Polaris ACE Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a Canadian Tire 4000lb winch...no name brand....
I installed the solenoid in the front storage compartment....ran the red wire with the breakers to the pos side to the power block up front....ran the black to the neg side.
The solenoid 4 lugs are marked on top 2 red and 2 black...ran a pos and neg cable to the winch...all seemed to work well til I started putting the front winch bumper on....it touched the black terminal on the winch and sparked like crazy....long story short is that one of the black lugs on the solenoid is showing hot like the 2 red ones......
Any idea of why a black lug is hot? If so how would I wire it.....

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Hard to say without the wiring diagram and instructions.
Usually winches have black/red for connecting to battery terminals, and two different colors (yellow/blue?) for connecting the contactor to the winch, to avoid confusion.
Then there is usually another couple of thing red/black wires to go to keyed power to operate the switch/solenoid.

Without seeing some diagrams for your winch, it's hard to say.
Can you take a photo of the instructions and any wiring diagrams and upload it?
http://www.aceforums.net/forum/14-off-topic/409-how-post-photos.html

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Bought a Canadian Tire 4000lb winch...no name brand....
I installed the solenoid in the front storage compartment....ran the red wire with the breakers to the pos side to the power block up front....ran the black to the neg side.
The solenoid 4 lugs are marked on top 2 red and 2 black...ran a pos and neg cable to the winch...all seemed to work well til I started putting the front winch bumper on....it touched the black terminal on the winch and sparked like crazy....long story short is that one of the black lugs on the solenoid is showing hot like the 2 red ones......
Any idea of why a black lug is hot? If so how would I wire it.....
Wraith, both the wires going to the winch are HOT. The solenoid tells one or the other to energize when the winch button is pushed. If you were pushing the button when it touched the bumper it did exactly as it should have. Now if it is hot all the time then the winch will run that direction constantly which is a bad thing. It almost sounds like you have your hot wire from the power block wired to the wrong lug on the solenoid. Retrace your wires and without having any wires going to the winch, put a test light on them and see if they are lighting up constantly or only when you push the winch button. Make sure you have the wires from the power block going to the right lugs on the solenoid. As Scoundrel said a diagram would help us diagnose this problem a lot easier. Does it say on the solenoid + by one red lug and - by one black lug. If so these are the two lugs that should be connected to the red and black wire coming from the power block and the other two red and black lugs should be going to the winch...Good luck

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
No it the started solenoid, it has several wires going to it. 2 are big red ones.
What!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread is about a winch solenoid

·
Registered
510 Posts
What Vandal said ^^^^^^^^^^!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts