I click the I button for the winch and it pops. I even up the fuse. Then I disconnected the winch wires from the winch and try again and it pops still

1 - 8 of 8 Posts