Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cart's ahead of the horse in that I don't yet have my ACE, but planning things out ahead of time.

First add-on will be a winch. Where have you found the best place to mount the contactor? I don't always like OEM locations for a lot of stuff, so I tend to rearrange things to simplify future repairs. There's nothing magic about it ... just a matter of where best to put it. Manufacturers typically don't supply much spare real-estate for gizmos & doo-dahs, hence the question.

Same question re: an aux fuse block. I've been a big fan of Blue Sea Systems equipment for automotive applications, but this would be my first venture with an install of this type. Even if space is tight, I have no qualms fabricating what it may take to utilize whatever space may be available.

Thanks in advance for your help on this.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
The cart's ahead of the horse in that I don't yet have my ACE, but planning things out ahead of time.

First add-on will be a winch. Where have you found the best place to mount the contactor? I don't always like OEM locations for a lot of stuff, so I tend to rearrange things to simplify future repairs. There's nothing magic about it ... just a matter of where best to put it. Manufacturers typically don't supply much spare real-estate for gizmos & doo-dahs, hence the question.

Same question re: an aux fuse block. I've been a big fan of Blue Sea Systems equipment for automotive applications, but this would be my first venture with an install of this type. Even if space is tight, I have no qualms fabricating what it may take to utilize whatever space may be available.

Thanks in advance for your help on this.
I mounted my comtactor on the right side of the storage box. I like keeping the contactor out of the weather. Its also an easy place to use short wires to the contactor from the power block located under a removable panel in the storage box. The power block has a positive side, negative and a switched positive for the accessories. Very easy to wire the ACE for a winch. As far as a fuse panel someone else will have to answer that one. Good luck

·
Registered
447 Posts
Trail Mix,

I just added lights and a winch to my Ace. I pulled the front plastic as I had quite a bit of wiring to do. This is where I ended up mounting the solenoid and circuit breaker. This photo is taken from the driver's compartment facing forward.

View attachment 2568

The solenoid and circuit breaker are circled in blue. This is to the left of the steering wheel. Before I installed permanent wiring I hooked everything up to make sure it all worked. That is all the loose wires around the radiator cap. I secured the winch solenoid and circuit breaker to the frame with zip ties. There was quite a bit of space there underneath all the plastic. The disadvantage of this mounting is that I will have to remove the front plastic to do repairs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

Hayseed, a couple questions:
Are you using relays for the lights or just wiring them straight thru the switch(es)?
Did the CB come with your winch or did you add it? If added, what amp-rating did you go with for what winch?

I'm ordering some stuff soon for a project on my truck, might as well get what I can to save the shipping.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Trail Mix,

The CB came with my winch. It was not insulated so I wrapped it in electrical tape after I connected the wiring. I installed a SuperWinch Terra 35. I did not see it mentioned in the Ace forums but it had good reviews in one of the RZR forums. I don't know a lot about winches so I just took a shot in the dark. I live in a rural area so I buy a lot of things from Amazon because of their good delivery. They had a good price on the SuperWinch.

I did install relays for the lights. This thread http://www.aceforums.net/forum/30-ace-accessories/1073-santa-brought-accessories.html gives the details.

As compared to a RZR, the Ace is fairly compact. I did not find a lot of room to install electrical. I wanted to connect everything up front because of the battery terminal block that is located there. So, I pulled all the plastic off the front and looked until I found some open space. The place that I mounted the solenoid and circuit breaker is completely surrounded my plastic and should stay dry. In this same compartment just behind the dash on the right side of the Ace is where Polaris has their switches and 12V socket. I also put my ooga horn there. I tried to mount it under the black plastic that covers the speedometer like Scoundrel mounted his but mine would not fit there. I must have bought a slightly larger horn.

View attachment 2569

It is worth noting that the SuperWinch came with long power cables. They were designed to be run back to the battery compartment. By mounting the solenoid and circuit breaker up front, I had a lot of excess cable. I had to shorten the cables and crimp on new connectors. I end up buying a hydraulic crimper at Harbor Freight. It was on sale and with a 20% off coupon it cost just a bit over $40. It comes with a set of dies that crimp connectors from 14 to 0 AWG. I don't know how long it will last but it worked great one time.

View attachment 2570

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Great minds seem to think alike, Hayseed, but you get the blue ribbon on this one. I'm eyeballing the Terra35, too ... but the prize is yours with the ah-oogah horn. That is fantastic!

Excellent pix. They give a much clearer idea of what I'll be up against. I see what you mean about having to hunt around for some open space. If worse comes to be I'll just have to split things to multiple locations. Relays, for example, I like to keep clustered together. But plenty of times I had no option but to scatter them throughout a vehicle for lack of space (try adding anything larger than your thumb in a Titan engine compartment). Plus, there's a big difference setting up something with a 160A alternator vs what's on an ATV. It also doesn't help that I'm so über-anal when it comes to overbuilding almost everything and making it look good when finished.

Other than a winch, I can't think of much more than some lighting I'll be adding (I'm too old-school to even think about a 12-bazillion watt audio system). I'll be checking out the sponsor vendors, for sure, but toys on the list include:
Oznium Marine Floods -- Under the "Action Shots" tab is a picture of them mounted under a RZR. The amber ones don't seem to attract as many bugs ... especially while pondering a Mid-Summer Night's Stuck.

XKG Light Bar -- First I saw this was on a friend's Jeep. Haven't asked any whitetails if they actually find the light more calming, but the green light certainly cuts the characteristic glare of traditional bunny burners.

Carling Contura-series Switches & Blue Sea Dist. Blocks -- Jim & the guys at OTRATTW have a huge selection of custom-engraved switch rockers and body combinations. They're pretty close to OEM contours, but the novelty engravings add a unique touch. (BTW: OTRATTW = Over The River And Through The Woods)

Hella Relays -- I've had great luck with these relays vs their cheaper counterparts. Though specializing in Dodge Ram stuff, Geno's carries the skirted variety with the mating watertight plug.

Blue Sea Fuse Blocks, Bussman PRMs, ANL & MRBF Fuses/Holders -- I like one-stop shopping whenever possible, either at the big-box hardware emporium or on-line. These guys have a lot of power distribution devices, including Blue Sea marine products.

The links are to vendors I've used in the past, and to give an idea of what's all out there. Hopefully our sponsors carry the same, as I'd rather patronize them when I can.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts